It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The dead end kids.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
i just dont see why we dont work on our green problem... it would fix both solutions, you rebuild cities, to work towards the green codes, rebuild infrastructures, maybe even throw in a new rail system like the one they have in europe... work on recycling and alternative fuels.. and while we work on all that, we make new jobs for the people who cant get jobs.. promote a healthy society so people dont die of laziness and obesity. and with the money we save from switching over to a greener society, we could start to chip off of that huge debt we owe to other countries.. also, i dont think the goverment should step in and do all this, i believe its a responsibility to every single business, big or small, to convert over to this. because face it, without a population (people dying because of global warming, obesity, ect...) how could they ever make a profit? i also believe there are so many jobs people could do if someone would just put them to work and pay them to do it.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Look, I will be honest. A lot of teenagers are lazy. Do you want to know why? Too many d### adults never forced them to get off of their rear and do anything. I can not tell you how many kids I've met - in the mentioned demographic - that don't even know how to do laundry. Their parents never made them wash clothes or dishes much less mow the lawn. Yet they all had Xbox360s and $1000 computers. Parents rush their kids around to dance classes and soccer games then dump them at home to do whatever they want. They ask nothing out of them and enforce no sense of responsibilty. The result is the generation we are getting now.

I must say something in their defense. I have been looking for a job since late 2008. I have applied for over three hundred jobs. Out of three hundred tries I have recieved ten call backs. On seven of those I was considerred too qualified. On one I was told they needed "more diversity," and another manager told me that he was afraid I would take his job. Then tenth one I was turned down for. The federal gov't refused to clear my back ground check to work in the airport. I was told that it was because I was known to "associate with undesirable elements." However after trying for almost sixty days no one would tell me who the elements were or why they were undesirable.

I actually had one HR guy tell me that he had recieved three hundred resumes in the first hour a job was posted on Monster's website. A friend that works higher up at a major retailer said that some locations have a waiting list over five hundred names long.

The kids aren't allright but you can't blame it all on them.

[edit on 27-9-2009 by MikeNice81]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I’m definitely one of these ‘dead end’ kids. I’m 24 year old college graduate. My degree is in business administration. I had a 3.8 GPA and a year of internship experience. I was Salutatorian of my high school for crying out loud. It took almost a year to find a job…any job. I graduated in May 2008 and was completely unemployed until this February. I had to relocate to a city two hours from home for my crummy $10/hr job that does not even cover my living expenses… If my parent’s were not paying my auto insurance and phone I’d be sunk. This has been the most degrading experience of my life…I went from a popular college athlete graduating in the top 10% of his class to absolutely nothing. I don’t’ have television, I take cold showers, and I can’t use the heat/air because I cannot afford it. I’ve become completely ocd. I work my self to death at work…through my breaks and lunch…just hoping and praying that someone will notice that I am a dedicated hard-worker and save me… My self-confidence is the pits. I’ve developed fat-phobia and watch my diet like crazy. I spent 2 hours in the gym everyday after work. I guess it’s control issues… and my life is out of control. But then again I have no life and no friends because I can’t afford them. I just hope things turn around soon or I am gonna need major therapy!

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelsoftheapocalypse

Going green is all well and good, and it is surely needed just for dependency's sake. We would be more advanced as a civilization, should we learn how to work with nature, rather than against it. Common sense. Our technology would flourish. You can't reverse-engineer nature... so, yeah.. we've been wasting our time trying to develop against the grain here.

All that said.. It is just not possible today. You mentioned that all business big or small, should buck up and start going green. How? The government still strangleholds the technology and controls all private sector corporations who provide it. For a basic example.. Ever see how expensive it is to go solar? It's not feasible for the average consumer or small business owner. This is the way they want it to be... Absolutely no self-reliance. They want to continue with the Babylonian consumer slave system.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Has anyone also taken these numbers and added them to the number of people retiring. I think we may be missing additional joblessness by not accounting for how many people who are walking into retirement and taking the position they had in the company with them.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

One need not look further than what happened in Russia.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
same thing in bulgaria,i guess im lazy too,couse i got picky too,i want atleast to work with normal people like 8 hours a day,and not to return tired

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

Maybe you didn't notice, but they essentially teach you the same line of history from 5th grade onward. Higher level math is taught, but not in such a way as to have any practical application. I don't know how many engineers I have worked with who can't do basic equations, or identify the equations they should use to arrive at answers, but there have been quite a few. How did they get through calculus is beyond me.

High schools should be teaching law, accounting, basic chemistry, mechanics, electrical systems, programming, all areas where the math they teach can be put to use. In addition, they should teach students something about what was going on in ancient Europe, like around the time of Christ and earlier, in addition to giving some history on the far east, and the Americas.

Our schools simply are not teaching kids the important stuff, and the smart ones see it.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The .com revolution wasn't created by people with college degrees, it was started by people who dropped out of college, or people who had developed their technology before they graduated college. People who learned how to program while still in high school are what drove the last technology wave, and will probably drive the next one, in spite of the efforts of the PTB.

