It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The dead end kids.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Right at the time I graduated high school, the local economy where I live collapsed, and did not begin to recover for another 15 years. In fact, housing prices are stil considerably lower than when I graduated when inflation is taken into consideration.

The only people who succeeded where people whose families had established businesses, or, the people who left.

I left the area, but through a complicated story, wound up joining the Navy. Personally, I think it probably was the best thing I ever did. The training in the navy is far superior than what you get from community colleges, or other civilian training I have attended. The military will teach you disipline, and give you opportunities to do things you will never get in the civilian world. I recommend it for everyone. In fact, even it I succeed in obtaining the money to send my child to college, I will recommend that she enlist in the military first.

The advantage of the Navy is that you will least likely be stationed in a war zone.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
sorry but isnt this a post on dead end kids? surely then removing accounts of recreational drug missuse is counter productive & even bigoted? i must admit i am suprised that a website that suports the truth is trying to brush the reality of the very lifestyle you are discussing under the carpet? as for lazy... i am too talented to have to work in some lame drive through. as are a lot of kids!!! what thier parents dont seem to realise is if you can hack a bank, or you can blow a club up on the turntables or you can stylishly vandalise public property (eg banksy). you dont have to work & sombody in a collar & tie barking orders at you when he is no more than an ant under your trainers is laughable.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
oh & furthermore the term "dead end kid" implies a kid who has reached a dead end. ie there is a wall infront of him preventing him from traveling in the direction he wasn going & leaving him with 2 options... option 1 turn around... option 2 kick the wall down. yes?

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunknhorny
sorry but isnt this a post on dead end kids? surely then removing accounts of recreational drug missuse is counter productive & even bigoted? i must admit i am suprised that a website that suports the truth is trying to brush the reality of the very lifestyle you are discussing under the carpet? as for lazy... i am too talented to have to work in some lame drive through. as are a lot of kids!!! what thier parents dont seem to realise is if you can hack a bank, or you can blow a club up on the turntables or you can stylishly vandalise public property (eg banksy). you dont have to work & sombody in a collar & tie barking orders at you when he is no more than an ant under your trainers is laughable.

This is the exact laughable mindset that I am talking about.

Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else

-Fight Club

I hear so many excuses in this thread, woe is me, boo hoo I cant find a job, no wonder our country sucks so bad, a good clip of you have no balls, and would rather take the easy way out than have to get your prissy little manicured hands dirty.

PS- I have owned/managed a club/restaurant, DJs make nothing, half of them do it for free booze, and "hacking banks"...haha, I wont even comment on that

[edit on 29-9-2009 by whistler16]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

I'm getting confused here. What parts do you agree with? If I came across as 'singing the blues' over career changes, I by no means meant it that way. I, like yourself, am considered a 'job-hopper'. I didn't list all of my endevors just to keep my post to a reasonable length. My personal claim to fame is that I can build or fix anything but 'cash registers and computers' and I've torn a few cash registers apart. During the 'Reagan-nomics' era, 'job-hopping' was considered a bad thing due to it showing that you had no stability in life. I've always considered my past endevors a blessing, good and bad, as it has made me who I am today.
Your point on living in basically the slums and ghetto life is all too true. My point was that 'Life is easy, Don't make it hard'. In other words, Life is what you make of it. I don't want to hear that 'I'm stuck here and there is nothing I can do about it'. Oh bull!
If the truth is to be known about myself, I am a felon and have been a 'ward of the state(s)' many times. More than I care to think about. But my point being is that I chose that way of life at that time. Nobody and nothing led me to it. I finally got fed up with making it and then losing everything over and over everytime I got busted. I now say that I fly with the Angels but have danced with the Devil.
My whole point about this topic,'Dead end kids' is that there isn't a dead end. Life is full of opportunities. We all are born with choices, Make one! If your desire is to work, either get a job or create one. But don't put the blame on someone or something else.

Thank you 'Vagabond'.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The era of "be anybody you want to be" ended with the baby-boomers.
They have drilled into us the idea that regardless of our history and past, if we work hard enough at something, we can become it.
If you change your mind more than your underwear, because you are still trying to find what it is that you ARE good at, then employers in the baby-boomer generation will look down upon that and not hire you.
If you are a mindless workslave and stick to the same meaningless job for five years earning minimum wage, then employers will look at that as a sign of stability and 'work ethic'.

The ethics in a workplace go both ways, my friends.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I thought I would find this thread full of pictures. come on ATS get with
the program

[img-300x250][atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/07557a16e590.jpg[/img]
this is one of our dead enders.

and here's the other

[img-300x250][atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c788a50a3f1b.jpg[/img]

the young lady.

