It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transparent Aluminium - See through soda cans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Aluminium is now see through. See through cans of pop may be the coming rage. It has been used in the Star Trek movies and has military implications.

dornob.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

A more correct name would be:
Aluminium Oxynitride
See Wikipedia

Compare the melting points!
Aluminium
Aluminium Oxynitride

[edit on 26-9-2009 by Eurisko2012]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
geez, are you promoting your site or what, how many post per day ???

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I must correct you sir. The idea for Transparent Aluminium was INVENTED by Star Trek! As where many things that we now use everyday!

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

Great find RussianScientists. S+F. I would buy this packaging in a heartbeat. How cool would it be to have a transparent can of soda? Man, that is wild. I also love the other applications noted in the article. I hope to see it in a supermarket near me soon.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by angelx666

Hi Angelx666,

I decided to post a lot of interesting things that no one posts instead of letting everyone see nothing but doom and gloom on ATS. I'd rather see beautiful new scientific or interesting things than all the doom and gloom.

Look how many interesting things are on the Internet to be seen that come and go and get no attention, but dooms day prophets are a dime a dozen on ATS. I'll break the norm for a while and post interesting things. Why don't you help me out and post more interesting things so that I can slack off some, hehehehe.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists
reply to post by angelx666

Hi Angelx666,

I decided to post a lot of interesting things that no one posts instead of letting everyone see nothing but doom and gloom on ATS. I'd rather see beautiful new scientific or interesting things than all the doom and gloom.

Look how many interesting things are on the Internet to be seen that come and go and get no attention, but dooms day prophets are a dime a dozen on ATS. I'll break the norm for a while and post interesting things. Why don't you help me out and post more interesting things so that I can slack off some, hehehehe.

To OP: S and F. Great find, thanks for posting such an interesting scientific development. Please keep up the good work and I look forward to more.

[edit on 27-9-2009 by FunSized]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Thanks RussianScientists, great article, S+F! I agree this is way better than the doom and gloom stories!

Originally posted by bismarcksea
I must correct you sir. The idea for Transparent Aluminium was INVENTED by Star Trek! As where many things that we now use everyday!

I'm always amazed at how often science fiction tends to become science fact. Now, where are those warp drives?

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

The warp drives are at Papoose Lake, NV.
When the patent runs out, everything will be made out of
transparent aluminum.
I could make a UFO out of Aluminum Oxynitride.

Wait! Is that where we reverse engineered it from?!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
They're late to the party, Scotty did it already.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by Eteric Rice]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists
Aluminium is now see through. See through cans of pop may be the coming rage. It has been used in the Star Trek movies and has military implications.

dornob.com...

I've actually had the lychee soda shown in the picture on the bottom right (don't know how to imbed), but it feels more like plastic than aluminum. In fact I suspect it acually is plastic - it didn't crimp like aluminum does. Not that I'm negating the product or idea of a see through aluminum; I just think the picture of a clear plastic container for what clear aluminum may look like is a bit misleading.

I mean, geez, I got those sodas at the Dollar store. Somehow I doubt they'd have "high tech" clear aluminum soda cans at the Dollar Store.

Just sayin'.

Edit for spelling

[edit on 30/9/09 by Morbo the Annihilator]

[edit on 30/9/09 by Morbo the Annihilator]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eteric Rice
They're late to the party, Scotty did it already.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by Eteric Rice]

Link fixed.

Eteric please note: Only show the part after "v=" instead of the whole link.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Does this mean i can build an aquarium out of Aluminum Oxynitride?
Apparently, the Chinese have brought the costs down.

They put it on their tanks.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

I doubt you can build an aquarium big enough to put whales in like Scotty did, but you might be able to build a smaller one if you can get the material

I thought the clip was going to be Scotty saying "There be whales here" which is the other memorable transparent aluminum line, but the computer clip was good too!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I love the idea for the Canoe

Have a look
dornob.com...

Mikey

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikey84

Can i build a new and improved Space Shuttle out of
Aluminum Oxynitride?
Look at the melting point?
Heat shield tiles optional???

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

Ah, the wales!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

No you can't. It's melting point is high enough that it won't melt, but it's not nearly a good enough insulator. The metal under it would melt in seconds. The tiles on the space shuttle are made of a specialized highly insulating ceramic, which is pretty much ceramic foam. It has such low thermal conductivity that you can fairly comfortably hold it while it is GLOWING RED HOT.

That isn't to say that there AREN'T probably better materials to use for the tiles on the space shuttle. It is, after all, mostly 1960s technology, and materials science has come a ways since then. It's just that it isn't a simple matter of finding something that won't melt. if it was, they'd just put a mm of tungsten around the thing and call it a day.

Anyway, the linked website is kind of misinformative. It calls the anti-static packaging for computer parts transparent aluminum, when really, it's just plastic that's been treated with a film of regular aluminum that's so thin it's translucent, then links to a wikipedia page on an unrelated phenomena where thin aluminum hit with a megawatt or so level X-ray burst has all the electrons in the target area of a certain energy level excited, making the target area transparent to the exact same wavelength of X-ray.

The lychee soda can pictured is regular HDPE plastic with an aluminum metal top.

Additionally, all the genuine mentions of what we might parsimoniously describe as transparent aluminum all really refer to transparent aluminum based ceramics that are only as much a type of aluminum as rubies and sapphires.

It's a translucent ceramic that's very hard and has at the very least some uses as an armored replacement for glass, but it's not metal. You can't weld it, it has no ductility or malleability, it can't be bent, etc.

EDIT: In lots of threads like these, I get the feeling that most repliers never read the full text of the article. I respect that they do so because they don't have time to go through every link they come across in a day, but I would really expect anyone who cares enough to post a reply would care enough to read about what they're replying to. Otherwise, it's all a bunch of reactionary sensationalism. I'll admit ATS is no stranger to that, though.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by mdiinican]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Cool, see through airplanes boats and submarines - Thanks Scotty!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
i like the idea of those see through drink cans
those look pretty cool. at least you would be able to see if there were any cigarette butts floating in your beer

top topics

<<   2 >>

join