It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origin of Species - A new look

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LASTofTheV8s

Well, they ARE lying, Kirk Cameron IS banking on his "teen idol" status, and.. .really, I just love hearing her say "sssssssssssnakes" with that accent.

Perhaps if the creationists weren't, y'know, lying, misrepresenting others, counterfeiting and editing evidence to suit their own needs, and then bundling it all up and trying to package it as the truth in the manner they were doing, they wouldn't get this sort of attitude. Fact of the matter is, they've worked hard at earning what they get.

"Disgust" and "rage" are different emotions.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Well, they ARE lying, Kirk Cameron IS banking on his "teen idol" status, and.. .really, I just love hearing her say "sssssssssssnakes" with that accent.

Perhaps if the creationists weren't, y'know, lying, misrepresenting others, counterfeiting and editing evidence to suit their own needs, and then bundling it all up and trying to package it as the truth in the manner they were doing, they wouldn't get this sort of attitude. Fact of the matter is, they've worked hard at earning what they get.

"Disgust" and "rage" are different emotions.

Now I REALLY have to argue with you!

You said Kirk Cameron has "teen idol" status!

Entire argument destroyed in one fell swoop...

I'm sorry. To me, that is the same thing as saying we are being led astray by Milhouse from the Simpsons.

OK, I'll admit that I liked when she said "ssssssssnakes" too.

Anybody else?

A show of hands?...

[edit on 23-12-2009 by LASTofTheV8s]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

So, Kirk Cameron is about as credible as a prime-time cartoon character? What are you arguing with me on?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I haven't read it.. but I think it's possible what they are trying to say here is that Darwin had enough skeletons in his closet to color his thinking about his research and he may have actually formulated his views on evolution to fit his personal belief system. You know.. to seek out that which backs him up. If that is the case, then that is a big scientific No No.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

So, Kirk Cameron is about as credible as a prime-time cartoon character? What are you arguing with me on?

I didn't say he was not credible.
I am saying he is not an "idol" of any kind. "teen" or other.
I just see some guy that believes in something, getting sick of having that thing he loves, being attacked, while he tries to make a point, give people a choice, and try to help his religion get seen in a different light.

But, he is no mind-bending manipulator.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I haven't read it.. but I think it's possible what they are trying to say here is that Darwin had enough skeletons in his closet to color his thinking about his research and he may have actually formulated his views on evolution to fit his personal belief system. You know.. to seek out that which backs him up. If that is the case, then that is a big scientific No No.
And, the only way to do something like that, without the Church being accused of being a "hate group", or attacking anything, is to make no statements, and let people make a choice.

Which, to me, seems very "sane".

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Who's that gorgeous highly intelligent point making goddess completely discrediting these douchebags?

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I haven't been able to see the vid. I do not think it matters.
Just by reading the responses I gather it is the---
Overwhelming brilliant, highly educated, perfectly formed, non conceited elite. Verses the ignorant, stupid, douchbags that attempt to provide some semblance of decency and order.
In other words Darwinian/Evolutionism vs Creationism .

When the bible was written it was done with the best science of the time.
It is not the only book or work of the kind.
Most every human group or culture has developed similar thinking. China is the exception.
No one can deny this. The numbers speak for themselves.
Darwin and Evolution are extremely new concepts developed only through an extension of the science of the time.
Like sailing ships, longitude latitude and clocks. And believe it or not things like wine (vitamin C),
anatomy, measuring and visual aid tools. Darwin had a lot of help.
Sure religion has been abused as has the atheistic aspect of evolution.
They are both used to sway the masses to directions of the manipulator's wishes.
Communism cannot tolerate organized religion.
Communism requires a mind that dances to a mans voice or decree,
not the voice of the people or their beliefs.
Merry Christmas everyone!!!

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LASTofTheV8s
Sorry folks, but no foreign Wicca-wannabe, Wayne's World escapee should be flatulating her 3rd world MTV-isms about the USA to anybody.

And you're complaining about HER speech being filled with hate? And nastiness?

Or maybe the "nastiness" and insults can only go on way, from you to the poor 3rd world girl who is not allowed to have an opinion on evolution and religion?

The debate of creationism vs. evolution transcends borders anyway. This isn't about the USA, maybe just in your world, that ends at the border of your country.

