It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Escape and Evasion Kit - Got one?? - What's in Yours?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
With the ever worrying possibilty of martial law and finding yourself on the wrong side of it I wonder if people are putting together escape and evasion kits and what they're putting in them?

Here's a few items I'm starting to put together.

- OS Map of local area (it may have details you didn't know about).
- Red filter led light.
- Lockpick set (make sure you know how to use it - good tutorials on youtube).
- Short crowbar/jemmy.
- Something you could improvise into caltrops (since they're illegal everywhere).
- Climbing rope (with foot loops tied) and decent grappling hook.
- the ever present and faithful multitool!

Any thoughts?

edit for spelling.

[edit on 27-9-2009 by Stanton Dowd]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Excuse the ignorance, whats a caltrop? good thread i will be interested in seeing the replies. You might want to think about a compass, if you havent already.

reply to post by Stanton Dowd

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
caltrops are generally 3 sides spikes which you could use to put under someones tyres to blow them or drop out of a moving vehicle to blow the tyres in a chase. Used in the ancient ages by Ninja's who threw them around the enemys feet.

i generally stick with your standard survival kit.

Fishing line, hooks, sturdy knife for chopping wood, flint kit with striking block, cammo paint etc.

If the original poster took a walk down my street with his kit and got stopped by the police hed be locked up for being a suspected burglar!

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Hey Stanton, great thread.

I'm not sure what type of E&E situation your refering to but I kind of have everything lined up and then I toss different stuff into a pack depending on whats up anyway. Here are some of my basics.

Appropriate clothing for the occasion can make the man… or at least make the man less observable.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ae2ae9f1fc2e.jpg[/atsimg]

This is a tiny corner mirror so I can peek around corners quickly. To make it small I just broke it off of one those long extendable mirrors that mechanics use.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f8f7b0fb77d6.jpg[/atsimg]

One of the most important pieces of my E&E kit is a small olive drab sleeping bag. It is an effective short term cover against thermal imagers as long as I keep it away from my body while not using it. It also provides decent improvised cammo while hunkering down (there is a lot of bush in and out of my city) and it keeps me warm.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4196d25084b9.jpg[/atsimg]

A small dry-bag to keep my electronics stuff dry so I don’t hesitate to use waterways. Yes, I know it looks like a diaper.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b08193337997.jpg[/atsimg]

It never hurts to have a small tool kit along in case you have to solve a problem with something along the way.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/98bdd6413131.jpg[/atsimg]

Some times I take this small ghillie poncho and head dress. It really makes me disappear behind the smallest chunk of foliage.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2cc34b653064.jpg[/atsimg]

Usually though I take this bug net that I dyed grey. It is a lot lighter and smaller than the ghillie suite. It breaks up my profile and blends me into the bush quite well. It keeps the bugs off and I can see through it nicely.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8515bdc5ced1.jpg[/atsimg]

Situational awareness is everything. A scanner with the important local frequencies and an earbud is essential.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6ca4f9212c6f.jpg[/atsimg]

Along the situational awareness lines, I never leave home without the thermal imager and night scope. I really like to know who I’m going to run into and where I’m going at night without active devices that will give me away.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/8e01b0cc4f118c84.jpg[/atsimg]

I also carry a multitool, a GPS and a pay as you go cell phone that has no connection to me. You never know when you are going to have to call for backup or information or to call in a decoy sighting.

There may be o few things I forgot to mention. If I think of anything I'll post them.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

That is superb!

I was just putting kit together "just in case".

I can't help but wonder what your lifestyle is to need such a kit on a regular basis.

Very Splinter Cell!

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
If you have someone running after you who is barefoot (you've just woken them up by tripping over something in their house), barely crushed walnuts make fantastic caltrops.

Make blinding powder.

Take raw egg,
poke holes at both ends of the shell ,
blow out the stuff (or use it for breakfast).
Let dry
Fill with cayenne and/or mustard powder. Or whatever else seems reasonable.
cap both ends with hot melt glue or wax.
Throw it at your opponent to blind.

