It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian god statue at Calgary zoo offends Christian group

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye
reply to post by ModernAcademia

It's a belly dancing elephant for crying out loud! Don't like it? Don't bow down and worship the stupid thing and then look the other direction. Sheesh.

This is the main problem with Christians.

No respect for others religious beliefs.

How would you feel if I called a statue of Jesus a silly little stupid man on a cross?

[edit on 27-9-2009 by lucentenigma]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Demandred

as a catholic id be more disturbed by a statue of john travolta than Ganesh, some of my christian brothers and sisters need to pull their heads in and wake up to themselves makes me feel like going over there and slapping the lot of them.

Needless to say it is very fortunate indeed that Catholicism no longer holds it's wicked grip on society, and is now prevented from going around "slapping those that don't agree with it".
"
Hey, I know, why not get all the people who don't worship our imaginary god the way we do and put their feet in a fire until they do."

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by orderedchaos

These kinds of people make a mockery of religions.

I beg to offer that religions mock people and the religious are mocked for their childish behavior.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Christians are so snip misguided

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 27/9/2009 by Sauron]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu
Is the zoo allowed to display Christmas trees or a manger scene during Christmastime? If not, the elephant should be removed.

I visit the Calgary zoo a few times a year. So I'll answer a few of the questions asked.

1) Yes this is near the elephant enclosure. But it's off to the side.

2) It was a gift to the zoo, buy the same donor who funded part of the new elephant enclosure.

3) I personally find it in bad taste, as it's a kind of bad interpretation of Ganesh. Though since none of the Hindu groups have complained and it's there religion I don't care that it's there. There are lots of other animal statues around the zoo. This is the only one not of the actual animal.

4) Every Christmas season they have "Zoo Lights" where they decorate the whole zoo in Christmas lights and Trees and they open the Zoo at night to walk around and see the lights. Bring a jacket it's been well below zero the last three times I've gone to Zoo Lights.

5) Most of the Christian's I know who goto the Zoo have no issue with the statue, this group (who none of us have heard of before) is the only ones complaining.

6) The zoo has a dinosaur enclosure area with full sized fiberglass dinosaurs.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by badgerprints

Any "public places"? Or just government places? In the US, the laws apply to government facilities. Churches are privately owned, synagogues are privately owned. Are they prevented from displaying their religious iconography to the public?

The zoo does not seem to be government owned. Does Canada have "separation" laws anyway?
[edit on 9/26/2009 by Phage]

The church separation laws say that the gov't can not force religion on people.. or something like that. It's really long and takes lawyers to understand it.

The zoo is a corporation, in the way the postal service is a corporation. It's a non profit corporation owned by the City of Calgary. The Postal service in Canada is a crown corporation.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
So a publicly funded zoo = no religious signs.

Ok.

SO STOP TRYING TO PUT YOUR 10 COMMANDMENTS INTO THE GOVERNMENT. STOP TRYING TO MAKE MY KIDS PRAY AT SCHOOL.

If people want to get their panties in a wad about a stupid Zoo... maybe you can start to understand my frustration when YOU want to put this nonsense into our government!

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Who gives a snip what is placed somewhere? Only people who have nothing else to do with make something outt of a mole. Tell the idiots to go and help some poor with their free time or do some social service.

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 27/9/2009 by Sauron]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
You know whats funny about that. Is Christians were taught in the bible about tolerance. They are the first to complain when someone get offended about what they do. It is very hypocritical of them but hey what do i know.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
What it looks like and what it is are two different things. It is a hindu god. God said that we are not to bow or pay homage to any graven images, which means lessor gods. I think that in all fairness all religous statues and symbols have no place in public places. unless at the entrance of every exhibit there is a symbol that honors other religions so it is equal. If the Christians are put off they should organize and not attend the zoo. I think zoos are sick anyways. The poor animals pacing back and forth in psychotic fasion with hardly any room to live anything close to normal lives. I find zoos offensive alltogether.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barkster
God said that we are not to bow or pay homage to any graven images, which means lessor gods.

I think zoos are sick anyways. The poor animals pacing back and forth in psychotic fasion with hardly any room to live anything close to normal lives. I find zoos offensive alltogether.

Which god? Yours or mine? Is mine lessor or yours?

I do agree with you about zoos being offensive. Animals should be allowed to run free, not caged for humans to gawk at them.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
i think a lot of people could use a dose of 'art therapy'.
so funny that people get in a wick about this.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Oh this is funny a Christian organization has a problem with a statue and everyone rallies around the people displaying the statue. Change the tables and everyone would be aligned against the Christian statue.

Get over it Christians bite back. I personally don’t have a problem with the statue, but obviously some Christians do so they are causing a stink. Much like the stink that is caused by non-believers when a Christian ornament is displayed. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucentenigma

Originally posted by Barkster
God said that we are not to bow or pay homage to any graven images, which means lessor gods.