Sincerely,

another foreign Wicca-wannabee (I guess), Wayne's World escapee and 3rd world citizen. Yes, your post directly offended me.

P.S. I found my new catch phrase. Sssssssnake!

[edit on 25-12-2009 by Wallachian]

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donny 4 million

Communism cannot tolerate organized religion.
Communism requires a mind that dances to a mans voice or decree,
not the voice of the people or their beliefs.
Merry Christmas everyone!!!

I am no fan of organised religion at all.

It hs been twisted and manipulated to control the masses and allows for little if any free will and thought.

Yet I assure you, I am no communist.

I suspect that over he years there have been pleny of people who have considered themselves both Christian, or a follower of another organised religion, AND a Communist.
Indeed some would say that the Jesus of the New Testament was a very left-wing individual.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by fox_3000au

The introduction would appear to consist of various attempts to discredit Darwin and his theory. I haven't seen it but from Cameron's statements it links evolution to our loss of liberties, Hilter, and racism.

I'm curious too about why they would distribute the book. I suppose it may be because people will read the introduction and form their opinions from that. They will then be able to say, "Yeah, I read the book. It's full of nazism, racism, and taking away our liberties".

Not only is the intro irrelevant to anything within the book. But Ray Comfort also pulled out a few choice areas of the book that countered the intro. Not only that: but he plagiarized the thing.

So: Fallacious counter arguments presented because they could not challenge even the first generation of the theory (let alone todays version), but the man couldn't even must the integrity to write the slander himself.

Comedy gold.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by lordtyp0

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by fox_3000au

The introduction would appear to consist of various attempts to discredit Darwin and his theory. I haven't seen it but from Cameron's statements it links evolution to our loss of liberties, Hilter, and racism.

I'm curious too about why they would distribute the book. I suppose it may be because people will read the introduction and form their opinions from that. They will then be able to say, "Yeah, I read the book. It's full of nazism, racism, and taking away our liberties".

Not only is the intro irrelevant to anything within the book. But Ray Comfort also pulled out a few choice areas of the book that countered the intro. Not only that: but he plagiarized the thing.

So: Fallacious counter arguments presented because they could not challenge even the first generation of the theory (let alone todays version), but the man couldn't even must the integrity to write the slander himself.

Comedy gold.

From reading your response I am honestly at a loss. From reading the quote I am at a loss. Forgive me for not being ever present in these discussions. BUT could you please explain??
The above is mixed and garbled.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Does this mean you are capable of grasping spirituality?
Something beyond the present?
Something for yourself.
Communism says you live for the community. Then you die.
Enter the abyss of blackness without senses.

[edit on 25-12-2009 by Donny 4 million]

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for that one, Phage.
I came away from that video with two things in mind.
1) That chick is really hot.
2) Cameron is a complete idiot.

On second thought, do you think he realizes exactly what he's doing and is just another con-man?

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
If anyone wants to see these fundies do a 180 on the whole "equal time" argument and possibly even threaten you with bodily harm . . .

Print up a few copies of the bible with a special forward . . . Explain to your readers that this volume is nothing more than a collection of stories. Index all of the logical fallacies, contridictions, and other imaginary silliness . . . end with an opinion about the validity of any claims based within due to the illogical nature of said book and the fairytale nature of the stories. Give out these copies to prominent evangelicals in your area. Make a youtube video promoting this new version. Sit back and collect the death threats . . .

Great fun for the whole family . . . especially the hypocrisy.

Got to love evangelicals/protestants . . . they can sure dish it in god's name, but play the persecuted victim as soon as the shoe is on the other foot.

EDIT - spelling/grammar

[edit on 12/25/09 by solomons path]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by solomons path
If anyone wants to see these fundies do a 180 on the whole "equal time" argument and possibly even threaten you with bodily harm . . .

Print up a few copies of the bible with a special forward . . . Explain to your readers that this volume is nothing more than a collection of stories. Index all of the logical fallacies, contridictions, and other imaginary silliness . . . end with an opinion about the validity of any claims based within due to the illogical nature of said book and the fairytale nature of the stories. Give out these copies to prominent evangelicals in your area. Make a youtube video promoting this new version. Sit back and collect the death threats . . .

