Does this look like America to you?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by 0neKnows: When you block streets (traffic), and you yell on megaphones, and yell on the top of your lungs while carrying signs, you are disturbing the peace, and you are going to get broken up by the law. You are disturbing people who want to have nothing to do with the protest.

I'm going to say it, and I'm sure I'm going to get some flack for it, but quite frankly those people are part of the problem. Those sit at home, don't want to be involved, "it's my right as an American to be lazy and not care," American-Idol couch potatoes that allow so much grief to be created for the rest of us who do pay attention. I could care less whether their streets are blocked, and I could care less whether they hear someone yelling that is carrying a sign.

That is the laziest, most revolting cop-out that has become so common to knock a protest. "The protesters are protesting, thus, they're wrong."

I hope those people in their cushy apartments with cable tv get upset, and I hope they can't get into their BMW to drive two blocks down the road to get some Pringles because they're too lazy to walk. Maybe when the riot police are chucking gas cans at the protesters, a few will inadvertently whack a couple of those lazy people in the head and wake them up to reality.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound

Face it, to want to be a Cop in this country, in this century, you pretty much have to be a power-hungry thug who just wants to be with the best equiped street gang. They no longer care if we respect them, only that we fear them.

Traitors. Every one of them.

Before I reply to your post, let me start by introducing myself.

This is my first post although I have watched these forums for a couple years. I will be very open with you all and tell you that I work in a management position with a Federal Law Enforcement Agency. I am very open minded and also feel that there are many dangers facing our country that you all clearly see as well and discuss. I admire the spirit that you all display in your concern for our country's well-being.

That being said, I take great offense with the above-quoted post. Your sweeping generalization of all law enforcement officers as being jack-booted thugs is the kind of rhetoric that only shows how narrow-minded you are. You generalize us all to be power-hungry monsters, yet you disregard the dangers we face and the sacrifices we make to protect those that we serve. Am I saying that there aren't bad apples? Off course not; that would be ignorant on my behalf.

Your words only make our jobs harder. You encourage confrontation with law enforcement with your remarks, then cry foul when you see the results. You can never imagine the headaches we endure to protect those that need it, yet you have the luxury of Monday-morning quarterbacking everything we do. You can spend hours replaying a video that supposedly captures someone's rights being violated without having to make a split-second life or death decision or knowing the context of the encounter. Are there videos which do show excessive use of force? Absolutely. And of course, those are the ones that are spread around the internet like wildfire. You may never see the video of the officer that is shot and killed just because of the uniform he wears; never hear the audio of that video as he pleads for his life and cries our with his dying breath. You never see the video of his supervisor having to tell his wife and children that their husband and father will never be coming home. Yet we are all monsters...

Your words disgrace those officers who have given their lives to protect those that could not protect themselves.

I had to get that off my chest. I'm sure my first post, coupled with my stated profession will make me anything but popular here. I see that your post was given several stars, so obviously there are many here that feel the way you do. To all of you I can only ask this; like any other group, avoid stereotypes and generalizations and think about the farther reaching effects of you comments. While I cannot speak on behalf of the entire Federal Government, I can safely say that we are not here to harm you. I have taken an Oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America and I can tell you that we take that very seriously.

Thank you for your time.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Welcome to the new america. Facist america.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by JWH44

I appreciate your position and I respect your service. I do.

Originally posted by JWH44

Your words only make our jobs harder...

Your words disgrace those officers who have given their lives to protect those that could not protect themselves...

Our "words" are part of our inalienable rights. The sacrifice of law enforcement officers and the difficult challenges of the job should not give them license to trample the Constitutional Rights of citizens they serve.

[edit on 26/9/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

This looks like a bunch of college kids to me. Unorganized, scared to death, have no idea what they are even there for. One would think they would play this on the news to "show us what happens when we stand up" but there is very little. When and if the time comes, I will not run, I've got my own gas masks, and scary looking tac gear. I know there are many others like me, so when its time to stand up for real, things will be very different. I'm glad these people are exercising their rights, but I feel they are being made a mockery of.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I understand that clearly and I hope that you understand that I do not condone civil rights violations. I have personally contributed to investigations of Agents accused of civil rights violations and have seen at least two of my colleagues end up in prison for their illegal actions.

The point I was making is to avoid language that labels all law enforcement as evil tyrants. My original post was quoting just that type of response. Believe me when I tell you, my agency has no tolerance for violations of civil rights. They are investigated fiercly and, as I said, offenders found guilty generally end up behind bars. I've seen it happen several times in my Agency alone.

I just want to remind the members here that we are not all out to get you; the vast majority of us are here to do our job so you can sleep safely at night. As I said, there are bad apples, just like any other job in the world. But we do not tolerate it. If nothing else, all I want to get across is that, when you see someone in uniform with a badge, don't immediately assume that we are the Gestapo. Don't judge us all from the actions of the few that tarnish the badge.

link   
Why are they being harrased anyway?

That's public property

Those riot guys should all rot in jail.

link   
It's a disgrace! Really, these people's taxes pay them, and they treat them like this? What is happening to America? God, we don't see this in Canada. Then again, I must say that the police here in Toronto are very friendly. The first time I visited in 1997, I was lost downtown, holding a map and trying to figure out where I was, and a cop car approached me...

