It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

woman "marries" Eiffel Tower

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Ok this is not how I wanted this thread to look but due to posting errors, internet failure and that pesky homepage I have lost this thread THREE TIMES. So this time its gonna be short. I have already spent a lot of time re-typing it 3 times...So if you have questions ask. I am not doing this again

I was online looking for Eiffel Tower Xmas lights and stumbled upon this article:

Woman Proves Love for Eiffel Tower with Commitment Ceremony

Erika La Tour Eiffel's madly in love. Her partner resides in Paris and is the tall, strong and silent type. Yet since they married in a ceremony with friends in the City of Love, the logistics of an intimate relationship have been more than a little challenging. Her spouse, after all, is the Eiffel Tower.

Erika is one of a handful of people around the world called "objectum sexuals" - people who fall in love with inanimate objects. Profiled in a documentary entitled "The Woman Who Married the Eiffel Tower," she is shown hugging her "husband" and professing love for him, or it.

An ex U.S. Army soldier, she was reportedly sexually abused while growing up and was diagnosed with a chronic post-traumatic stress disorder. Upon "marrying" the iconic structure, Erika actually changed her surname to LaTour Eiffel. In the documentary, she discusses her relationship with the Parisian landmark, and claims to be very much in love.

Yet the Tower isn't her first love. Previously she was in love with Lance, which was a bow, and during that relationship, she became a world champion in archery.

People who are OS have relationships with objects not people. These objects can be anything from a tower to a bridge to a computer to a phone. It says in a few articles people with OS have a form of Aspergers sydrome a spectrum of Autisim and many have suffered some type of trauma while younger incl sexual abuse. It seems Mrs. Eiffel was abused as a child and bounced around in foster homes until being adopted. It is said traumas like this can contribute to this. There are some who dont believe this to be a disorder but a new type of sexual orientation.

Certified sexologist Amy Marsh, from Albany, Calif., has a different take. She said objectum sexual is not a disorder, but possibly a new sexual orientation

abcnews.go.com...

We love objects and many of us in an intimate way and this feeling is innate. Objectùm-sexual love comes for most in a similar awakening as other sexualities at the start of puberty. This is often followed by an acute awareness that we do not relate to peers due to the source of the projected feelings. Often objectùm-sexual people feel outcast or pressured by mainstream sexuality with a helpless feeling that we cannot change what comes so naturally.

www.objectum-sexuality.org... This is the website for people who have OS.

On first meeting, Erika La Tour Eiffel appears extraordinarily ordinary. An ex-US Army soldier, the 36-year-old lives in San Francisco. She is also a former world champion in archery – propelled to success, she believes, by her love for Lance, a bow. She now claims to be married to the Eiffel Tower, following a ceremony with friends last year in Paris, at which she promised eternal love to the iron monument and changed her name legally to reflect the bond. "There is a huge problem with being in love with a public object," she says sadly. "The issue of intimacy – or rather lack of it – is forever present."

www.aspiesforfreedom.com...

Seems she wasnt the first person to "marry" an object. A woman married the Berlin Wall about 30 years ago. This article here gives examples of other people have OS. I dont know what to think of this. I love the Eiffel Tower and I will hug it when I finally see it but I am not going to marry it. What do you guys think of this? OS people dont think its a disorder where outsiders tend think it is.

www.aspiesforfreedom.com...

There was a documentary made about Erika Eiffel and her love for the Eiffel Tower. Here it is

What do you guys think about OS? Is it a disorder or something else?

My opinion on it is if they are happy who are they harming? Yes it is an extreme form of loving something but who am I to judge?

Erika Eiffel kissing her Tower.

to add photos

[edit on 9/25/2009 by mblahnikluver]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Thats all fine and dandy....1 question, if someone else marries the tower is it polygamy?

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Remixtup
Thats all fine and dandy....1 question, if someone else marries the tower is it polygamy?

LOL I thought the same thing. I have had an "obsession" with Paris, France my entire life and mostly notably the Eiffel Tower but I'm not attracted to it in anyway like this woman is.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Oh Eiffel Tower, .... you cheating whore !!!

I saw the documentary, ... at first she was " with" a bow. ... like yeah, bow's and arrows. ..... a bow. Which she then left for the Eiffel tower.

I think it stems from her sexual abuse, ... these objects will never hurt her, cheat on her, ... or tell her she looks pleasantly plump. She can imagine them to be whatever she wants, .... they have conversations, fights, sex, just like a normal couple. The mind is a powerful thing.

Though I havent quite worked out the Intricacies of the sex, ... I'm sure after the eiffel tower, .... there is no going back.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Well, now I've heard everything. Today at least.
I'm sure all the population control fanatics will love this.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

Oh Eiffel Tower, .... you cheating whore !!!

I saw the documentary, ... at first she was " with" a bow. ... like yeah, bow's and arrows. ..... a bow. Which she then left for the Eiffel tower.

