It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is **G0D**, Part 1

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

What is **G0D**, Part 1

I know this question has been asked many times on ATS. Searching on this quote nets about 5 pages of links. I think though, to answer this question accurately and truthfully there would have to be ... lets see.. at the time of this posting ... no less than 6,946,625,900, posts on ATS on this subject. In other words, one can only answer this question though one's own inner experience. Jesus said "the truth is within you", and "Know Thyself" is what was written on the Temple of Apollo at Delphi. - Knowing thyself is to know God. It's a personal and individual experience and anything else are just sign posts on way.

These are some of my muses on this subject. Thoughts and concepts that I've gathered while reading the sign posts over the years in my journey through life. Today I thought I'd share them with you.

God is Energy

Present day scientists pretty much agree that if God exists then It would consist of pure Energy. And many modern day psychologists would add that, yes this definition of God as the capacity of a physical system doing work is true but it would also have to be defined in terms of psychological energy. It is this combination of physical energy, the "energy" which can be transformed but still remains part of the "total energy", and this energy of the more subtle, the inner psychic energy "that powers the mind". It is these two forces that make up what and who we are. This is God expressing Itself both inwards and outwards.

God is Life

This is the basic understand of the philosopher, that God, Life and Energy are synonymous terms. This is the life-energy of the Taoist. It is the basic pulsation and vibration of all everything we know. If God exists then the Universe must be the manifested expression of His or Her or Its "Being". Where there is energy there is life. Even in the tiniest mote of matter we see energy expressing itself. When the life energy is active in an atom the atom is organic, when it is dormant in the atom it is inorganic. It is the "anima mundi", the great Breath of Life that sweeps nature into motion. According to Theosophy, the anima mundi is the Soul of the World the same as the Alaya of the Northern Buddhists. The divine Essence which pervades, permeates, animates, and informs all things matterial. From the smallest atom of matter to man and up to God Itself. Humanity itself is as a Whole is expressing itself both physically and psychically. Physically, a human is made up of its three types of matter: physical, emotional and mental; these three expressions are also reflected in the lower kingdoms of nature in the form of mineral, plant and animal-man, where spiritual-man is the fourth Kingdom in nature. The latter occurs when the animal-man becomes "consciously aware", an event that's been "mythified" in the Book of Genesis. This is our bane, to struggle through life consciously aware of the polar opposites of life. It is the knowledge of good and evil that has plagued mankind since what we would call the beginning. And it is the "wisdom" of good and evil that will evenutually free us to fuller understanding of our place in the Universe.

God is the Manifested Universe

The pantheists of the world not only agree that God is Energy but that God is Life but that everything is result of a manifested, God Immanent. Many scientists are pantheist, almost by definition. It holds that there is no divinity other than the physical atoms of the Universe and the dance that mother natures does with those atoms. Pantheists find it hard to believe in something that cannot be measured. Which is a interesting actually, considering that more and more scientists are coming the conclusion that physical matter is an illusion, like energy frozen in a temporary state and measurement is never absolute.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

What is **G0D**, Part 1 continued..

God is all of the Universe, and more

This is, as opposed to Pantheism, is Panentheism. This is same as all of the above but, as wiki puts it, "in pantheism, "God is the whole"; in panentheism, "The whole is in God.". In other words, God is not only immanent in form but God is also transcended to the whole of Creation. Shri Krishna, speaking as the great God Vishnu, says in the Bhagavad Gita: "Having pervaded this whole universe with a fragment of Myself, I remain." God is greater than the created whole, the God Transcendent. And so it is with our physical and spiritual nature. Our bodies are the reflection of the spiritual aspect our selves, an image cast downward into 3-D form from a meta-physical dimension that's beyond our perception. "The Soul breaths and the form lives nearby."