I thought "Oh God, what now?". The officer asked where I wanted to go, I told him, and he gave me a ride to my destination!

My South African buddies asked why I didn't move to the US, well, this video answers their questions.

Ohhhh Canada...

Edited for this:

" O Canada! our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee."

The 3rd last line says it ALL - Free! I'm grateful this country took me in, and gave me opportunity to experience this culture

[edit on 26-9-2009 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
It's a disgrace! Really, these people's taxes pay them, and they treat them like this? What is happening to America? God, we don't see this in Canada. Then again, I must say that the police here in Toronto are very friendly. The first time I visited in 1997, I was lost downtown, holding a map and trying to figure out where I was, and a cop car approached me...

I thought "Oh God, what now?". The officer asked where I wanted to go, I told him, and he gave me a ride to my destination!

My South African buddies asked why I didn't move to the US, well, this video answers their questions.

Ohhhh Canada...

if you want "freedom" move to Canada.

We'll show you real freedom.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by JWH44

Originally posted by Ambient Sound

Face it, to want to be a Cop in this country, in this century, you pretty much have to be a power-hungry thug who just wants to be with the best equiped street gang. They no longer care if we respect them, only that we fear them.

Traitors. Every one of them.

Before I reply to your post, let me start by introducing myself.

This is my first post although I have watched these forums for a couple years. I will be very open with you all and tell you that I work in a management position with a Federal Law Enforcement Agency. I am very open minded and also feel that there are many dangers facing our country that you all clearly see as well and discuss. I admire the spirit that you all display in your concern for our country's well-being.

That being said, I take great offense with the above-quoted post. Your sweeping generalization of all law enforcement officers as being jack-booted thugs is the kind of rhetoric that only shows how narrow-minded you are. You generalize us all to be power-hungry monsters, yet you disregard the dangers we face and the sacrifices we make to protect those that we serve. Am I saying that there aren't bad apples? Off course not; that would be ignorant on my behalf.

Your words only make our jobs harder. You encourage confrontation with law enforcement with your remarks, then cry foul when you see the results. You can never imagine the headaches we endure to protect those that need it, yet you have the luxury of Monday-morning quarterbacking everything we do. You can spend hours replaying a video that supposedly captures someone's rights being violated without having to make a split-second life or death decision or knowing the context of the encounter. Are there videos which do show excessive use of force? Absolutely. And of course, those are the ones that are spread around the internet like wildfire. You may never see the video of the officer that is shot and killed just because of the uniform he wears; never hear the audio of that video as he pleads for his life and cries our with his dying breath. You never see the video of his supervisor having to tell his wife and children that their husband and father will never be coming home. Yet we are all monsters...

Quote Shortened!

Thank you for your time and I can see you seem to be an honest man! a little delusional maybe, but honest never the less in your own weird way I suppose!

But as an European who has some experience from protests on the barricades & riots in my youth I must say:

Quit your job then!

Stop making excuses for taking orders from the corpofascist establishment!

As we can see from the pictures with the exaggerated aggressions and the police brutality - the police is the enemy

People need to stop defending the fascist pigs of Government - don't be their tool!

[edit on 26-9-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

Originally posted by truth/seeker
The LRAD was meant for Iraq. It's now patrolling a U.S. city.
[edit on 25/9/2009 by kosmicjack]

Sorry but this just illustrates your hypocracy, aren't the people in Iraq humans too? So you think it's ok to use such weapon on people in Iraq but when same is used on yourself you say how unfair it is. What makes you think people in Iraq do not have peacefull protests? It's actually funny these days how the war mongering people who supported Bush for the illegal war on Iraq are now crying and wailing and stomping their feets on ground when they faced only a lil' of the music they were serving to other countries.

And let me make myself clear, if the ciizens nomatter if they were American, British, Iraqi etc. were creating havoc, destroying properties or creating ruckus I fully support such instruments to be used against them at all cost. It does not change the crime of violence based on nationality, if American citizens behave violently use of force is acceptable similarly like as you yourself think use of force is acceptable for Iraqi's, Afghani's, Somali's, Palestinians etc or any other non-american.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by JWH44

Thank you.

I understand where you are coming from.

You must also understand that these videos are coupled with the weekly tazing incidents we see of moms with children, the handicapped, the elderly and the mentally challenged.

There's a cognitive dissonance at work that makes what you say versus what we experience very difficult to reconcile.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
While I completely agree that obama and cronies, bankers, etc, are TRYING to implement a fascist state of some order, you DO NOT see the cops doing this at the tea partys. Reason? The crowds at the tea paries are not a bunch of adolescents destroying, burning, throwing things and overturning things. You don't want the cops to chase you down in riot gear, then don't riot, yet anyways.

My guess is, ironically, an overwhelming majority of these people were/are obama supporters. They supposedly are against much of what obama is for yet they can't see his connection. They believe in so much of the "nonsense" they hear they cannot separate fact from fiction nor contradiction from comparison. I think this makes them so confused that they subconsciously lash out with wild, UNCONTROLLED protest at what so many of us rightfully fear. They just don't know how to process all the information nor act appropriately to it.

