It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No such thing as.............

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 03:14 PM
link   
A christian. You have catholics, Methodists, Lutherns(sp?), Presbetarians, but no such thing as a christian. I have never heard of the christian church. The catholic church? Yes. The Luthern? Yes, but no christian church. How can you expect people to believe in christianity when you can't even agree on it? Which christian branch is right?

Is catholic church the right christian branch? Is Methodist branch right christian branch? Come on, how can you say other religons are wrong when you can't agree on your own?

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Very true.

I have no idea how many denominations are there but for the sake of argument I'm going to say 60+

I remember like a year ago I had to take a test in school and they had a slot to fill in your religion.. There was like 60/70 religions.... Muslim, Jew, Buddhist.... and the rest were all of christian relation.. I was saying to myself why not put Christian.. it'd be a lot more easier.

I also remember these two Jesus kids in my psychology class... They were real jesus freaks... one was even one of those missionary crusaders.. he was a methodist i think and the other kid was of the church of christ... AND THEY WERE ARGUING!!!! one believed in original sin, the other didnt... and they were arguing and it was really arguing.. it was crazy..

all they do is argue

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I don't think there is a single religion on earth that agree's with the other... But it is sad, when ONE particular religion split's itself and fail's to get along when they all share the same common beliefs.

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 03:56 PM
link   
James...

-sigh-

I would have thought that even you would be aware the "Christian" defines a faith that believes in Christ as the son of God. A generalization of several denominations.

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 04:31 PM
link   
William, when asked what is your faith, do they say christianity? No, they say catholic or whatever. There is no such thing as a christian.

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 04:34 PM
link   
You're just asking for flames from Thomas, Netchicken, and Truth, aren't you?

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   
No, I am not. I expect one from truth though. But still, have you ever seen a christian? I've seen catholics, Presbetarians, Methodists, Lutherns, but no christians.

Christians believe in son of god. Of course, some barley agree on that. Don't agree about how he lived, what exactly he did for the years he went into the desert, not even the reason he died! Some say he was a sacrifice by god, some said something about how he said god why have you forsaken me? Saying that he wasn't a sacrifice.

How can they expect people to believe they are right when they can't agree on it themselves?

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 05:29 PM
link   

sigh ... a troll.....

If you can't work it out for yourself then nothign I say will be able to help you James

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 07:40 PM
link   
yeah i agree with your point
the catholic faith and many other religions came from christianity
they branched off because they saw a few things wrong with christianity and formed a new.
but what they all have in common is that they all believe that jesus the son of god came down to save us
but they disagree on many things like for example the eucharist. christians say that is the "symbol" of the body and blood of christ but catholics say that it is
the body and blood of christ. they all have little differences but to me they are all the same
you are worshiping the same thing in the end.

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Yeah well, I don't see the point of James's argument.

Christianity devided into several sects MAINLY based on the form of "governence" and less to do with beliefs. More on the precept of HOW to prayer, than on the precept of WHAT to pray about.

On the other hand, Islam devided such as well, and they kill themselves much more over it today then the christians do now...

Buddhists also seperated, there's Mahadarma or whatever, and some other darhma and zen buddhism and such...

Jews have orthodox jews and such, but they for the most part are one no?

So all I'm saying, is this "seperation" of denominations is only natural, any religion will devide, coalesce and redevided, it is impossible to stave off.

Though if the Jews did do it (I'm not sure if they did or didn't, I guess if you think the Jews broke up into jews and christians, then they also failed) but anyways, maybe THEY are the true religion?

In a more sensible notion though, any religion you will form, will break into different religions, not changing so much their beliefs, as the way they believe.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
Very true.

I have no idea how many denominations are there but for the sake of argument I'm going to say 60+

More like 1200 denominations in North America alone...

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 09:12 PM
link   
1200?? lol I'm way off

FreeMason

your right... Muslims and Jews DO have seperations but ask yourself why?

