It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian god statue at Calgary zoo offends Christian group

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Indian god statue at Calgary zoo offends Christian group

www.canada.com

A dancing elephant statue at the Calgary Zoo has kicked up controversy after a Christian group condemned the figure as an inappropriate religious icon.

Zoo officials say they have no plans to replace the Ganesh statue - which has stood near the elephant enclosure for at least two years - despite calls for its removal from Concerned Christians Canada.

The group sent a letter to the zoo earlier this week, calling the statue an image of a Hindu god that has no place in the publicly funded zoo
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Although Newton acknowledged the statue's religious ties, he said Ganesh also holds a wider interpretation as a cultural symbol, much like the eagle in the United States.

Seriously, I don't see the issue here
Do they need a noah's ark statue near the dinosaur area?

Concerned christians, what exactly are they concerned about here?

It's a public zoo yes, but the statue was subsized by an anonymous donor.

So what's the big deal here?
The thing that people don't understand is that India is much more cultural than it is religious.

www.canada.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
sickening, ..

mainly as thats one funky statue!

ganesh ftw

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Is the zoo allowed to display Christmas trees or a manger scene during Christmastime? If not, the elephant should be removed.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I am hindu so I can make this joke
but doesn't that statue remind anyone else of John Travolta from Saturday night fever?

[edit on 26-9-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I was not aware Canada also had problems with extreme christians. I thought that was reserved for the U.S. only

Someone should send a letter to those concerned extremists and ask them if they would also complain if a monument of Jesus was placed instead. If they don't object to that then they simply show their hypocritical nature.

If I was the owner of the Zoo, I would place a statue of Vishnu just to mess with their heads

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
It's not just a Hindu symbol... it's also an amusing elephant statue placed beside a pen full of elephants

If Jesus could be represented as a dancing hippopotamus wearing a top hat, I wouldn't object to that being erected next to the hippo pen either.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Is the zoo funded by taxpayers?

Or is it a private company?

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reminds me of dumbo the elephant, probably because religion is for... dumbo's

don't worry im religious so i can make that joke

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I live in Calgary and I'm Christian....
I found it "odd" to be honest. The way in which it was portrayed...

But to be honest, it's more for a giggle than to favour any sort of god....
Plus it made my daughter laugh, and I took her picture with it
. Maybe i can find it..

Anyways.....
The zoo is not playing favourites with any religious group by portraying a hindu God... They are a small minority here. If Calgary was going to play favourites, it'd be with an Asian God.. since they have overun the city

haha

[edit on 26-9-2009 by CanadianDream420]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
This amuses me... greatly.
It is so funny to me that if say... a cross was put up in the zoo (not that anyone would these days) everyone would be clamoring to get it taken down but when a Canadian Christian group shows a little concern it's not a big deal?
Ha! Perhaps these Christians are so tired of getting their rights stomped on they decided to try and make things fair? A school not too far away from me was attacked a couple of years ago by the ACLU for having "Away in a Manger" in their Christmas program!
Make it fair or shut up about it.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Is the zoo funded by taxpayers?

Or is it a private company?

It wouldn't matter, Canada doesn't guarantee separation of church and state. It's practiced as a general rule of thumb so people don't get angry but there's a clause in the charter of rights and freedoms that allows for the lines to be blurred.

If the federal government wants to erect a 90 meter tall Ganesh statue in the middle of Ottawa, it legally can

What's funny is this works in the favour of Christians 99.99999% of the time, especially around Christmas. The one time it doesn't, the panties are so bunched they'll never see the light of day again
I love it.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
As a Christian, I don't see that as any kind of god, or insult to my beliefs.

Just a funny looking elephant having some fun.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow

Exactly, it's a dancing elephant! Nothing more

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

The US Constitution doesn't say anything about separation of church and state, either.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow

THAT's the kind of christians I can't make fun of, those who don't get offended by other religions or their gods/symbols.

Religions need more people like you in them

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
as a catholic id be more disturbed by a statue of john travolta than Ganesh, some of my christian brothers and sisters need to pull their heads in and wake up to themselves makes me feel like going over there and slapping the lot of them... i suspect they are predominantly Baptists they are weird under the best of circumstances.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
They have Crosses in every single damn street of EVERY city in the damn world .. and they complain about a freaking dancing elephant..???

Seriously Christians???

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Next_Heap_With
They have Crosses in every single damn street of EVERY city in the damn world .. and they complain about a freaking dancing elephant..???

Seriously Christians???

That's exactly what I thought! We are bombarded everywhere with Christian symbols/icons, and yeah, they do make me uncomfortable, but I don't say anything because I tolerate other religions. We should be more tolerant of others.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I don't see a problem with it at all, it looks nice and probably serves to remind people that in some parts of the world, as a living religion, the elephant is revered as a holy symbol. I think the entire religious debate and furor is just gotten out of hand, as too many times one group objects to something that has been present for a long time. I think that everyone needs to take a step back and enjoy life instead of worrying about such.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join