It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From personal experience how long should you strech to get flexible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
What would be an appropriate amount of time to strech to get flexable?? 30 seconds , 3 sets each???? Ive used google and thats what I got, so I am wondering what are the best techniques for you guys?

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I stretch 5 sets each set I count to ten or stop before ten if I start feeling pain. Slight discomfort is a good thing but pain is bad. Also try to do some light walking or light weight lifting before stretching, that is how I do it. If you want to see how flexible I am check out the video from the following link.

www.youtube.com...

You can really tell how flexible I am by the end of the video because I do the splits near the end...

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
What we did when I was in Highschool Cheerleading was three times a week, we would sit on our butts with our legs out-stretched like a "V" as far as you could get it. Reach for either your left or right foot, reach as far as you can like fatguydancingslim said, feel the discomfort feeling. Hold this and I think it would be best to count to 20 to 25. Then sit up strait in your "V" postition, reach out as far as you can infront of you without arching your back, your aim is to push your belly button to the floor. Hold for 20-25 count. Return to the sitting up "V" position, the continue your stretch to the unstretched leg for another 20-25 count.
Lean Long muscles

Also I feel that stretching makes me feel more relaxed. My gym teacher told me that It stretched out toxins? But don't quote me on it haha. :]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I would say it depends on you fitness already, Its really going to be down to where you are at right now, DO it daily and build up, Also if you can join a class for it so you learn to do it without injuring your self, Even if you just got too a couple of classes to get the gist of it,

I find Karate ect a good place to learn this..

Sometimes gyms will also give you some free advice,

but again gentle stretches then build it up when your body feels it can push,
Stop if you start to shake.. thats when your doing it a little to much,

disclaimer: i am no fitness guru so take my advice as just that "advice"

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I will usually hold a position (unless it becomes painful) for at least two minutes and often longer, during which time I sorta of push the stretch a little.

Never bob or make quick motions when you stretch -- you can easily damage ligaments/muscles. If you're doing leg/hamstring stretches, you can hold a towel or belt/rope etc. looped around your instep to help pull yourself closer.

Back in grade/high school, we were told to sit on the floor with one leg hooked backward and the other extended. Maybe this is fine for the young, but I personally believe such a stretch is potentially dangerous.

If you're elevating a leg for a groin stretch, try to lift your leg slowly, rather than "kick" it onto a surface. That way, you know that you can handle the stretch.

For myself, a long, slow stretch does a lot of good, and once I got into the habit of doing it every morning, it's now a welcome routine that I miss if I'm unable to do it. Learning how to do some Tai Chi motions (I learned from a videotape) got me into the mode. Tai Chi in general seems like gentle stretching in motion. good stuff.

new topics

top topics

join