It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cigarette Taxes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Up to $30 for a 50g pouch in OZ, for sure these taxes are not going to the right places to be used for what the high taxes are meant for.
makes one want to grow their own for these prices, but even that is outlawed.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I can buy a packet of rolling tobacco for around 15 cents - cigarettes are about $2 a pack - living in SE Asia - and loving it!

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by skeetontheconspiracy

what brand of cigarettes are those? so i can stay as far away as possible from them.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by redgy
Up to $30 for a 50g pouch in OZ, for sure these taxes are not going to the right places to be used for what the high taxes are meant for.

Gee - I wonder who managed to draft and make a law thats makes growing tobacco illegal? Bah - corporations run countries, not governments - and certainly not the people.

Just grow it - then if they try and do something about it - then they will have a hard time explaining away why its illegal - to protect the interests of the tobacco companies - that's the only possible conclusion.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

I'm not sure about other countries, but here in the UK, it's perfectly OK to grow the stuff..

You just aren't allowed to sell it.. Because of taxes!

Which really, is fine by me, I can just grow as much as I like and give away as much as I like!

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeetontheconspiracy

The fire safe part is actually 2 really thin bands of aluminum in the paper.

Yeah it wont burn your house down, but we all know how bad aluminum is for you.

That's not true.

The substance we are using for FSC is called ethylene vinyl acetate. Look it up yourself, you'll see I am right. It's just about as bad though. The FDA has never tested ethylene vinyl acetate's burning properties to see if it is safe for human inhalation. In fact on the MSDS for the substance it says not to inhale fumes create from the burning of EVA.

But this is all for the well being of the American people.

[edit on 26-9-2009 by KnoxMSP]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by KnoxMSP

The fire safe part is actually 2 really thin bands of aluminum in the paper.

Yeah it wont burn your house down, but we all know how bad aluminum is for you.

That's not true.

The substance we are using for FSC is called ethylene vinyl acetate. Look it up yourself, you'll see I am right. It's just about as bad though. The FDA has never tested ethylene vinyl acetate's burning properties to see if it is safe for human inhalation. In fact on the MSDS for the substance it says not to inhale fumes create from the burning of EVA.

But this is all for the well being of the American people.

Eeewwwww.....

No doubt that crap will be winging its way into UK ciggies any day...

I'll just stick to my roll-ups..

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by redgy

i'm not sure about the law in oz, but it is certainly legal to grow your own tobacco in the UK & US.

here's an excert from this article:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

'"Cigarette smokers say, 'Yeah, we're going to die of cancer, but do we have to die of poverty as well?'" said Jack Basharan, who operates The Tobacco Seed Co. Ltd. in Essex, England. Virtually all of his increased tobacco seed sales have been in the U.S., he said.

Provided the tobacco isn't sold or traded, the Food and Drug Administration doesn't regulate homegrown tobacco. Most people grow for cigarettes, but some blend their own cigars and chew.'

namaste

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I use rolling tobacco for the very reason that cigarettes,even before have always been far too expensive imo.Ok i may look like an old man with my golden virginia but saves alot of pennies.As for my health,there are things in everyday life people seem to forget that damage your health just as severely yet the extremist anti-smokers moan and bitch about tobacco.It's absurd.90% of the time they are mindless drones that i wouldn't give the time of day to anyway.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
What's really bad is that now the FDA is going after Ecigs. Not to pimp the product or anything but I'm a 20 year smoker and thanks to the ecig I've been off real cigs for over a month now.
For those who don't know- ecigs don't produce smoke they produce water vapor. The units usually consist of a battery pack made to look like a faux cigarette with a glowing LED tip that lights up when you take a drag, and an atomizer to vaporize the liquid (ejuice) contained in premade or self filled cartridges. The resulting vapor is free of the 4000+ chemicals that are inhaled when you ignite a cigarette (including the tar). But don't take my word for it check it out yourself- just type ecig in you search engine.
Oregon is currently one of two states to ban the sale of ecigs and it's all based on a misinformation campaign perpetrated by the FDA itself. To think you could continue to smoke and not mess up your lungs, not get cancer and not die but no! the Pigs can't have that! No more cancer patients an no more tax paying smokers. Makes you wonder what if healthcare reform has anything to do with this. SOMEONE START A THREAD ON THIS PLEASE- I KNOW THAT IT WORKS- NO MORE BAD BREATH NO MORE MIDNIGHT COUGHING JAGS. NO MORE EMPHYSEMA.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by R0BCROW75

I was browsing opinions about e-cigs,which im going to try again but i purchased one that was not so good.I didn't know the quality was so variable.Anyway i was looking on an anti-smoking forum about them(can't remember which) but it was uk based.And i would say a good 70% of people on a thread talking about them *still* wanted them banned from use in public places.Even though there are absolute no health risks via passive smoking,which even with normal cigs is a very debatable subject.But because they looked like cigs..really.They actually wanted to ban them because of this.Then again the uk is going literally mad with idiots like this up and down the country.