God is "Him Whom we live and move and have our being"

This is one of my favourite descriptions of God and is pretty much a continuation of Panentheism. We are part and parcel of God in the same way as an individual cell in your body is part and parcel of what you are. It's easy to agree that we, as ourselves, are greater than the sum of our parts, so wouldn't it make sense that God is also greater than all the individual parts in His body? We see ourselves physically as having seven major endocrine centres or chakra points in our body, so wouldn't it make sense that God would also have major points or centres in His body? Could Humanity in toto be but the "Mind of God" working itself out on our physical plane? And could our Sun be but a Great Heart Chakra in an even Greater Cosmic Being stretching Itself out across space?

God is Love

It's taken mankind millions of years of evolution to come to this conclusion. How could God not be about Love, if "everything" is but a part of Him? It would be like cutting off your hand because you thought it did something bad. We live within the Body of God and are part and parcel of the same. Love is the path of least resistance to an inevitable end. Love is about raising your awareness to a whole new level. The Christ Consciousness is the awareness of Humanity as a Whole. It's like a single cell within your body suddenly because aware of what you are and what you are doing at this very moment. This is what the Christ is in relation to Humanity. He is a Buddha of Wisdom representing all of us, both the starving and the opulent. That our world created such an Individual is both amazing and a promise of hope. Hope that all of us, each and every one of us, will do as Jesus said greater things". Like drops from an ocean of life, we are as individuals in nature. When we reach a maturity that we can calm our emotional natures down to such a point we will become more and more reflective of the Universe around us. And like the buddhist polishing the mirror we can begin to reflect the heavens above us. By perfecting and purifying our physical, emotional and mental natures we can, like that that drop of water, eventually mirror the Universe to such an extent that it becomes difficult to tell the difference between the two. This is the mystery to why Christ was known as the son of man and the Son of God. He ultimately become One with His Father through the at-one-ment He played out in His life. In other words, each of us can only find God by first identifying ourselves as One with God. The truth lies within.

God Is

Nothing more, nothing less, God simply Is. There is no good, no bad, no Satan and no devil, God simply Is. When I ponder such philosophical concepts like this I sometimes think of John Lennon singing: God is a concept by which we measure our pain. How could we as intelligent, loving and self aware individuals see God as anything else? Our inherent dualism of mind and matter, light and darkness, good and bad, pleasure and pain, colours our outlook of everything we are and we experience. Yet, knowing this it should also become apparent that this is not likely the case in the "higher realms" of awareness. This is why, I believe, that John sing the end of this song "I Just believe in me, Yoko and me, and that's reality". This was his way of expressing his Oneness of God.

Anyways, these are my ramblings, things I ponder about when time permits. I would be interested in hearing your comments. Maybe add a What is **G0D**, Part 2 or maybe even a What is **G0D**, Part 6,946,625,900th.

Cheers,

Neo.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Content edit...

[edit on 9/26/2009 by happygolucky]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Why did you feel the need to bring Christianity into this discussion ?

Organized religion is not the topic, I thought God was.

[edit on 26-9-2009 by gYvMessanger]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by gYvMessanger

Good point...

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by gYvMessanger

he clearly didnt read about what "God" is

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
What about 'What god isn't'?

I hate to think of myself as an atheist but I think any definition of god is made up by those who need to define a god as 'something'.

Even if you define god as everything in the universe, both physical and spiritual does not mean it is god.

From Merriam Webster

Main Entry:
1god Pronunciation: \ˈgäd also ˈgȯd\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German got god Date: before 12th century

1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind

2 : a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality

3 : a person or thing of supreme value 4 : a powerful ruler

So for me, from the above it would be "the ultimate reality"

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

thats most of what Neo___ defined in this thread.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by platipus

My problem with the above is that it is all categorized. For me you can't categorize a concept of the ultimate thought/understanding of god.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

I agree and furthermore I think that the name "God" has come to represent a lot of bad hang ups over the many years its been used.

Perhaps new terminology could be developed to help people move out of this concept of a bearded man, sitting upon a throne in the clouds, ruling over their lives. It certainly doesn't help things.

I think there are actually quite a few people who do believe in a god of sorts, but do not accept the manipulation fed them by the big religions (and various smaller ones).

