It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Media doesn't give a s__t about other countries ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
US Media doesn't give a s__t about other countries ...

So, this weekend there is this massive typhoon and flooding going on in the Philippines, and the only US media coverage I've seen is a 15-second mention on CNN. As it has been quoted, basically they got a month's worth of [typhoon-season] rain in about 6 hours.

From what I've been able to find on the 'Net, it looks like Katrina-X2 to Katrina-X10 out there right now.

I only know about it from having work-related connections out there, and the impact it's having on them and the employer involved.

Not that I'm trying to minimize the impact to residents in Georgia, but .. for comparison, CNN just spent like 15-minutes on covering "flooding" going-on in Georgia over the last days, including video about the flooding of a golf-course.

I flipped through Fox and MSNBC also, and didn't catch any mention of the Philippine disaster either. I assume that they did actually mention it, but probably for no longer than CNN - and I just didn't happen to catch it.

I did find notes about the Philippine situation on CNN's web site, but even that is basically two paragraphs and a couple of iReport photos.

Of the "News" type channels who's web-site covers the Philippine even the best is probably the BBC. The US sites are just pathetic at this point.

This just goes to show why people are moving to the Internet for their news. I have also noticed that most of the so-called "News" channels have really just degraded into talk-radio with video. What happened to the 24-hour-a-day CNN "news" coverage? Now everything has to be "show"?

Looks like unless it happens in the US or you through the tag "terrorism" or "nuclear" (or "new-que-ler" as some moron's like to mispronounce it) on it, the US media has no interest in covering it.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
that assumes the media in the other civilised nations give a rats ass about the US

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silk
that assumes the media in the other civilised nations give a rats ass about the US

You may be right on that. But, in a lot of cases, the news in those other countries is the BBC - which certainly cover's US news pretty well.

I suppose a big part of my rant is really that so-called "News" channels don't even really provide news any more. They've just become talk shows. I've got at least one "news" radio station out here in Los Angeles, and it covers the news better than CNN. Of course, all the other radio stations out here are just more "talk" - which seems to be the direction that TV sadly is going. I guess it must be profitable.

[edit on 2009-9-26 by EnhancedInterrogator]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I'm sure if the rainstorm is worth covering, the media outlets will send correspondents. Chances are the big 3 don't have a presence in the Philippines.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
You know when I read this thread title I saw it said US Media but in my mind I interpreted it as US Mafia. Isn't that weird how the mind works.

Main Stream Media = Bankster Mafia Propaganda Arm

At least in my mind.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayouttheredude
in my mind I interpreted it as US Mafia.

Hmm... that might explain a lot.

[edit on 2009-9-26 by EnhancedInterrogator]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Here, you want world news? Get an FTA satellite receiver. PressTV and Aljazeera are showing some footage of the floods in the Philippines right now.

(edited this part because I see people below starring others who have assumed that I'm endorsing PressTv etc. I am not, and I do realize they are just Iran's government propaganda machine)
(Don't be an idiot and assume I'm approving most of their anti US/Israel drivel) I just haven't seen anything on any other news outlets about it, and found it going through channels.

The US MSM doesn't care much about anything anymore, other than pushing the political agenda of their corporate interests, and who their favorite reality TV star is sleeping with.

Hell, they don't even mention so much as a peep of what's going on here in the US if it doesn't further their ideology in the minds of their half-asleep viewers.

Then again, they'd probably show more if they had someone in the area, but it's not like they have someone standing around over there waiting for it to rain.

1000's of channels from around the world, and lots of local "live" news feeds, for free.
FTA Satellite

I've been linking this in lots of threads, but hey, I'm kind of on an anti MSM kick lately and just letting others know its out there.

Peace

oops typo

[edit on 26-9-2009 by lernmore]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
They don't give a rat's behind about us here, either. Just lies, fear, manipulation, obfuscation and whatever I forgot to mention. This is why I gave up on them a long time ago.

Or as wayouttheredude said, "Main Stream Media = Bankster Mafia Propaganda Arm". Pretty much sums it up.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
^^Press Tv and Aljazeera ? Talk about "Fair and Balanced" News sources!

While the US MSM is pathetic international coverage except where Americans die, the other news outlets like CNN International, BBC world, Deutsch Welle etc are pretty decent sources of news apart from AFP, Reuters, etc.

American domestic News channels like CNN, FOX, NBC etc are really great at covering an interstate pileup in Wisconsin but could care less about Tsunamis and Typhoons half way around the world - Unless a lot Americans died.

The reason for this is because of capitalism. I say this being an ardent supporter of Capitalism but the fact is that the News in America is dictated by ratings. Americans are more interested and likely to watch a high speed car chase in some sub-urban town than be interested in the catastrophe and misery of "foreigners". Thus, News is dictated by what is popular, rather that what is relevant.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Hi from Tassie, Australia.
There was a snippet of this on an Aus news website.
There is a cause out there for GW but I don't subscribe to it.
I think we need to wake up to the bigger picture.
Humans are destroying the world we live in.
The Tasmanian Tiger is on the way out.

I have friends that want to build a house on a bush block just out of town.
They have to do a threatened species study, and a couple of hendred sq metre fire break (fair).

Three weeks ago they got a deadline from the council to have their plans approved. If they don't have them approved by a certain date, the big electrical company here in Tasmania are going to run high tension lines right thru their house site. What right have they got.

so, so, so sick of 1 rule for them...and f*ck the rest of us.

Hopefull the meek will inherit the earth, but I reckon it will be truly broken by then.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101
^^Press Tv and Aljazeera ? Talk about "Fair and Balanced" News sources!

You'll have to read a few of my other posts if you want my opinion on PressTV and Aljazeera. I never once said anything about "fair and balanced". I only said they're showing footage of the floods.

Trust me, every news outlet is totally bias, but watching news from all over the world gets you more than one perspective. That, in turn, enables you to get a better idea of the whole picture sometimes, so you have more to work with when forming YOUR OWN opinion.

Don't put words in my mouth please. I can't stand most of their rhetoric either.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
CNN world website seems to have several stories on the Phillipines FloodingAt least 50 dead in Philippines from tropical storm flooding

Seems to be front page news at MSNBC

40 dead after flooding in northern Philippines

FOX seems to have coverage as well

At Least 40 Dead in Floods in the Philippines

CNN will cover alot of the flooding in Georgia because , well they are headquartered in Georgia.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I thought there was a big explosion in Pakistan as well? Like 16 dead and 150 wounded? Someone posted that story on here.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
US News focuses on US news/interests since it is in US soil.

There's nothing wrong with that.

new topics

top topics

join