Everyone called gen X a bunch of slackers, but they did far better than the boomers.

You know why our schools don't teach kids about the important stuff?

Because if they did, most of these kids would be starting their own businesses instead of begging corporations for jobs.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Been unemployed for a month now but I was terminated. Appealing that decision but even the appeal seems like a waste of time. They basically pressured me into confessing to something they had no evidence of, never actually asked me whether I did anything wrong and basically accused me of lying, etc before I was terminated.

Regardless, unemployment seems to be holding my claim hostage as I still have no money and still haven't found anything. I'm looking every single day and plan to sign up with a temp agency tomorrow to see what's out there.

I've been self-sufficient for almost 8 years now and I don't like the idea of having to move back in with my parents if things don't improve soon. I would rather be homeless than do that.

[edit on 27-9-2009 by Janitor From Mars]

[edit on 27-9-2009 by Janitor From Mars]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Yes and it all comes down to the greedy at the top. While influencing greedy people down the chain with the luxuries they hold. With the right technology available and proper teaching the young generation could easily advance man to proper heights. If our birth rights weren't stolen from us, names like Tesla wouldn't be stricken from our textbooks.
The OPs article is another form of fear mongering by the elite to say, "It's not the system causing problems, it's the people."

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
There is no need to call American Youth lazy, there is no need to address frustration toward the elderly caste in this Country. This issue is much larger then 'groups' of people. The corporations/parent companies can't sell products to people who don't have an income. Next I believe we will begin to see corporate mergers, buy-offs and shut-downs (not unlike our Auto Industry) as this matter becomes worse. They shot themselves in the foot essentially. In their attempts to maximize profit, we the people go without and in the end they will too as it's evident in how we are witnessing the system break down before us.

[edit on 27-9-2009 by Mr.Hyde]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Thank you for the OP.

People better pay attention to this. This will hit the world like a tidal wave in the coming years.

Many people already feel that the bail-outs are a sort of inter-generational theft. Add to that bleak prospects for making ends meet now or in the foreseeable future and I fear we may come to blows over this.

Linking in support of the thread topic:

Young Workers: A Lost Decade

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by geo1066

Use Onion only for fun.

www.youtube.com... This video puts in perspective. The problem with the old measure is that it keep changing.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by pegasi51
Possibly, but I think there will be a lot of baby boomers hitting the retirement age soon.

News Flash!

They can't retire. Their 401ks are decimated. They are applying at Lowe's and McDonalds to supplement their income.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr.Hyde

Yes. The only thing left for Capitalism to eat is itself.

[edit on 27/9/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by eubie1085
I had to relocate to a city two hours from home for my crummy $10/hr job that does not even cover my living expenses…
This, along with other things I have seen on other threads, makes me think why things are so expensive in the US.

On another thread someone posted the cost of milk and bread, and it's almost twice what we pay in Portugal. I thought that the US was a big producer of agricultural products, so I was expecting basic things like milk and bread to be relatively cheap, after all, the US is a oil producer and gas is much cheaper than in Portugal, that imports all oil it uses.

A 10$ (or 7€) a hour job would be considered a well paid job here in Portugal (for a 40 hours per week job), but if you have to paid twice of what we pay for our food then what looks like a well paid job becomes a badly paid job, but even if reduced to half that would be enough for you to have a normal life (with hot water).

I cannot understand why there is such a big difference in prices, or that difference can be explained.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosis111

I couldn't disagree more with this. Yes that may be the data, but there are SOOOO many entry level jobs, at least in my area, available that I don't know how anyone DOESN'T have a job. It all comes down to the

1. Laziness of young Americans
2. The unwillingness of them to work a job they think is BELOW them and
3. Well 1 and 2 were sufficient enough for me.

Illegal Immigrants are thriving in my area, I truly believe the "they took our jobs" crap is just that and if you want a damn job you will work whatever is available.

I live in Idaho by the way, just for reference. And I am 29 so I am a young American who has a felony, but still manages to keep a job that pays me over 45K a year (plenty of money in Idaho). I work in food production and I can not believe the whining and pickiness of some of the people we hire. Things like "12 hours is too long to work", "I can't do overtime", "I can't work nights", and we start out 70% of our employees at $15.00 plus an hour!!!

Unbelievable, yet our plant is full of Mexicans, many are believed to be illegal ready to work.

So 52% unemployment rate should be divided by 5 and that is the real rate compared to the laziness rate.

[edit on (9/27/09) by gnosis111]

Ive just got myself into debt to get a degree because I was sick to death of slave labour jobs just for me to merely survive, so I will NOT be a slave for this stupid piece of paper we call money.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

They could at least teach how things happened that lead to Portuguese and Spanish expansion and ultimately lead to the discovery of the Americas. They could also teach about the roots of our civilization, at least the Roman Empire.

Don't they teach any of those things?

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceMonkeys

That's the entire point of completing Higher Education. To make a better wage. So, perhaps you should reconsider.

[edit on 27-9-2009 by Mr.Hyde]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join