Great fun for the whole family . . . especially the hypocrisy.

Got to love evangelicals/protestants . . . they can sure dish it in god's name, but play the persecuted victim as soon as the shoe is on the other foot.

EDIT - spelling/grammar

[edit on 12/25/09 by solomons path]

You are attacking the beliefs of people. Not communicating with them. Not trying to explain why you feel the way you do, with respect and ease.
You are taking something that is loved, whole heartedly, and attacking it, ridiculing it, forcing your opinions on people.
And, you aren't doing it out of any positive goal. You are doing it out of a hate for religion, and direct malice toward any notion of "God".

I'm not even sure I believe in God, but I am pretty sure that if I was present somewhere, and saw somebody like you do something like you described, I might just put my foot up your a** on principle.

At least these people that are trying to convert others to their perspective religions are doing it out of a desire to "save souls", or some similar result.

I have NEVER seen anybody try to bring anybody away from religion with compassion, understanding and RESPECT.
EVER.

People like you ALWAYS do what you do, the way the woman in the video did what she did.
With aggression and malice.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wallachian

Originally posted by LASTofTheV8s
Sorry folks, but no foreign Wicca-wannabe, Wayne's World escapee should be flatulating her 3rd world MTV-isms about the USA to anybody.
And you're complaining about HER speech being filled with hate? And nastiness?
My words were mostly joking AND a REACTION to her attack. A REACTION.

Or maybe the "nastiness" and insults can only go on way, from you to the poor 3rd world girl who is not allowed to have an opinion on evolution and religion?
I never said she could not have those opinions. I said that much of what she said was incorrect, especially her views of how our country has been handling religion in public. And, there is a HUGE difference between an opinion and an attack. I would imagine that 75% of her "hate" is actually felt subconsciously toward the US anyway. It is obvious that she had a twisted view of what goes on here. Which is normal for much of the world.
It's "chic" to hate Christianity and the USA right now.
And I take offense to THAT.

The debate of creationism vs. evolution transcends borders anyway. This isn't about the USA, maybe just in your world, that ends at the border of your country.
It's hard to tell where our REAL borders are, since we are pretty much spread out all over the world, helping those poor 3rd world countries. Oh, I forgot. We don't really help ANYBODY. We are the "Evil Old USA".

Sincerely,

another foreign Wicca-wannabee (I guess), Wayne's World escapee and 3rd world citizen. Yes, your post directly offended me.
I would have never guessed what you were. What a surprise.
You are offended? I know how you feel. I really do. I am offended a LOT by people like you. You are no better than the Christians that forced their views on non-Christians. As I said above. People like you just do it with less of a positive goal in-mind.

P.S. I found my new catch phrase. Sssssssnake!
That's really Great! I hope that works out for you.
Now, go make the world a better place!

[edit on 26-12-2009 by LASTofTheV8s]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Donny 4 million

Not sure how it got munged, this thread is about the preface that Comfort and Cameron did to the Origin of Species. The preface is supposed to be a counter argument to Darwins work. Only: Not only does it not discredit anything with the science-but it was plagiarized.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   

I won't get dragged in your crusade against imaginary USA detractors. As I said, this isn't about the USA, this is about Creationism vs. Evolution, and more specifically about a "special" edition of "On the Origins of Species".

Unless you can provide a quote or tell me where exactly in the video this girl attacks the USA or Americans, I won't be a part of this.

Oh, I forgot, you just "suspect" that she hates the USA. You have no quotes.

I am offended a LOT by people like you.

People like me? Who exactly are "people like me"?

And what have I personally done to offend you? As far as I can tell I was nothing but polite towards you. Are you offended by anyone who disagrees with you or does my mere existence offend you?

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by lordtyp0
reply to post by Donny 4 million

Not sure how it got munged, this thread is about the preface that Comfort and Cameron did to the Origin of Species. The preface is supposed to be a counter argument to Darwins work. Only: Not only does it not discredit anything with the science-but it was plagiarized.

Ah ha. I need to see the vid to comment on Cameron and company.
They seem irrelevant as the Origin stands on it's own.
To point out it's miss use by others is proper IMO.
Using someone else's material without permission is bad news.
thanks

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join