It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TTSSC Funny Thing, This Deja Vu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
It's a funny thing, this Deja Vu. Of all the Vus it is probably the most interesting...

Take a Room with a Vu:

Melanie was sitting beside the window looking out at the sea. A cold Spring Breeze rippled the waves and blew sand across the beach. A lone dog was bounding along the edge of the water, happy in his little world of elementals and fun.

Melanie cast her mind back several months to a time when she was looking out of this very window, but not alone. Beside her, with a strong arm holding her close, stood a tall, handsome sailor newly returned from the sea. He smelt of brine and fresh air and had a sense of adventure about him. He also had a sense of impermanence. Any day now he would be called back to his ship and Melanie would be left watching the sea. Watching his ship sail away and, later, waiting impatiently for it to appear again over the horizon.

So she spent her days. Her nights she spent walking along the ocean's edge listening to the sound of the tides, imagining she heard him whispering to her in the waves.

But that was several months ago, now she watched that lone dog who had found something to play with and who looked for all the world as if he was going to fetch it to her so that she could play too.

Take a Point of Vu:

Roman was a sailor He had spent most of his life at sea and viewed it with mixed emotions. On board his ship he was at one with the elements. Every night he would stand on deck listening to the waves, imagining he could hear his sweetheart whispering to him, her voice carried by the water.

During the days he would sail with some regret on the outgoing voyage, but on the return he never loved the sea more as it carried him to the shore and his beloved. Sometimes he felt the sea knew of his ambivalent feelings towards it. So it was, on his latest voyage that the sea felt strange and unfriendly.

Roman guessed it was because he had set sail with a heavier heart than usual. He had held his love in his arms and promised this would be his last Goodbye. Now the sea seemed to sense that he was leaving and planned to spend the rest of his life on dry land.

These were the last thoughts Roman had just before the storm wrecked his ship. He cried out as the waters claimed him and hope his beloved would hear his words of farewell.

Back to Deja Vu:

Melanie watched the dog and wondered if he heard voices in the sea. If he did, he wasn't paying them too much attention. He had a prize to play with and seemed in two minds now whether he would share it with her or not.

Melanie rather hoped that he would. Since her love had failed to return from his voyage she had had no-one to hold her in his strong arms, no-one to touch. A warm, friendly dog might be just the thing to divert her from her musings and misery.

Tentatively she went towards him, wondering what he was playing with. And that's when the deja vu kicked in - as she saw the very arm that had held her so tightly wrap itself around the dog after he tossed it playfully up in to the air.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
that to weird.... giggle

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

What a morbid and witty twist berenike. I like it. I wasn't sure if Roman and the woman were connected in any way at first. Then I realized that it was the two that missed each other. I thought the dog was just a way to present the imagery. Then bam, it all came together in a very cool way. Thanks for posting this. It is very good. S+F.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

Thank you.

I didn't write the story for the competition but hoped that it would fit the bill.

A few months ago I was in the mood to do some writing but had no idea what to write about so I asked a friend to give me a word so I could use it as the 'theme' for a story.

He said 'deja vu'. I admit I was laughing like a drain by the time I got to the end.

readerone - You made me laugh.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Enticing with beautiful imagery throughout the story, you have an eloquent style of writing. May you do well in the contest.

So far this has been a really good contest, with great participation, and talent all round.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by catalyst2466

Thank you very much - those were lovely comments to come back to, especially as I was a bit hesitant about posting this story.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Eeeew!

A sad story indeed. Poor Melanie! The arm tossed into the air by the dog was a particularly macabre touch. Nice arm twisting, berenike.

new topics

top topics

join