It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One million homeless school children now in US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This news just breaks my heart. What have we become?

May God bless these children and the United States of America in this, our dark hour of need.

Charity is one child in a national surge of homeless schoolchildren that is driven by relentless unemployment and foreclosures. The rise, to more than one million students without stable housing by last spring, has tested budget-battered school districts as they try to carry out their responsibilities — and the federal mandate — to salvage education for children whose lives are filled with insecurity and turmoil.

The instability can be ruinous to schooling, educators say, adding multiple moves and lost class time to the inherent distress of homelessness.

More at source
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Look at the bright side. The next generation of Americans will be grounded, realistic individuals. A far cry from the fat, dumb, degenerate and entitled youth of today.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
One million homeless school children probably means that many plus+ plus homeless families. And we know that this number increases daily. I'm sure that there are countless "not" in school.
Yes..this is very, very sad.

Not that I am in total agreement with our school systems. Yet there is a sense of community and comraderie for transient little ones in their schools, as well as cafeterias.

Do something on your own local level however...if you do have school age children; talk to teachers, counselors, lunch staff. Donate clothes, food, money...anything and everything to keep these kids in school and moving forward.

We cannot afford another grapes of wrath!!

Namaste

ZM

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by eldard
Look at the bright side. The next generation of Americans will be grounded, realistic individuals. A far cry from the fat, dumb, degenerate and entitled youth of today.

That statistic does not have a bright side .

In fact it may hint at an increase in the prison population ......in a decade or so.

Fat dumb and degenerate could just as easily = poor & uneducated from a broken home.

A terrible burden on young minds .

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Sad indeed....which means their parents are also not working. But even if they were....since both parents have to work now for most families to make ends meet.....many kids have a lower chance of succeeding than we did. I grew up with one parent at home....as most did before me. No longer for this generation.

The lost youth. I'm a Gen-Xer.....but this generation is the the generation of the lost. They are the real unknowns as their future is completely uncertain in a world of crap we are leaving them.

I keep stating this....

Let's hope the best for our kids and hope they learn from our idiotic mistakes....

[edit on 25-9-2009 by David9176]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Too bad your generation and the one before yours didn't take the sensible route and not made the mistakes in the first place, instead of leaving me and my children to try and clean it up.

Sooner or later someone has to take responsibility, and the "learning from our mistakes" line has become quite irksome to young people. It's just another way of excusing your actions and leaving the results for the next generation to clean up.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by eldard

homelessness at an early age leads to "grounded, realistic individuals"?

Um no...... it leads to parasite-infested, dirty, malnourished, traumatized, drug-addicted, sexually, physically, and mentally abused, unemployable, eventually psychotic individuals, with little to no concept of empathy.

you encourage this eldard?

bright side my a$$..

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

With all due respect my good sir, as I am none of those things I wish for you to take your pre concieved notions and shove them. I don't think I've been more offended in several days, at least.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.

Too bad your generation and the one before yours didn't take the sensible route and not made the mistakes in the first place, instead of leaving me and my children to try and clean it up.

Life doesn't come with an instruction book. Nobody can wave a magic wand and correct what has been going on since the beginning of time. Every generation has complaints about the one before it, but it the problems we are having stretch far futher back than just a generation or the one before it.

Sooner or later someone has to take responsibility, and the "learning from our mistakes" line has become quite irksome to young people. It's just another way of excusing your actions and leaving the results for the next generation to clean up.

And who would the someone be? What do you mean by responsibility? Is it the responsibility of just one person, or everybody?

With you attitude, I don't see much of a change. You want to blame a particular entity or generation, when what really needs to be done is people working together, not matter what the generational gap may be.

Just wait until you have kids and they look at you with the same thoughts you expressed here. You have no idea, until you lived it, young person!

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

It's just another way of excusing your actions and leaving the results for the next generation to clean up.

You assume I've made all of these mistakes. I am one person. I am not 300 million. I am not in debt...I did not buy a house I couldn't afford...I did not support an unconstitutional war. I have lived within my means and I am by no means rich.

BTW....I am looking for a house...I just got approved for a 200,000 loan..which I could NEVER afford...yet someone will loan it to me...even after the housing crisis.

Yes, my kid will pay the price as well as yours. Do not place blame on me.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The NY Times reports something so it must be true?

Anyway.....the reports says "one million students without stable housing"

What is the definition of stable housing? What is the definition of "unstable housing?"

What is the definition of liberal propaganda?

We already have a Student Lunch Program....how long until they ask for a Student Housing Program??????

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge
Um no...... it leads to parasite-infested, dirty, malnourished, traumatized, drug-addicted, sexually, physically, and mentally abused, unemployable, eventually psychotic individuals, with little to no concept of empathy.

you encourage this eldard?

Oh, boohoo. Most of my people are packed like sardines in our metropolises. Yet they still find ways to get by. And they are some of the kindest and most generous people you could ever meet.

And since this is about the demise of America? Ya I love it.

new topics

top topics

join