You'll need a hollow stick for those times you have to throw yourself into a filled ditch under water. So you can breathe.

Don't forget your wire, elastic bands, and matches. Small enough to carry in your back pocket.

I was always a fan of MacGuyver.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Never leave home without a /knife/multitool/550 cord/duct tape/neodymium magnet/water/powerbar/change of clothes/ on my person in a little backpack.

Never drive a car without a /tire iron/rope/chain/pump/spare tire/fuel can/water/flares/tools/jack/blanket/black & silver duct tape/

[edit on 9/27/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by reticledc
Never leave home without a /knife/multitool/550 cord/duct tape/neodymium magnet/water/powerbar/change of clothes/ on my person in a little backpack.

Never drive a car without a /tire iron/rope/chain/pump/spare tire/fuel can/water/flares/tools/jack/blanket/black & silver duct tape/

[edit on 9/27/2009 by reticledc]

Hi, that's sound advice but I was hoping to hear particularly escape and evasion stuff (?) - It's all useful stuff that you list and I agree but do you carry specfic stuff for E&E?

What do you use the magnet for?

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
One thing i have that i think more people should have is a portable solar charger, its called the Freeloader pro www.thinkgeek.com... and a 10 gig color smart phone with touch screen and radio capabilities, i have thousands of manuals and documents stored on it. Everything from diy electrical and plumbing to advanced field medics guides and survival material. Not to mention music how to videos and gps capabilities.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
A go bag is for the purpose of survival.
E&E is no different, except the priorities change.

/knife/
Useful in so many ways

/multitool/
Gets you into some places, and gets you out of others.

/550 cord/
Ditch your go bag over a wall and retrieve it later.
Double it up and get yourself down a wall.
Use it to add obsticles or traps to your trail, if you decide to leave one.

/duct tape/
Again, so many uses, especially securing items in inconspicuous places.

/neodymium magnet/
This item might not seem too important, but you can defeat a lot of security systems with a few of these.
You can also use them as a makeshift compass

/water/
After all the running you will be doing, you're gonna be thirsty.

/powerbar/
You need to keep your energy up

/change of clothes/
No brainer there, a simple change of clothes and you might be able to throw off your pursuers.

on my person in a little backpack.

Same thing as before, but in this case, you don't want to be stuck on the road.

An army blanket is great makeshift cammo, not to mention leaves and debris stick to it like Velcro.
Awesome versatile invention, an army blanket is.
Flares, and or a flare gun can be an excellent offensive device.

Then again, this all depends on how far you are willing to go to escape and what you are being sought after for.

If you can't see it coming before hand, then you are 50% more likely to be caught within the first 24 hrs.

I am not going to give away what I would be willing to endure and have tested myself to endure, but you can get the idea.
You have to be willing to do some crazy stuff to get away, in today's world.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

Interesting post!

You're right too, you would have to do some crazy stuff to get away.

A survival kit should be on your person anyway - your "bomb blast kit". It's the stuff that would be on you if you had to hot-foot it but there are items that would lend themselves better for E&E which you should consider to be in addition to your basic survival kit. I think some of these are in my original post but I don't think I've covered them all.

Ah the magnets I understand can get past some electronic locks - something I've not tried yet. Maybe dainoyfb could shed some light?

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by zeetroyman

In most places the kit I mentioned is completely legal to own and have in public - as long as you're not caught using it!

Apart from caltrops which I think are a big no-no, which is why they'd have to be improvised if you needed some.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stanton Dowd
reply to post by reticledc

Ah the magnets I understand can get past some electronic locks - something I've not tried yet. Maybe dainoyfb could shed some light?

Unless there is a neat trick that I'm not aware of I would guess that he is talking about defeating the magnetic switches on some doors and window frames. These are slowly being phased out and replaced by PIR detectors (motion detectors) that monitor the whole entrance area but there are still many around. Unfortunately they are generally mounted on the inside of a room so defeating them will only get you out of a place unannounced.
The biggest concern is that while applying the magnet to the sensor (usually consisting of a magnetically sensitive reed switch) you run the risk of momentarily opposing the force of the installed magnet and activating the zone.
Since the wires leading up to the magnetic switch generally have to be exposed for a short distance I would think it is a much safer bet to use a digital multimeter and a potentiometer with some t-clips or small alligator clips attached to it. Its a little bulkier than the magnets but the total cost is about fifteen dollars and the multimeter has many other handy uses (testing batteries, figuring out why your car wont turn over, de-fusing IEDs, testing light bulbs, etc, etc, etc). I used to carry a little credit card sized one in my EDC.

