It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foods to stock up on???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
One huge things that probably is holding so many people on stocking up on things is not knowing what to stock up on, what wont expire, how to have water not go back etc etc... Anyone can run to a stock and buy carts of food for emergency purpose, but that food will probably not last longer than couple months and water will go bad in a while too.

Im one of those people who just dont know, and im sure there are plenty of us.

how do we know what things dont expire or stay good for 1-2 years?
is cereal good stuff?
how about rice?
beef jerky bags?
how to store water? or is it best to buy purifying water tables and fill up at lake and throw in tablets?
how about canned food, is most of it good for a long time
canned fruits?
some matches, and liters

or is it best to just order some dry army supplies for 2-3 people 6 months worth of supplies and be done with it?

i got the ammo part out of the way, 1,200 rounds of .223 and AR15 so hunting shouldnt be a problem. Maybe pick up couple knifes and a bow and an axe for chopping wood.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
if i were you i would make sure you know how to maintain that AR15. learn to clean it in your sleep.

and i havent thought much about this topic, but i would think you should also stock up on seeds. you may need to grow your own stuff.

i would learn what plants that grow natural in nature (along with insects) are edible to supplement food supplies and stretch them out.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Stocking up on foods is nice for a year or so but eventually you will run out. Get a ton of heirloom seeds so you can replant every year. make sure to leave the plants out long enough to germinate the new seeds.

Have some egg laying chickens and some meat chickens. Chickens lay an egg a day. And they live for 15 years. Make sure you feed the chickens properly. Egg layers need lots of calcium. And they love table scraps.

If you live in a normal neighborhood that doesn't allow chickens like me you just have to hide them. Mine are fenced in under the back of my house with lattice and nobody can see them. If you don’t have a rooster nobody will know they are there.
Storing food is only to get you through the winter. You should be able to provide yourself with a fresh store every year.

Have a big garden, some nut trees, and chickens.
Learn to can everything from vegetables to meat to get you through harsh winters.
Storing food is only half of it. You need to learn to make it yourself to really survive.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I keep hearing "sweet potatoes"
They are supposed to have enough vitamins and food volume, plus be self sufficient..."always growing"
This kinda makes since to me and would also work,"if true" you can leave them in the ground, and no one would know it was food, if done randomly!
I don't think the average person could pick the plant out!

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
On a limited budget you need to think about quantity more then quality. Find a feed store and buy 50 lb sacks of corn, the price is about $7 for a 50 lb sack .. that's 14 cents a pound, nothing can compare to that.
The corn can be sprouted, which changes the starches to sugars, then ground up to make Cornmeal. That's a good cheap staple food from which a number of items can be made from...Bread, Cakes..etc... I purchased 500 lbs for storage, that's 500 lbs of food for less then $80.

[edit on 9/27/2009 by KAKUSA]

[edit on 9/27/2009 by KAKUSA]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by KAKUSA

I follow the logic. Survival is about just that. Staples will get you far. Knowledge will get you farther.

reply to post by Doc Holiday

I have been hearing a lot of things about sweet potatoes lately too.
You can peel the skin, cook it more to the point of just beginning to burn, grind it up, and have a weird and nasty substitute for coffee. Granted no caffeine, but the roasted taste is there.
Regular potatoes work too.

Personally, I have a bunch of flour/sugar/rice/pasta/oil/vinegar/corn meal/salt/honey/dry milk/beans/seeds/barley/spices/alcohol sealed in airtight canisters. Enough to last 2 months or so.

I would go the bulk route, but I have no place to keep it secure right now.

[edit on 9/27/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
those sidekick meals. they are like 1$ and fill ya up...
i got about 400 of them in a tote-tub. honest lol.. buy 10-20 every week when i get groceries.

i just need a small burner and propane tanks and if world goes to hell, well..i can survive one year

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I keep bags of ramen noodles, about 120 of them. They can be good for trading, and with some purified water from a source, can make a great soup with wild vegetables.

top topics

join