It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T Predicts the future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I thought this was sorta neat. It's a collection of AT&T commercials from 1993. They basically called a lot of this stuff before it was around. Not a big surprise, but still cool.

[edit on 27-9-2009 by Mr Headshot]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

nice! i love videos like these, as they make me remember very similar videos that were shown in uk, when the initial testing for things like on demand tv via broadband, and mobile services were all being speculated over and tested..

its crazy how long it takes thes ideas to become reality though!

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I remember seeing these in the early nineties - I didn't think a whole lot of what was being said at the time, but it's unbelievable how spot-on these ads were. Even the thin LCD screens, laptops, onscreen user interfaces were very close to being accurate. Usually the imagined version of technology ends up looking a little crappy when it's eventually brought to reality.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

Makes, you wonder if, yellow book, commercials, are telling us ,what it will be like also.Same with the NAVY,MARINE, ect.ect.commercials.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I'm sure they had the technology already developed several years prior to these commercials. As with any new technlogy, the problem was making it affordable and getting it to the masses.

I would have been more impressed if they had predicted you could do all those things using just one device, such as a cellphone, PDA or better yet, through a chip implant.

sayanythingblog.com...

The last scene of the women going to the public pay phone ruined it. When was the last time you used a public pay phone? Pretty soon you will not even need a device and you will be able to communicate via a hologram created by your mind. Now that's pretty cool.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
You know why I remember these commercials? People freaked about carying their medical history in their pocket. It was a lot like the way people say they'll never get chipped. Yet now many hospitals and clinics issue cards that you have to show when "checking in."

The same people that swore they would never carry that type of medical card, or an ATM, now have more plastic in their pockets than leather. It just serves as a reminder that incrimental change is almost impossible to resist.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Yeah, a lot of this stuff was already developed.

My dad was one of the founders of gateway computers a long time ago lol if anyone remembers the cow spotted cpu boxes?

I had a tablet PC back in like 1997 or less, Mini Disc player in the early 90's and TIVO (wasn't called TIVO, and didnt work with our cable) box I would say in the early 90's as well.. same with internet phone.. it was actually a phone that plugged into your computer lol..

So most of this stuff was already in the designing process, although its still pretty cool - btw the mini disc player never caught on lol - I thought it was pretty damn cool

[edit on 27-9-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Oh man, I remember these commercials. I remember being amazed and thinking that most of that will never happen, now it's all old hat and the gizmos they show are quite large.

It freaks me out sometimes, when I realize that I'm living in the future I imagined as a kid.

With technology advancing faster than ever now, I think the next 20 years are going to be pretty neat.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SphinxMontreal
I'm sure they had the technology already developed several years prior to these commercials. As with any new technlogy, the problem was making it affordable and getting it to the masses.

Making it affordable? Like the iphone? lol No the problem was and always has been setting up a system to milk profit from the tech at a large scale.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SphinxMontreal

I would have been more impressed if they had predicted you could do all those things using just one device, such as a cellphone, PDA or better yet, through a chip implant.

sayanythingblog.com...

The last scene of the women going to the public pay phone ruined it. When was the last time you used a public pay phone? Pretty soon you will not even need a device and you will be able to communicate via a hologram created by your mind. Now that's pretty cool.

I like your thinking as I also believe that rather than "predicting the future" they already had the technology in place. These people are marketing geniuses. The "newest" technology we have today is not new at all, it's just been withheld from us for several years because we were still too distracted with older tech stuff.

top topics

join