Edit to clarify

[edit on 29-9-2009 by dainoyfb]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
A word on lockpicks.

You mentioned lockpicks in your original kit and that there are some good tutorials on youtube. Picking locks requires a lot of practice if you want to be able to open even 50% of the locks you encounter. I've been picking locks since i was around 10 years old and sometimes even good front door locks that i buy still cause me a little trouble.

What i'm trying to say is that if you don't have lots of practice on many kinds of locks then you should probably abandon the lockpick idea and just carry a crowbar

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I have made several kits based on items found in some commercially ready packs. Rat Cutlery assembles several high quality E&E kits. I keep a RAT RC-4 in my BOB. They make great knives based on their experience in the field and in training.

www.ratcutlery.com...

www.ratcutlery.com...

I have purchased several of the components for a kit from countycomm.com

countycomm.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Wow - I need to prepare after seeing those photos!

My kit is entirely based on a "get to the country" supplies and my samurai swords

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Are you kidding me??

Lockpicks, thermal imaging, night vision?

What a complete waste of valuable space. Are you building a BUG OUT BAG, or a CRIMINAL ENTRY BAG?!

The only thing that you mentioned is a couple of "power bars" for food. Were you going to use that battery operated junk to steal food?

Geez people. 60% of what you carry should be food, not that fancy gizmo that takes up weight and space. Get back to basic survival gear, The heck with all the gizmos, chargers, and worthless junk that will fail you.

A Bug Out bag should have the tools and gear that you need to survive under primitive conditions, while attempting to escape and evade. Your one person, trying to get to a safe location, withoutbeing spotted. Why are you people so worried about tactical military gear. You dont need night vision, because at night you should be up in a thicket fast asleep., You dont need thermal imaging devices for anything other than a criminal assault.

I also didn't hear anything about your actually having a place to escape to. or are you going to be one of those nutcases that wanders around in the woods looking for a firefight, living off the land, and pretending to be Rambo, or something?

get wise budro. Those techie gizmos always fail when you start counting on the,. Period!

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
A TYPICAL BUG OUT BAG SHOULD HAVE:

EMERGENCY FIRE MAKING KIT:
Waterproof Matches
Disposable Lighter
Candle
Fire Starting Cubes
Magnifying Glass

EMERGENCY FISHING KIT:
#10 Fishing Line
#16 Fishing Line
Treble Hooks
Single Hooks
Sinkers (Assorted Weight)
6’ x 6’ Gill net

TENT & GEAR REPAIR KIT:
Tire Patches
Goop Jelly
Compact Sewing Kit
Duct Tape
Electrical Tape
Bailing Wire
Screen (Patch) Material

TOILETRIES KIT:
Toilet Tissue
Sanitary Wipes
Hand/Face Soap
Comb/Brush
Small Mirror
Shampoo (Small Bottle)
Anti-Septic Wipes

FIRST AID KIT:
Standard First Aid Kit Components
Emergency Suture Kit
Prescription Medicines
Emergency Dental Kit
Iodine Tablets
Over-The-Counter Pain medication

WEAPONS CLEANING KIT:
Gun Cleaning Solvent
Gun Lubrication Oil
Patches
Bore Brushes (Assorted Size)
Bore Swabs (Assorted Size)
Cleaning Rod & Handle
Wire Bristle Brush
Q-Tips
Silicone Wipes

MESS KIT W/ EXTRA’S:
Eating Utensils
P-38 Can Opener
Spatula
Pot Gripper
Cheese Cloth
Salt & Pepper Shaker
Plastic (Roll Up) Cutting Board

