It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressional Research Service: Over 10 Civilians to 1 Military Death in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   

The Brookings Institution has used modified numbers from the United Nations Human Rights Report, the Iraq Body Count, General Petraeus’s congressional testimony given on September 10- 11, 2007,7 and other sources to develop its own composite estimate for Iraqi civilians, police, and security forces who have died by violence. By combining all of these sources by date, the Brookings Institution estimates that between May 2003 and July 16, 2009, 110,578 Iraqi civilians have died and between June 2003 and July 16, 2009, 9,136 Iraqi police and security forces have
died.

www.fas.org...

Be proud America! For all those innocent, fun loving, family-raising, sister-hugging, hope-filled people, just like you, that you have allowed to be murdered by your government under the false pretenses of freedom! Which started out under the false pretenses of Weapons of Mass Destruction. And which before that started out under the false pretenses of Iraqi ties to Al-Qaida! Which before that started out under false pretenses of Al-Qaida committing 9/11!

When before that, Al-Qaida was an entity created by, you guessed it, our own CIA! And who was hired by the CIA??? Bin Laden!

Just your friendly neighborhood TrueAmerican reminder.

Oh, and did I mention that for every 1 military person killed more than 10 civilians are killed in this bastard child of a war?

Oh yeah, I guess I did mention that. Sorry.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Yep, no one wants to talk about all those out of sight, out of mind civilians getting murdered for profit and greed. It figures.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
“I spent 33 years in the Marines. Most of my time being a high-class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer for capitalism.” -Gen. Smedley Butler

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

The Brookings Institution has used modified numbers from the United Nations Human Rights Report, the Iraq Body Count, General Petraeus’s congressional testimony given on September 10- 11, 2007,7 and other sources to develop its own composite estimate for Iraqi civilians, police, and security forces who have died by violence. By combining all of these sources by date, the Brookings Institution estimates that between May 2003 and July 16, 2009, 110,578 Iraqi civilians have died and between June 2003 and July 16, 2009, 9,136 Iraqi police and security forces have
died.

www.fas.org...

Be proud America! For all those innocent, fun loving, family-raising, sister-hugging, hope-filled people, just like you, that you have allowed to be murdered by your government under the false pretenses of freedom! Which started out under the false pretenses of Weapons of Mass Destruction. And which before that started out under the false pretenses of Iraqi ties to Al-Qaida! Which before that started out under false pretenses of Al-Qaida committing 9/11!

When before that, Al-Qaida was an entity created by, you guessed it, our own CIA! And who was hired by the CIA??? Bin Laden!

Just your friendly neighborhood TrueAmerican reminder.

Oh, and did I mention that for every 1 military person killed more than 10 civilians are killed in this bastard child of a war?

Oh yeah, I guess I did mention that. Sorry.

That's the worst part of any military conflict, whether it's "just" or "unjust", civilians end up taking the brunt of it.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
The US accidentally killed, what, a couple 1000, and the rest are from the Iraqis killing each other? How is it our fault they decided to blow each other up? We gave them freedom, what they do with it isn't our problem. They are still fighting a 1400 year old war.

How many people did S. Hussein murder, 500000? That's a lot more than 110578, isn't it?

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu
How many people did S. Hussein murder, 500000? That's a lot more than 110578, isn't it?

Regardless of how many he murdered, and I would dispute that figure, was it for the US to decide? OIC.

Hmm, well then maybe it's for the US to decide how many people China murders too? Of course, that might be bad for business.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Yeah most of the violence has been Iraqi on Iraqi for the past two or three years. What they also count are the deaths caused by insurgents as being victims of the US

I threw in a little story about how Iraq may have to return to a police state in order to maintain peace just like Good old Saddam did in order to stop the violence between the two groups who are now blowing each other up again.

After Years of Secrecy, a Glimpse Into the Numbers of Civilians Dead in Iraq

As sectarian violence drove the number of civilian deaths in Iraq to thousands per month in 2006 and 2007, many Iraqi ministries, morgues and hospitals were under government order not to release the embarrassing figures, and the prime minister’s office generally disputed the ones that did leak out.

American forces in Iraq were no more helpful, often refusing to release figures or claiming that they did not exist. Obtaining information on the deaths was an exhausting, grisly and often clandestine affair, and — Iraq being Iraq — no two sets of figures ever seemed to match exactly.

11 Iraqi soldiers killed in bomb disposal accident

MOSUL, Iraq, Sept 25 (Reuters) - Eleven Iraqi soldiers were killed on Friday in a roadside bomb disposal accident in northern Iraq, Iraqi security officials said.

Bombs kill 3 near Shiite shrine in central Baghdad

BAGHDAD — Two bombs exploded moments apart near the tomb of a revered Shiite religious figure in central Baghdad on Saturday, killing three people and wounding 22, police and hospital officials said.

The first bomb went off next to the tomb of the ninth-century sheik, Othman al-Omari, where a number of people were praying. A few minutes later, a car bomb exploded in a nearby parking lot as crowds were gathering. The shrine was damaged.

Iraq civilian deaths are highest since April

BAGHDAD, Sept 1 (Reuters) - The number of civilians recorded killed in violence in Iraq shot up to 393 in August, its highest level since April, after a spate of huge bombings caused carnage in Baghdad and northern Iraq.

Figures from the ministry of health showed a big increase on last month's 224 violent deaths in Iraq. The figure was also slightly higher than the 382 killed in August last year.

Iraq death toll in August highest in 13 months

BAGHDAD — Violent deaths in Iraq hit a 13-month high in August, official figures showed on Tuesday, raising fresh concerns about the country's stability after the government admitted that security is worsening.

Statistics compiled by the defence, interior and health ministries showed that 456 people -- 393 civilians, 48 police and 15 Iraqi soldiers -- were killed, the highest toll since July last year when 465 died in unrest.

There were also 1,592 civilians, 129 police and 20 soldiers wounded.

Iraqi death toll in August is the highest in more than a year

A total of 456 Iraqi civilians and security personnel were killed in attacks in August, the government figures show. It was the deadliest month since July 2008, when 465 Iraqis died violently, though the tally was far lower than at the height of the civil war in 2006 and 2007 when monthly tolls sometimes soared past 2,000.

Could a police state return?

He had a point. The Shia-led government has overseen a ballooning of the country’s security apparatus. Human-rights violations are becoming more common. In private many Iraqis, especially educated ones, are asking if their country may go back to being a police state.

[edit on 27-9-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Yeah most of the violence has been Iraqi on Iraqi for the past two or three years. What they also count are the deaths caused by insurgents as being victims of the US

Star for a good contribution, thanks Slayer.

Can we disagree now?

J/k. But I really have to question what situation was worse, Saddam murdering a few here or there, or a war perpetuated upon a people causing them to have to choose sides, and ultimately pitting themselves against themselves.

Were the deaths this many before the Iraq invasion? And even if they were, still, who's place is it to decide? As has been said in the past, for every reason to attack Iraq, there was a better one to attack any number of other countries!

new topics

top topics

join