There's Shi'ite Muslims and Sunnah (sp?) Muslims.. reason why they had fought was not for their beliefs, indeed they both believe in Allah but they fought because of who would succeed Mohammad as the First Caliph

I forgot which wanted which... one of them wanted Ali to succeed, the other wanted someone else I forgot his name

and the orthodox Jews are the real Jews... they hold intact the law that was given down to Moses.

as for christians.. why do they fight? They ALL believe Jesus is the Son of God... so what's the problem?

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 09:14 PM
link   
That's here (the 1200)

www.religioustolerance.org...

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 09:16 PM
link   
It boils down to regions, we live in a world where people half way across the world are not too much different from us...Europe//America and such...but especially in the past, just 150 years ago, when regions meant everything, you'll find that then was the height of seperations...when the world started becomming smaller things stopped being so volatile.

So today, a major religion bursting at its seems will probably never happen, while in 1600s it was quite easy, because people lived different lives just 1000 miles away, and sometimes their religion's rituals just didn't fit.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 09:58 AM
link   
There are really only about three groups in christianity.

1. protestants

2. catholics

3. jehovah witnesses

heres how it breaks down, you dont have to believe me but just listen.

Protestants think catholics are worshipping idols and recieving a idol sacrafice. they
condemn catholic for these many doctrines we created and think we are a pagan christian.

basied on ignorance of what the churches of the apostles taught.

2. catholics were here far beyond first, the old churches of the apostles if you look in your history books
believed in the same type of beliefs as catholics.

the catholic church became really successful when peter and paul and the apostles went all throughout
the world to convert souls, all apostles went to different locations to convert.

Peter and paul were interested in converting rome, and they and their successors faught and faught for their conversion
until in 313 ad atlast the banners of christianity were flung out in victory; peace was granted by the edict of milan, later Constantine
the great made christianity the state religion (324ad)

he was lead to this by a sign he saw in the sky a cross with these letters..

In hoc singo vinces.. in this sign thou shall conquer... after he saw this he had a dream of what he saw to confirm what he had seen.

the church has lasted every since through everything because of christ promise..

"" Thou art peter and upon this rock i will build my church and the gates of hell
shall not prevail against it ""

many times in the NT does christ and peter,paul, talk about a literal (governed) body a literal place
of worship where we gather, an orginized hiearchy like the OT law.

We wouldnt even be having this conversation had it not been for the revolt..

"" Unless the (revolt) come first and the man of sin be revealed the end shall not come ""

heres the orders of the churches.

1. Catholic church 33 a.d. founder christ through the apostles.

2. East orthodox schism from catholic 1054 a.d.

3. Lutheran 1517 a.d. revolt

4. Baptists 1600 a.d. revolt

5. Methodists 1739 a.d. revolt

there are currently around 1000,s of denominations in christianity all
which branched off from the true church.

"" Unless the revolt come first and the man of sin be revealed the end will not come ""

The church which i cannot deny nor refuse to believe.

peace.

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Hey man, this is slighly off the subject, but did their happen to be a Darwinist slot? Athiest or none of the above?

If not, then they are missing quite a few people.

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The true church? Why is it the true church? Because it is the oldest church? Well, Witchcraft or Druidism is about 30,000 years older than christianity, so it must be the true religon since it is the oldest.

Just going by your standards of oldest being truest.(is that a word?
)

And so there are thousands of denominations. So why do they expect people to belive they are the true religon when they don't even agree with each other what the true religon is? Kinda like a idiot trying to convince a moron to become an idiot even thought the other 2,000 idiot's can't agree what it means to be a idiot or how to pronounce it.

posted on Feb, 21 2003 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Truth, the churches have different views of how christianity was formed.

www.religioustolerance.org...

posted on Feb, 21 2003 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Main Entry: 1Chris�tian
Pronunciation: 'kris-ch&n, 'krish-
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin christianus, adjective & n., from Greek christianos, from Christos
Date: 1526
1 a : one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ b (1) : DISCIPLE 2 (2) : a member of one of the Churches of Christ separating from the Disciples of Christ in 1906 (3) : a member of the Christian denomination having part in the union of the United Church of Christ concluded in 1961
2 : the hero in Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress

One sad thing is the dictionary forgot to mention one who professes belief that Jesus Christ is God in the flesh.

posted on Feb, 21 2003 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Then it would be the King James dictionary...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join