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Moving away from the GOD complex, I would personally refer to GOD as an "AI", an artificial intelligence that is the product of a very powerful processor (computer). Basically it's just a simulation and we are nothing more than the AI's programming. It basically created this reality to better understand and explore itself and the meaning of existence. But at the end of the day we are all simply just illusions and that includes the AI itself. There also might possibly be more than one AI with conflicting belief systems. Which just about sums up this reality.

God, AI, and the rapture of the geeks.

arstechnica.com...

[edit on 27-9-2009 by kindred]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
God is "Him Whom we live and move and have our being"

This one is closest to the truth. Some of the others are not true at all, such as god being the universe.

"What is spirit is spirit, and what is flesh is flesh". This is saying there is that which is physical, and there is that which is not. That which is not physical is spirit, and that is "god".

Basically, god is pure consciousness for lack of a better word. It is the father within us that allows us to understand, to observe and to "be". Our "souls" are individual consciousness within a greater consciousness(god).

So 2 realms here. I call it the ride and the rider. The physical is the "ride", and the rider is god. "We" are simply a single experience within the ride.

People try to understand and know god, but they do not even know themselves. How can one understand that which is greater, if they can't really grasp what is the lesser?

Can you define yourself without naming possessions? That "your", "my" and so forth? "your body"? "your consciousness"? See, those are things which simple define possessions. But what is it that possesses them?

Reality is a result of that which is unlimited limiting itself. The result of that limitation is what we see today. The father is that which is unlimited, the son is that which views the limited. Thus while the father and son are one in the same, the father is much greater than any son.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kindred

Actually, god would be the opposite of AI. I am a programmer, and creating AI used to be a dream/goal of mine. I gave it up when I realized what AI is a called Artificial for a reason.

It's not real intelligence, and it never can be. Not under consciousness is to somehow enter into the program. Without consciousness, it has no free will. Without free will, there is no choice. As there is no choice and no free will, there is no intelligence, it's just the following of patterns. Just action and reaction.

How do you get the ability to chose from action and reaction? It is impossible.

Thus why the spirit is not of this universe/creation. Because this creation/reality is based on action and reaction. But spirit has the ability to reason, understand and choose.

You can easily come up with patterns that simulate intelligence, and one day people will be unable to tell the difference.

Consciousness creates logic. Logic is unable to create consciousness. Go ahead and try to come up with logic to a "feeling", or to be an "observer". You can really only come up with logic that will trigger those things, but not the actual thing itself.

That said - you can think of creation as being a program and like a program.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I would go with Universe...to me the ultimate creator is simply he universe...

also to the responders of the OP...he didn't just bring Christianity into..he posted several viewpoints

-Kyo

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by KyoZero

also to the responders of the OP...he didn't just bring Christianity into..he posted several viewpoints

-Kyo

You're right, I didn't bring Christianity per se into this subject. Christianity is a manmade religion and subject to its doctrines and manmade rules. The Christ, however, is a force in nature. A position or station that grants an awareness liken unto God. As Humanity is a great centre within the Body of God, so is the Christ, the representation of Humanity, standing at the right hand of God. He is aware of the Human Race in It's sum total, the Oversoul of Humanity if you like. See Bodhisattva.

Viewing the Christ like this has little to do with religions and manmade dogmas. This is the destiny of every human being, all of us. And eventually, and in time, each and every one of us will raise our individual awareness and expand our individual horizons to such a degree that we will be able to encompass much, much more of the world. Such a vista could only instill compassion and love towards all the inhabitants, regardless of creed or world standing. But this can only happen if we see the Human Race as One and function in our affairs as such. This does bear responsibility. Are we ready?

Group-Consciousness, or Soul-Consciousness (the same thing), is the next step after self-awareness. It's how an expanding Universe works. Love binds and unites together, selfishness separates.

(Please note that everthing I ever say is always imho)

[edit on 29-9-2009 by Neo__]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by KyoZero

-Kyo

How can the creator be the creation itself? Looking for the creator in the creation is like looking for Bill Gates(or the programmers more specifically) inside the Windows OS. That is not them, that is just what they created.