[edit on 29-9-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by nrky

I'm 49, Do you concider me a 'baby-boomer'? Growing up in the '70s, I've always considered us the 'Lost generation'. Right after Vietnam when the vets wouldn't talk to us about what was going on over there and right before the birth of the computer era.
See you just go to prove one of my points-Blaming it on someone or something else. ie-'The Baby-Boomers'. I may be considered over the hill by some of the youngsters but I fully believe that even at my age, if I wanted to go into another line of work, I could! Why and how you may ask? Simple, I have self-esteem and am very confident in myself.
As what was brought up by a previous poster'...even if you have a menial job, think about and look at how what you do has importance and how possibly it can be improved on.'(can't find their exact quote right now)

Idle minds lead to idle times...

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
A menial job is basically a job that requires no to little training, anything that any person can do. Who wants to work in front of a cash register earning minimum wage? I bet it is not fun, but if there were no cashiers, there would really be no business. Then again they are starting to make "self checkout" type registers these days.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosis111

As the saying goes, the entitlement generation starts work on Wednesday, calls out Thursday, and expects to be CEOs by Friday.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
If your parents can help pay for your education, then health care seems like the most financially sound option. It's probably the only field where your job can't be outsourced to India (though I've heard that some hospitals are importing doctors from Africa and Asia for lower salaries).

Almost everyone in my immediate and extended family is in the medical field, and does well financially. I was initially resistant to follow in their footsteps, but at 38, I'm going back to school to train as an ultrasound technician. I already have my bachelor's and master's, but in an unrelated field where jobs are hard to come by and the salaries are stagnant. It'll take me about 2 years to finish the coursework, but I'll be able to get a job anywhere I want and have a starting salary of $50K.

My mother managed to raise 3 girls, buy a home and put us through private schools on a nurse's aide salary. As a nurse's aide (they're called "patient care technicians" or "medical assistants") it helps if you can also read EKGS, do phlebotomy and know medical billing/coding. You'll be able to make more money and not just be relegated to changing beds on the med-surg units. Working in the emergency care units gets you a higher salary. CCU, ICU and ER nurses make more than med-surg units.

One of my sisters is a registered nurse, and she makes over $90K annually. Mind you, she works insane hours and is always tired. Another sister is an Licensed Practical Nurse. She makes about $45K, but that's only because she has 5 kids and works part-time. Many nurses work 12 hour shifts and do agency work for additional income. Some nurses just do agency work as a stop-gap measure, or because they prefer having control over their own schedule.

My 19 year-old niece recently dropped out of college and moved back home, since she couldn't find a job. Her mother is now paying for her to go to a school to learn how to be an EKG tech & phlebotomist. Training as an EMT/paramedic would be another alternative. Basically, anything in the sciences field will be steady and lucrative for the forseeable future.

Originally posted by InfiniteOmnipresence

Originally posted by useless eaters
reply to post by loam

I agree, how totally sad. To work and provide a living for yourself goes hand in hand with self respect. To loose self respect at such a young age has powerful implications. Nice thread!

Over the past 2 years since I have graduated from high school, I have had a couple of jobs. Mostly working for family friends and a few odd jobs. This summer I struggled hard trying to find a decent job. Had no luck so tried to get a crappy job....... NO LUCK! I was competing with people for a part-time dishwashing JOB!!! $6.50/hour!!! I can't even find slave labor at this point. And yes it very much has had a negative impact on my self-respect. I'm freaking 20 years old, and I really do feel like an adult now. Yet I'm still living with my parents... Odd jobs cant pay rent... too risky! Thinking about college but I dunno what to study! what should I do guys? please give me some advice before I lose my mind!

Thanks, Omni

Edit: spelling

[edit on 28-9-2009 by InfiniteOmnipresence]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
i think we must be talking about a different type of dj & a different type of nightclub. you see where i come from the dj makes more in a night than the manager makes in a week. most nightclub junior managers take home about £1000 a week. where as the dj (who is generally considered to be the talent) can make up to £10,000 a night. i am definitely 1 of lifes brats. without going into too much detail about my lifestyle as a resident drum n bass dj its safe to say i have lived comfortably from it & rarely have had to pay for anything. i dont have huge amounts of money but i have my own gym & my own recording studio bought off the back of skills i learned during my misspent youth. my point is that the age of be who you want to be is definitely not over!!!! you just cant be wasting peoples time anymore, you actually have to make sure you are good at what you do. if you are really good at what you do you will never have to take orders from anybody. the trick is to bitch slap your town like you are king kong.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
this one is aimed at omni. it all depends on what type of person you are & you have to be realistic. if you happen to be genuinely annoyingly tallented at somthing you will be able to have the world on your terms but you have to be sure of that & people need to have your money. also there are a million ways to get rich if you consider a career working for satan & you dont care where your money comes from but you seem like a nice kid. i would bite the bulit & do the whole education thing for a few years. as for what to study id pick a trade you know will make you rich like lawyer or accountant. that way if you really do work hard to make sure you dont fail & you get through university you WILL make serious cash. i gambled with my life because i happen to be one of those people who shines brightly enough in a specific area but i wouldnt condone or recommend trying it yourself. my advice is that what ever you do has to be of a sufficient standard to get you paid.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by drunknhorny

