It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why am I feeling dumber and dumber?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I'm a college student, and ever since the last years of high school, I began to feel a degeneration of my thinking capabilities.

I cannot retain short term memory like before.

I no longer have the propensity to sit down and study for hours and on.

My humor has grown more and more shallow, adhering to slapstick and kick-in-the-balls comedy.

I give up thinking very easily.

All that is going on in my mind is perversion of every kind.

However, I am still sharper than most of my friends.

Shouldn't I be at my optimum level of intellectual activity at this age?

Should I blame my problems on social pressure and the popular media?

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
You're probably very lethargic as well.

I think you'll get many replies from people feeling the same way as you. And all starting sometime over the past 2 or 3 years and only noticable over the past year or so. Kinda crept up on you didn't it? Mind gets foggy, movies seem too long to watch at times, an increasing involvement and like for commercials, etc.

Cell phone towers? Fluoride? Something in cell towers that activate something in fluoride? DTV? Have our subconsciousness gotten used to the analog system that they shut off and when they did perhaps activated something? What causes it?

The world may never know how many licks it takes to get to the center of our tootsie roll tootsie pop, but I bet you the government knows.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

This may be the onset of a much more serious condition. I would be cognizant of the fact that you can even recognize these shortcomings at this point. By tomorrow you may not even know who you are. It all depends on what stage you are actually in. Me, I'm already gone.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

For whatever reasons it seems you are having problems concentrating and staying focused. There are many causal factors, including depression, anxiety, stress, fatigue, loss of interest, attention deficit disorder and I could go on and on.

Consider a medical exam to rule out the possibility of any medical causation factors, which are unlikely at your age, but possible.

It's likely due to one of the other factors mentioned above.

Make an effort to concentrate, and stay focused. If it's something that bores you, you have to TRY.

If you do really make an effort, and are still unable to stay focused, talk to your doctor.

(I think you are probably okay, just have your mind on personal issues/social issues and stressors, rather than academics and problems).

Rule out: side effects of medications; physical illness/ drug useage.
I'm assuming it's none of the above.

Edit to Add: Very funny, Jackieflap.

[edit on 9/25/0909 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

What part of the world are you at OP? I've been feeling the same for over a year now. Some days, it's like I'm not even in my body, like I am watching things through a video camera or something. The world itself looks and feels odd, out of tune. I feel like the stupidest most useless wretch in the world, made worse by the fact that everyone is apparently upbeat and fine. It wears you after a while, depression follows soon.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

It sounds to me like you are suffering from something as simple as boredom.

Have you taken a vacation lately?

It seems to me that everything you said you are having problems with are routines.

Mabey you have just simply outgrown living your life based on routine.

Do something completely different for a week or so. Then you should be able to get back into a routine.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Maybe it's just self awareness. It grows by time.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Ha, ha, ha. Think that's something? I am eligible to join MENSA, but I can't even remember a three item shopping list.

But in my case it was enough cheap vodka to launch an aircraft carrier.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Yeah, it is called college. There are a million things to do other than studying. I felt that way as an undergrad. Just make sure you get that paper done before you split that 30 rack.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
You're in college.

Drinking and smoking something you're not supposed to?

Those are the exact side effects of both.

Let me know if it's not though.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Interesting. I consider myself very intelligent but it was somewhere around 2006-2007 that I began to notice a severe drop in my mental abilities and retention. I'm young mid 20's but I seemed to suffer severe memory problems and thinking abilities. It's strange indeed.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Don't believe what they say dude its not a desease its not a condition, I had the same problem.

when i was 8-13 I learned and I cared I studied and i was alert but now? I dont give a f* and I'm lazy too I don't want to think hard.

you know its normal what we have and It comes at a certain age.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Not to be rude but, do you smoke pot? And If so how much? and if a lot do you trust you're source? Are you positive that its being grown properly with safe amounts of nute's? If its not done properly chemical fertilizers can stay in the vegetation even after drying... the act of combustion releases them and causes bad stuff to happen, most growers don't have your health in mind... they are just trying to get as much as possible as fast as possible.. pm me if this is the case i can discuss it further with you..

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
i suspect for many people who should be concerned it's a deep rooted opposition to your growth. 2001-2007 was huge for everyone my age now everybody's doing # that doesnt help humanity as a whole not even themselves, in fact my friends including myself for a while wer involved in self destructive tendencies because it seemed the only non opposed form of enjoyment these days, esp since my primary fun source growing up was challenging the teachings of my teachers in school. college is no bueno unless you cant learn for yourself, but even then, its better to educate yourself and find enjoyment in that, before you lose that ability...

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

You have Colegeitous a condition brought on by having to much fun all the time.

To overcome this condition pace yourself until the week ends. You know you will

be alright when you can still remember your parents phone number to ask for

money. ^Y^

[edit on 25-9-2009 by amari]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Genetically modified soy is used in everything. It was never intended for human consumption. This I believe is one of the reasons people are fatigued. Drinkbottled spring water. Switch to the adkins diet ,eat alphalfa,and drink one cut of sage tea a day. If this does not work eat more neck meats.

Weight lifting inconjunction with aerobics is a must at this time. Do yoga exercises which help the pituitary gland and the thyroid.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Lol,

i'm the last person on this world that will smoke pot, let alone drink.

My mind just feels so damn full, all of my ideas come in pieces.

I'm not depressed because there's nothing for me to be depressed about.

I think there's an environmental factor going on.

I noticed that these might be contributors to my problem:

flouride (I started feeling dumb after using mouth wash)
overworking?
boredom- no money to pursue hobbies

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Sometimes when you're young you try to be smart all the time. As one gets older I think it's common to switch it on and off.

Like when I am at the dollar store or shopping for groceries, I like to make my mind go blank. There is no inner dialog. No words form. My mind is like a dog's mind then I guess.

When doing different tasks you need to get into a different "gestalt". Say like you are removing the radiator on your truck, you try for a mechanics mindset. Then you have to file a difficult tax return, you put on your accountant's or lawyer's hat.

Then the toilet overflows and you have to dig out the main line. You become plumber like.

It is time for evening prayers and you become one of the "faithful".

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I was completely gone a few weeks ago....like seriously in a freky cloud like I could barley even hear others or my own converstaions anymore even.....

It was so bad, with what little bit of brains I had left I went on a vitamin splurge....

I got super greens, energizing greens, magnesium, super b vitamins, vitamin c, and metamucil 3 times a day now to clean out the crap so I can actualy absorb something...bio-k bacteria, went nuts on the colloidal silver first, then started the vitamins and bio cultures...

I am not all the way back, but probly back to where I was about 3 years ago.

I haven't felt fully "awake" since 1989, and a few times I remeber feeling awake around 1996.....that is my goal now, to WAKE UP one morning and actually feel like I am AWAKE for real again......

there is hope, but you have to be on a super battle against it, from every angle....

I am eating all fresh veggies with hempseed oil and apple cider vinigar for dressing...the whole deal.....full on ATTACK for getting my health back.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
Should I blame my problems on social pressure and the popular media?

Hmmmm......very interesting case......

Let's see....you've been posting and contributing to ATS since 2007.....hmmmm......

I'm just saying.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join