Can you define "you" without naming possessions?

What are the special molecules that cause consciousness? How does creation become and create observers?

The universe is that which I would say is not god at all. Within it? Yes, very much. But it? Not at all.

This is the big issue I have with new agers. Yes, I can see that everything is connected in the universe and creation. I can even see it past the point of time, to the point where all is static and without movement. But seeing it in that manner is also what lets me know that it is not god.

God is the observer, not that which is observed. In the end, there is only 1 true observer of all things.

You can liken it to the "mind of god" and that I can even somewhat agree with. But god itself it is not.

I know why you think and see it that way. But you have to see the difference between information, and that which is observing/understanding the information. What makes things "real", what makes "reality? Something experiencing and observing it.

The connections you see in the physical, that is true. But what is experiencing and seeing those connections?

1 of these things is not like the others.

If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is there to hear it, then does it make a sound? No. Because there is no ear/consciousness there to observe and experience the sound. At best, you could say it puts off that which would be sound if experienced(waves), but until experienced it is not a sound. No ear to "convert" those waves into sound.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Neo__

That does happen and is true. That is what happens to someone when they get the "holy spirit". I put "holy spirit" in quotes, because the awareness itself is void of such labels. But in order to communicate, we need some kind of label on it.

But yes, what basically happens is one finds the truth and gains awareness of themselves, and that which is greater. This brings about an understanding that is Christ like. The commandments and such become clear, and in ways religion never really shows it.

It can't be told, only experienced. How that is expressed will vary, but the understanding behind the expression will remain the same/universal.

I find that the bible in many ways expresses these things, especially Jesus. But I find the religion of Christianity in itself to be lacking, and in many ways keeps people from these things.

Because it is not something that is limited to only certain people. Understanding is available to all those who seek it. But that is also what they have to seek - the truth, the way and the light. A religion/person can express it, but the expression itself is not the same as what is being expressed.

But that is what I experienced. I gained my understanding and such from it.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

Originally posted by badmedia
How can the creator be the creation itself?...

What are the special molecules that cause consciousness? How does creation become and create observers?

The universe is that which I would say is not god at all. Within it? Yes, very much. But it? Not at all.

This is the big issue I have with new agers. Yes, I can see that everything is connected in the universe and creation. I can even see it past the point of time, to the point where all is static and without movement. But seeing it in that manner is also what lets me know that it is not god. ...

Yes, this last sentence makes a lot of sense to me. As soon as you say "God is this" or "God is that" then you separating God apart as the observed since the statement implies an observer. God cannot be this or that while at the same time be defined as the " All Encompassing". It's counter intuitive. The Buddha himself understood this and Buddhism as therefore been accused of being an atheistic religion because of it.

[edit on 29-9-2009 by Neo__]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia

You are totally free to think I am a whackjob...seriously...but I believe this is the case. The creator existed. One day the creator made in himself/herself/itself...whatever....made the creations in itself and bam! life

I think it's not the best analogy you made. Bill Gates and Windows 7 are tangible. We can touch them. Spirituality doesn't have to be so tangible. In fact I consider it the toughest questions in the world.

just my opinion of course

-Kyo

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Ahhh a "god" thread showing understanding and reason at last, nice one OP. No preaching and converting in order to make one feel better about their belief system, just sharing your discovery and questions.

Whats is god?
The very fact that we ask this question is its nature.

Chaos and Order are Equations and Results perpetuated throughout inifinity

god for me is / isnt benovalant.

We are all a result of something, that something can be one of two things.

Deliberate orchestration to simply observe-which makes it a bored benevolent being, but as it is already all knowing, this defeats purpose of benevolance.

or

Observe and create in order to understand self and perpetuate self infinatly.

It doesnt know what it is, we are part of it as much as anything else in the universes is, we exist in infinty for now, perpetuauting chaos/order.

Little gods if you like.
So we just need to be ok with being results, live today with a smile at your past, and a wink at your future. You are required as a (f) of the universe, so enjoy!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join