Lensatic Compass
Binoculars
Ka-Bar Knife
Leatherman/Gerber Knife
Sharpening Steel
Entrenching Tool w/ Carrier
Folding Bow saw w/ extra Blades
Eastwind 26” Camper’s Hatchet
(Large) Utility Knife
Waterproof Pack Bags
GI Rain Ponchos
Camper’s Bungee Cords
Cyalume Chemical “Snap” Lights
GI Heat Tabs
Folding “Tommy” Stove
Jungle Canteens w/ Carriers
Water Purification System w/ extra Filter
Nylon (7/16” x 50’) Rope
Mini-mag-lite Flashlight w/ Carrier
Parachute/50-50 Cord (50’ Spool)
Mosquito Head net
Insect Repellent
Battery Operated Portable Radio
2-man Mountain (Dome) Tent
-20 Sleeping Bag w/ Cover & Fleece Liner
Bear Spray

Freeze Dried Food Packs
Meals, Ready To Eat

MRE's weight about 1lb to 1.5Lbs per pack. Freeze Dried food packs weight anywhere from 4.2 to 9.8 oz (1 Man meals)

The above equipment list will weigh about 56 Lbs alotgether, and doesn't include weapons or ammo.

Having all those stupid electronic gizmos will add extra weight to the pack, and serves no useful purpose. The fact that rain, sleet, snow, and other weather factors will affect these gizomos, should tell you that their uses are limited.

The gizmo's are great if your already inside of a retreat, but lets face facts here people, their kinda silly to be humping around in your pack, unless of course, your going to become a criminal; the kind that we all talk about shooting on sight, and splitting up the gear with members of our group.

Originally posted by AlaskaFranke
Are you kidding me??

Lockpicks, thermal imaging, night vision?

What a complete waste of valuable space. Are you building a BUG OUT BAG, or a CRIMINAL ENTRY BAG?!

The only thing that you mentioned is a couple of "power bars" for food. Were you going to use that battery operated junk to steal food?

Geez people. 60% of what you carry should be food, not that fancy gizmo that takes up weight and space. Get back to basic survival gear, The heck with all the gizmos, chargers, and worthless junk that will fail you.

A Bug Out bag should have the tools and gear that you need to survive under primitive conditions, while attempting to escape and evade. Your one person, trying to get to a safe location, withoutbeing spotted. Why are you people so worried about tactical military gear. You dont need night vision, because at night you should be up in a thicket fast asleep., You dont need thermal imaging devices for anything other than a criminal assault.

I also didn't hear anything about your actually having a place to escape to. or are you going to be one of those nutcases that wanders around in the woods looking for a firefight, living off the land, and pretending to be Rambo, or something?

get wise budro. Those techie gizmos always fail when you start counting on the,. Period!

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by AlaskaFranke

As the OP has stated more than once this is a thread about E&E equipment not BOBs of which there are already plenty of threads for you to go and get involved with if you want to discuss that topic.

The equipment I have I take with me because over the years it has proven to be priceless at keeping me safe and uncaptured. I have much of the equipment I have now because on more than one occasion it would have been a godsend to have. This equipment wont be for everybody or for every situation just like not every BOB or EDC will be the same. But it suites the situations that I'm typically involved in and this thread is here to provide ideas that others may find useful.

Edit for typo and to comment on negative comments that use words like "stupid" but decided not to bother.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by dainoyfb]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlaskaFranke

Yes, this is why the military and law enforcement doesn't rely on any technology whatsoever. It will never be of any help. They just run around completely blind and without communication.

And who is counting on anything?

And why are you taking these things when they will always fail when you start counting on them?
Binoculars
Leatherman/Gerber Knife
Folding Bow saw w/ extra Blades
GI Heat Tabs
Folding “Tommy” Stove
Water Purification System w/ extra Filter
Mini-mag-lite Flashlight w/ Carrier
Battery Operated Portable Radio
Bear Spray

Edit to add:
If you like I can start tearing your BOB apart too, Mr. I need shampoo and a salt and pepper shaker in an emergency.....budro.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by dainoyfb]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join