It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian god statue at Calgary zoo offends Christian group

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
i live in calgary, and props to the zoo for having the ganesh statue, how is cultural diversity ever bad?

not sure if it was mentioned above, but yes, in calgary durign xmas the christians have their day too, everyone wins

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

So THAT's where he copied his pose from!

Heh heh heh

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Good on them for sticking to their principles.

This is nothing but another right-wing Religious group making demands on society because they feel they can get away with controlling others. Screw them!

I wouldn't have even bothered replying to their complaints. It would have been filed under "crap from religious nut-jobs" and forgotten.

Small things like this are needed throughout society, otherwise people would become more segregated, more ignorant and more xenophobic.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
On a more serious note - it is so-called Christians like this who give Christians a bad name.

It is very fitting for the elephants to have Ganesh there, and I am sure Jesus would agree and tell these uptight idiots to relax.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Well, as a Christian I respect other people's right to worship whatever they please. That has nothing to do with me.

If some nutter has decided that his pet rock is really god, then good for him (or her).
Move along, nothing to see here.

Just don't expect me to crawl on my hands and knees and kiss his pet rock's feet, in reverent worship of his rock god..

What this nutter does with his precious god rock, does not offend me in the least.

The Hindu religion is based on idol worship, whereas the much more valid main stream religions (there are quite a few !) are based on spirituality.

The one true God answers prayers, rocks and idols do not.

What religion you actually are, probably depends on what part of the world your parents came from.
There are many religions that know the ONE TRUE GOD by different names.
They are all valid.
The dogma and laws of these valid religions can be quite different, but all follow the common thread of respect for God, love of mankind, duty, honesty and humility..

Worshipping rocks, idols, or following the occult (masonry and wicca) are the exact opposite to worshipping THE ONE TRUE GOD.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
This will always be the problem with religion. Religion seems to cause separation more then anything else. There is always debates, fights, WARS! over religion, its the opposite of what it is suppose to represent, so whats the point?
Think a world with out religion would solve half of the worlds problems... but who would have all that money and gold sitting in the vaults of the Vatican hehe

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by wycky

Yes, religion is evil and should die.

Also how can the Pope and all those so-called religious believers sit on all the riches of the Vatican and let the world starve - are they stupid? They certainly won't get into heaven that way.

Which brings me to another point which has nothing to do with the topic but I am going to repeat it anyway - if all the rich people in the world fed all the poor, there would be no more starving people - and how could you live with yourself if you had all that money and did not help?

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
i liked this thread, it's a perfect example of the fact that when a lot of people cry about the evilness of religion and how it needs to die a quick and painful death, they really mean christianity needs to die a quick and painful death.

[edit on 29/9/09 by pieman]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Oh no, I am tired of people missing my point.

I hate organised religion because it is done by stupid and corrupt people.

On the other hand, I love Jesus Christ.

Please make the distinction.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Religion is one thing.

Spirituality is something very different.

Religion leads to hatred, violence, and wars.

Spirituality leads to self understanding, love of humanity, and a pathway to God.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow
The Hindu religion is based on idol worship, whereas the much more valid main stream religions (there are quite a few !) are based on spirituality.

Erm...
Jesus on the Cross.

Worshipping rocks, idols, or following the occult (masonry and wicca) are the exact opposite to worshipping THE ONE TRUE GOD.

You can't even get through a post without demanding that everyone else is wrong and your religious views are right?

Typical.

And, I'm Pagan (as is Wicca), I worship nothing and no one. I don't follow any negative occult teachings (coming from a Christian that could mean any number of "non Christian" practices).

Just thought I'd respond to your post because I find it quite funny. You appreciate their right to ignore the religious nut-jobs, state your right to believe what you want, then openly state that your religion is right and others a re wrong.

Just a little hypocritical, don't you think?

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

And, I'm Pagan (as is Wicca), I worship nothing and no one.

I wish you luck in your "craft".

Just as I wish freemasons luck in their "craft"..

[edit on 29/9/2009 by Silver Shadow]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual
[more

I appreciate that you have your own beliefs, so please do not belittle mine.

Everyone has their own belief, and I happen to believe fervently in Jesus Christ. And as for the Cross - who are you to poke fun at it?

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
For a city like Calgary to put that by the elephants, that is more of a fun joke than a religious icon to be worshiped.

Are more people looking at it and laughing at it, or are they worshiping it and praying to it?

We need to be tolerant of others and their belief structures, not complaining about this group or that group.

From my perspective Hindu gods are no different than Baal, Molech, Dagon and Ra.

So really as a christian this doesn't bother me at all.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

Yes, it is great, S & F, and I am tired of arguments about religion - if we stopped these stupid arguments about religion, maybe our world could survive.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   

The one true God answers prayers, rocks and idols do not.

I'm going to suggest this nicely: please, get off your high horse.

There is no need to be condescending to those who follow a different faith, as you are by comparing rock worshiping "nutters" to believers of Hinduism.

You may want to consider that many out there like myself consider praying to be the exact same thing as "hoping it were so." Yet, I do not feel a need to be authoritative about my stance. We all have our opinions, and we can all relay them to each other without being patronizing or snarky.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join