This mentality and the actions it produces WILL pit police and military against the people, not stand with them. Act mature and civil, not like the animals you protest, and the enemy can never win as the truth is always victorious in the end.

If force ends up being the only option to stop the growing evil (I do unfortunately think it may be) , everything will go much smoother and have much more of a following if sanity was not discarded along the way. We still have not used all civil options we have at our disposal to stop this.

All it is going to take is one act of ignorant violence to dis-rail the whole revolution that is under way to take back our country.

On another note,

I know many of these protesters are against capitalism. Stop and think about it, we do not have true capitalism, we have crony capitalism. The inept and greedy are not allowed to fail thanks to their buddies in Washington. In a true capitalist system, the market would weed all the aholes that are in power out. Think of it like survival of the fittest. What we have now is survival of the connected.

While no system is perfect, TRUE capitalism gives the most people the best chance of self and community fulfillment. I know you have been brainwashed to think it is evil but thats because we have not had that system for 100 years. We have the warped system I discussed above.

True capitalism keeps in check entities like walmart, bank of America, and goldman sachs. It allows and ensures local-ism (small local business and farms).

True capitalism comes with booms and busts with the busts being short and new opportunity is opened up when it is over. Its like a forest fire that is allowed to burn itself out. New growth flourishes once its over and the risk of fire is gone for a long time. Fresh and green doesn't burn well.

What we have now still has booms and busts but the busts last much longer, like a forest fire that is fought and contained. It keeps reigniting, taking along time to put out. And when its all over, there is still loads of unburned old fuel that will just be part of the next fire. And because all that fuel was left, the fires come over and over again instead of once every 50-100 years.

Making money and bettering yourself is NOT evil as long as you do not actively hurt someone getting it. You have been told that individualism and personal exceptional-ism is bad to keep you down because the greedy bast#@ds don't want the competition. Its just one of the "tools" they use to consolidate power.

[edit on 26-9-2009 by I_am_Spartacus]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Come on...

My point is that it was tax payer funded to be used against a foreign enemy and yet, now, it's being used against United States citizens.

Yes the people of Iraq matter, yes it was a war based on lies, yes the whole freaking situation sucks but I am trying to put this domestic situation in terms every tax-paying citizen of the U.S. can understand.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

I Live in Mississauga buddy!

I've even met "Hurricane Hazel"! She gave me a 30 minute session to meet me and my folks in July, in her office! That's what makes Canada great - the people you pay via taxes, give you time of day!

Edit: For those of you who don't know Hazel, check this link out:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by JWH44

JWH44, I have a couple of questions for you.

1st, why do you hang around on this board and read the posts?

2. I am aware there are 2 sides to every story, but with a lot of the info posted on this site in regards to law enforcement and military, are you appalled by any of it? And if so, if you find it unconstitutional, or an abuse of powers, what are you doing, or willing to do, from your position to make a difference?

looking forward to your reply.

I would also like to add, in regards to the video of the person being snatched up by the guys in camo...Does anyone notice the kid wearing a black shirt, with a backpack and a red bandana on his neck? There is another video posted on here that I have seen of that same kid getting arrested at a different time. This suggests that he was in a group that was doing something that warranted his arrest.

[edit on 26-9-2009 by Thumb]

[edit on 26-9-2009 by Thumb]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I hated cops before this and now I feel like running over a police station with a tank.

[edit on 26-9-2009 by SonsOfAnarchy]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
To be honest I have to rethink things. I'm in the USA and when I watched things like this in other Countries I thought what is the matter with those people and took the cops as the good guys but NOW:

It seems I am for the people that are trying to fight for there rights and freedoms.

I learned that at times all things are not as they appear, I had a wake up call and see how the Government is taking everything away.

[edit on 26-9-2009 by observe50]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by I_am_Spartacus

The overwhelming number of participants in the videos were not committing any crimes. They were exercising their Constitutional Rights of freedom of assembly and and freedom of speech.

Even if some protesters were engaged in illegal activity, that should not mean that all of them should be denied their rights.

This sort of either/or argument is what has allowed the slow descent into fascism that we are witnessing. "When we give up our liberties for safety..."

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
reply to post by December_Rain

Come on...

My point is that it was tax payer funded to be used against a foreign enemy and yet, now, it's being used against United States citizens.

Yes the people of Iraq matter, yes it was a war based on lies, yes the whole freaking situation sucks but I am trying to put this domestic situation in terms every tax-paying citizen of the U.S. can understand.

Anyone who commits a crime is an enemy irrespective wether it's foreign or domestic. If any American citizen breaks the law they should be treated in same manner as other people are. Being American does not provide immunity to create havoc, destroy property in the name of "peacefull protests".

America is a democracy where all and every people irrespective of their color, creed and religion should be treated equally. Equally not only in terms of within United States but equally in terms of global. When you sanction the right to use such policies against "foreign" you sanction them to use it "domestic" too otherwise it's sheer hypocracy.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join