I think it stems from her sexual abuse, ... these objects will never hurt her, cheat on her, ... or tell her she looks pleasantly plump. She can imagine them to be whatever she wants, .... they have conversations, fights, sex, just like a normal couple. The mind is a powerful thing.

Though I havent quite worked out the Intricacies of the sex, ... I'm sure after the eiffel tower, .... there is no going back.

That made me laugh, thanks...I completely agree. It seems the more I read about these people the more I find they all have had some form of abuse or trauma by a person. By having a relationship with something that is unable to directly hurt you it's safe for them. They are unable to be hurt in their eyes.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

She's not necessarily harming anyone or anything, but if this is serious, She's clearly mental.
And i am not trying to sound mean or harsh... but come one man??

And i know it may be an actual "obsession" or "disorder" or whatever.... i just say, in good old fashioned terms... that she is Mental.

Good on her though...

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Was this consensual or is she taking advantage of the tower's inability to say no?

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

Was this consensual or is she taking advantage of the tower's inability to say no?

Yeah esp since Eiffel promised me first

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Well at least she is a happy mental who isnt harming anyone but herself in a sense. I dont know how a person can get on in life without having relationships with people but if they see the same things we do in people in objects than its ok with me.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
what no yakov smirnoff joke?

In Soviet Russia tower marry you.

but on a serious note, should people like this really be supported? if i was her relative i would consider sending her in for a psych treatment.

i can understand gays and even transsexuals but this is just pushing it.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Tesla
what no yakov smirnoff joke?

In Soviet Russia tower marry you.

but on a serious note, should people like this really be supported? if i was her relative i would consider sending her in for a psych treatment.

i can understand gays and even transsexuals but this is just pushing it.

I dont think she needs any psych treatment personally. She isnt harming anyone and lives a normal day to day life working like the rest of us, her "partner" just happens to be the most recognizable object on the planet. She has lost her family due to this and I feel bad for her. If her family is unable to love her unconditionally then to me they need help not her. I have been there for someone who was hurting themselves and others and I stayed there and helped them, I didnt turn my back on them.
Her last "partner" was a bow she named Lance and from that she became a championship archer and even won 250k. So not so bad IMO.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Hem, interesting story. The human mind can manifest some very odd behavior. I would think it stems from some type of OCD, possibly urged on by (as someone else already said) sexual issues. Interesting piece, thanks for sharing. In a way I think we have all experienced this on a small scale, you know those times when you don't want to throw out an old piece of furniture or throw something away(think pack rats)? Or maybe if you take care of your care an excessive amount? I think those are all very low level versions of this "inanimate obsession". It is odd sometimes how we humans can attach feelings to something that does not have them.

S/F...

[edit on 9/25/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Poor Lance the Bow, being abandoned like that, for a large tower which is neither flexible, nor capable of shooting anything, although it is always erect..

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08

Hem, interesting story. The human mind can manifest some very odd behavior. I would think it stems from some type of OCD, possibly urged on by (as someone else already said) sexual issues. Interesting piece, thanks for sharing. In a way I think we have all experienced this on a small scale, you know those times when you don't want to throw out an old piece of furniture or throw something away(think pack rats)? Or maybe if you take care of your care an excessive amount? I think those are all very low level versions of this "inanimate obsession". It is odd sometimes how we humans can attach feelings to something that does not have them.

[edit on 9/25/2009 by jkrog08]

Oh I agree! Heck I have my own personal attachment to The Eiffel Tower
so in a way I understand this women...to an extent. I love the Eiffel Tower. When I see it it makes me think of France which one day to me will be home
so I get a sense of joy when I see the Eiffel Tower because I know its always there and never lets me down just like Paris being my true love. Sounds silly but to me theres nothing wrong with it. I do have relationships with people though not objects just to make that clear

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I had heard of people doing this before, but never knew they had a name for it.
I'm sure it is hard for the family to even know how to react to something like this. Maybe they could try counseling, so they can have a better idea on how to help her or just support her.

I think for me it is really weird and some kind of mental issues going on. Do you think there is therapy for this?

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
shes insane...really >.>

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by notsosweet
I had heard of people doing this before, but never knew they had a name for it.
I'm sure it is hard for the family to even know how to react to something like this. Maybe they could try counseling, so they can have a better idea on how to help her or just support her.

I think for me it is really weird and some kind of mental issues going on. Do you think there is therapy for this?

When I read about this it made me think of this movie
Lars and The Real Girl

A young man takes a mannequin as his GF. He is unable to form relationships with others esp a real life girl so he feels safe with the mannequin. The entire town takes part and treats the mannequin like a real girl. Its a really great movie about unconditional love on a huge level. Its a great story IMO about loving someone for who they are and understanding them and guiding them in the right direction. This movie may not be the same but it reminded me of it.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by platipus
shes insane...really >.>

What makes you think she is insane? Would you like to elaborate??

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

That's what I was thinking!

In which case the marriage is totally invalid, sorry.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join