[edit on 26-9-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

That's ridiculous. Ban something because it looks like a cigarette? How can they justify that? I think is high tax is only the beginning. i think first they will try too see how high they can get it before a public outcry. and then they are gonna move on to taxing other things to the highest point. until every sip of coffee will cost you a quarter.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I really believe that anything you consume in excess will lead to health problems. For example my friends mom saw me outside having a smoke the other day and said "gotta have your death sticks!" while taking a drink out of her coca cola. I don't mind tho, shes always messin with me! I remember thinking to myself 'gotta have your bottled diabetes.'

One way or another if you consume too much of anything... its bad for you.

So what gives our gov't the right to cherry pick which substances are going to be taxed to INSANE prices? Whatever, I'm just glad I can still get my camel filters for $5.38 ... I cannot imagine playing $8 to $10 a pack in most cities.

Omni

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Tesla

until every sip of coffee will cost you a quarter.

Now that I will absolutely not tolerate..!

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Grow your own smokes before its too late to buy the seeds!

Grow your own

People need to know that the true drug crime is profiting off human weakness. This is true if your are the Royal Family selling opium in China, or Seagrams or the corner store profiting off the 4 addictions*. This is particularly true if your are the government taxing beyond the direct social cost of a drug.

While rest of us shouldn't have to subsidize the health costs of smokers, its not right to put cigarrette tax money in the general fund.

Incidentally, most of the harmful effects of smoking isn't the nicotine. Only 5% of the harm is from the nicotine, yet governments prevent the development of safe alternative delivery system.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I'm a non smoker and I am utterly against this tax. In my mind I find it bad enough that they are made to be extraordinarily addictive but then to tax it so severely knowing most can't quit is exploitation. I could be way off the mark with this one but I don't think it was put in place to encourage people to rethink the habit of smoking...

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by YEAHHA
I am a smoker and the new taxes imposed are really putting a strain on my wallet, I havn't been able to quit on my own. I have tried patches, gum, and commit to no avail. My doctor gave me a script for chantex but it will cost $150 a month after my insurance. And now the great state has required all cigs sold after Jan 1 2010 be consitered "fire safe" meaning the tobacco companies will put more chemicals in the ciggs that make them snuff out if the smoker doesnt take a drag for a few mins i mean wtf fire retardant ciggs?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Hahaha...that really made my day "fire safe cigg." Sorry I have never heard of them ever before. but that is hilarious. Out here in India also the govt. has raised taxes too much on ciggs. lately. Just like 2-3 yrs ago the 10pc cigg pack I used to buy for $0.26 now costs me $0.42 ofcourse in local currency that's quiet a sum eventhough it doesnt seem like much in dollars.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Reply to post by Doc Tesla

Doc Tesla - it's not one particular brand of ciggs, its all ciggs. any that are considered "fire-safe" all you have to do is look for a time date on the pack somewhere showing when the smokes were made, on my pack of camels the stamp is "FSC F9 3BF9CL3", and look for the letters FSC, that means fire-safe ciggarette. All smokes in US are required to be FSC by some time in 2010 but most states already make it mandatory.

KnoxMSP - thanks for proving me wrong, I just know what I've heard from friends. Glad to know what it actually is that makes them fire safe, but its still horrible.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

KnoxMSP - thanks for proving me wrong, I just know what I've heard from friends. Glad to know what it actually is that makes them fire safe, but its still horrible.

Wasn't trying to prove anyone wrong. That sounds confrontational. I just work in the industry so it's kind of my job to know. I just wanted to correct you.

Either way it's getting ridiculous. Good news is there are rumors floating around that are saying they may have to pull the firesafe cigarettes because they are finding some pretty negative results with their testing.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
You guys are nuts if you are still buying cigarrettes.

I gave up smoking the day they raised the tax on tobacco and switched to Copenhagan. The day before the taxes were raised it was 4 dollars a can. The day the taxes went up, they lowered the price to 3 dollars.

I can buy a weeks worth of Copenhagan, five cans, for the same price that you guys can buy 1 1/2-3 packs of cigarrettes.

Suckers.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join