I think zoos are sick anyways. The poor animals pacing back and forth in psychotic fasion with hardly any room to live anything close to normal lives. I find zoos offensive alltogether.

Which god? Yours or mine? Is mine lessor or yours?

I do agree with you about zoos being offensive. Animals should be allowed to run free, not caged for humans to gawk at them.

MY GOD. The God of Abraham Issac and Jacob. The only true loving Creator of all things! YHWH Thats what God. Oh so that isnt your god and you don't like it because I believe that worshipping any other gods are just worshipping the creation and not the Creator? Well thats too bad. It is my opinion and I don't care what you think of it. Now I suppose you would like to start a fruitless, lengthy debate with me about my opinion but I won't even go there because its a waste of my time. Yahweh is the supreme God of all the gods of the council of Elohim. Its in deuteronomy. Thats in the Torah. Again if you don't believe in the torah or Yahweh I don't care I am stating my opinion and what is written in the Bible. A very Holy Book to me and to most Christians.

[edit on 27-9-2009 by Barkster]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
lol wow some people need to stop getting offending by everything lol. it crazy this complaint is comming from the same people that put up cross's with a dead blonde hair blue eyed man on it everywere,
really are they that threatened or insecure in their beliefes that if some one else in free america puts up a picture, a art piece, are a movie that is diffeent from their own wich is thrown in everyones face everywere. they cry about it.

im not bashing christians its not only them. its some muslim's and catholics as well. u just hear more about christians complaining about crap like this in america. its just disgusting people need to get a life and not be so damn senitive. that a big elephant hurts their feelings

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wimbly
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

Exactly, it's a dancing elephant! Nothing more

Yes, but is anyone here denying that a Cristian symbol would be torn down immediately? Here in the states, Christian symbols are constantly being torn down.

Living in a multi-cultural country you would think these people would be more tolerant and accepting of others, to bad they can't practise what they preach.

Oh please. The selective memory of some here is disgusting. All of you would have been in here celebrating if we were talking about a manger display or cross. Those of you on the left only seem to like tolerance as long as its for things you accept and agree with. Otherwise you deem it not worthy of tolerance.

[edit on 27-9-2009 by Wimbly]

"Selective memory" ? Please explain that one. I thought when I was baptised a RC that I was forgiven for sins before me, guess that ritual never worked eh.

"Those of you on the left only seem to like tolerance as long as its for things you accept and agree with. Otherwise you deem it not worthy of tolerance. "

Ok pot, meet kettle. Let me show you what I mean with your statement.

"These Christians" only seem to like tolerance as long as its for things "they" accept and agree with. Otherwise "they" deem it not worthy of tolerance.

The quotes are the parts I changed, do you see what I mean about practise what you preach ? This group is not following their own words.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Since it is a publicly funded zoo i suppose they would not be allowed to market religious beliefs.

Since its an elephant statue in a Zoo it would seem appropriate and i can't see

what connotations it would have to a hindu god?? Why dont they ban "In God

we trust" from the dollar bill? Since America has such a strong stance in

"freedom of religion". I simply can not think that any other religious group

found the statue offensive, it is just in this way that christain groups try and

control their environment. If they ban this statue they should ban all

Christmas decorations during christmas, as these are offensive to other

religions. They should also break down the statue of liberty because it was made in the image of the the roman godess "Libertas"

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Lord Shiva veritably presides over the worlds largest experiment as scientists sent the first beam of protons zooming at nearly the speed of light around the worlds most powerful particle accelerator at the CERN laboratory near Geneva in search of the 'God particle'.

The Natraja is the clearest image of the activity of God which any art or religion can boast of" ... "Thousands of years ago, Indian artists created visual images of dancing Shivas in a beautiful series of bronzes.

In our time, physicists have used the most advanced technology to portray the patterns of the cosmic dance. The metaphor of the cosmic dance thus unifies ancient mythology, religious art and modern physics.

CERN also Installed Lord Shiva Statue : www.redicecreations.com...

Introduction About Lord Shiva : Shiva means Infinite,the creator,preserver and distroyer of evils.Shiva is formless.The power or Shakti of Shiva is callled Parvati.Ganesha and Kartik were the first two illumined positive soul to merge with Shiva after attaining nirvana.They are also called the son of God just like Christ.

Although people can meditate and take the postive energy.Few go for piligrimage round Mount Kailasha which has a high density of positive energy.People have never climbed it but they make 7 rounds of the mountain.
The scientific reason for not climbing Mount Kailasha is that our body is not tuned with the high positive energy.

[edit on 28-9-2009 by major_news]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by major_news

Please correct me if I'm wrong here. This statue represents a "positive soul/energy" ? No matter what religion it's from, something positive can never be a bad thing.

I'm sure we can all agree that the world needs a whole lot more positive energy about now.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
yes i agree but where could this all be coming from?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join