You are not special. You are not "too good" for a drive-thru. If you have some amazing talent, you need to start at the bottom and prove yourself to make your way to the top...

Just like everyone else.

Nobody is going to hire you until you prove that you are better. Just being the best doesn't mean squat if you hit 25 and have never had a job because you thought you were too good to take what you could. Employers will throw your resume in the trash when they see your work history. They'll never even meet you to learn how cool and special and super-uber talented you think you are, because they'll hate your work ethic. They'll think you're lazy, and they won't give you the time of day.

I'm sorry, but the world isn't the sunshine and roses you thought it was. Welcome to adulthood, and sorry that it hurts.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Dead end kids? I would say we are in a dead end collectively. It's not just the kids.

As a civilisation, we are going nowhere because we are in autopilot mode. We are billions, but we are controlled by a handful of individuals and yet, we feel powerless. Well, they are laughing at us, because we live in a prison, but there's a hole in the wall. We can escape if we want, but the fear of the outside, of the unknown, is strong. I know that very well.

A couple days ago, I stumbled on this web site:The New Z-land Project wich is about a movement towards a money-free society based in New Zealand.

I think this could work if enough people are interested. If the project is successful, that would mean it can be replicated around the world. This is big, folks!

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DalJigsaw

Originally posted by traphouse
Well, I'm a long time reader on ATS and this is my first post. This one in particular got to me and caught my attention. I'm 22 and I know what it's like to be broke and unemployed and feel like a piece of worthless # in the process in this cold world.

The only advice I can give if you want to work on your own time and make good money is by playing poker.

I have built up enough skill and experience to see a nice steady profit.. (averaging about $2800 a month.) I taught myself until i got better and better. (I didn't read any books or anything) Since I was laid off a year ago, I figured I would give poker my undivided attention and so far it hasn't let me down. If anyone is interested in getting in on the poker scene and needs lessons, just shoot me an email. I'm on the computer almost everyday

Hey, how are you doing? I was wondering if you could help me with poker? You mentioned under the "The Dead End Kids" thread that you could help? Please, email me: [email protected]

Stay strong.

[edit on 28-9-2009 by DalJigsaw]

Hey DalJigsaw. I sent you an email. Anyone else that wants lessons and wants to be their own boss let me know.

[edit on 29-9-2009 by traphouse]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
i must say i amused. a lot of people on here still seem to be thinking of a job in very tradional terms & this is why thier job enslaves them! i hate to break it to you folks but i get paid. i never once had to flip a burger or kiss anybodys ass. people in my town have my money because they already KNOW who i am. the bouncers in the clubs call me sir! my clothes cost a bomb & i never have to buy anything. my "resume" is not needed & as for any potential employer i decide wether i want to work for him NOT the other way around. i pretty much decide how much im getting paid & im sure you are right, they dont like my work ethic but i dont really care. this isnt the way i wish things were... its the way they are. i dont think you understand!! i never even showed up to school & got thrown out of college i have no traditional education whatsoever. i have no respect for my employer what so ever!!! why do i get hired? purely & simply because i rock. not because im a nice person, not because i work hard & not because they like me. i have built up a reputation & when i show up im definately there on bizaniss. yes im very lucky & i know if i didnt have the gift i do i would have had to get a job flipping burgers & sucking up to the boss for promotion but that only makes this all the more sweet.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Hey guys, here are some available jobs for anyone with Food Production qualifications, many are manager and supervisor positions so skill will be required.

Reference: OpIIGL = General Labor Level 2 about 10.00 per hour.
Supervisor=keeps track of flows and processes works many shifts.
Manager watches Supervisors And Answers to the Plant Manager.

Pay scale
M11=80-120 thousand dollars a year.
M5= 48K -68K yearly
M4= 38K-58K yearly

Any questions? I will be hear.

I looks lik I cut off the wage scale.
Belmont is in Wisconsin
Southpark is in or Near Buffalo New York
The paper that's boadered blue is Nampa ID

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/746c63372085.jpg[/atsimg]
Ambien RulzE!!!!

[edit on (9/30/09) by gnosis111]