Obama will bypass Congress to detain suspects indefinitely

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Obama will bypass Congress to detain suspects indefinitely

rawstory.com

President Barack Obama has quietly decided to bypass Congress and allow the indefinite detention of terrorist suspects without charges.

The move, which was controversial when the idea was first floated in The Washington Post in May, has sparked serious concern among civil liberties advocates. Such a decision allows the president to unilaterally hold "combatants" without habeas corpus -- a legal term literally meaning "you shall have the body" -- which forces prosecutors to charge a suspect with a crime to justify the suspect's detention.

Obama's decision was buried on page A 23 of
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This is more proof that the President is just a puppet of the NWO/the military industrial complex. The President won't do anything to upset the establishment. Regardless if candidate Obama believed that this was wrong before he ran- he's reversed his position now and he's taken the same position as Bush in many of his positions. This guy isn't for change. This guy is a fake.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
The more things change the more they stay the same... Its a different president but the same kind of administration.

Well not entirely the same Obama doesn't have drunken daughters to entertain the news and shame the man.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Well Thank You. S and F.

You've made me think the country was a little worse now

Just what I needed while I listen to Barney Frank, here is his picture.

Ron Paul has unlimited time! Yes, my faith is going back up. Phew that was a close one!

To add a little more content.

I can't believe really I bought into the right left, black white, right wing left wing, when apparently all wings of a feather fly or whatever together.

The voting process may of been completely legit, doesn't mean anything will change

I bought a car last year used, told the car was great, I test drove it around town, rode good as hell, it was a mans mans car. I spent a few thousand on it, decked it out.

About a month later, not one thing was working in it... and that was all she wrote...

[edit on 25-9-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Okay. So basically, Obama is protecting the suspected terrorists.

They get treated pretty well in those places you know!! Maybe even better than they would be treated at home.

I wonder why Obama is protecting the suspected terrorists all of a sudden...? What's his plan?

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
It's just more ammunition to throw at all those thousands of people who still "somehow" have hope about Obama.

I admit I did have hope too when I saw him elected, and what has he done since? Exactly the same as Bush.

Obama has put the final nail in the coffin of democratic process.
He's proven, without a shadow of doubt, that votes mean nothing, that election promises mean nothing, that elections are pointless and hope of a fair and just government for the people is a myth.

And you know what that will do? It'll cause the many millions who voted last time (specifically the youth) to boycott the next chance. Which might be what they hope for.
People are increasingly disillusioned with politics, and just when the people thought they had a chance to change things, the figure of hope turned out to be just another BS artist.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Hum, does this include US citizens that are considered dissidents? Should I be worried because of my postings against the government? I am pretty sure I am on The list, so???????????

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
A puppet? what happens when we get caught? anyone... hello....what HAPPENS! We get our head chopped off on tv or just killed or we never come home. I think this movement to jump on everything the pesident does or says is kindergarden. There is more negitive press about what this man does its insulting. The man cant even drink a beer with out getting flack. Nobody jumped on bush as much. towards the end yes but in the begining of his second term there was much bad press. the guy hasnt even been office a year and he cant do right, thats because the RIGHT cant get him!

back to the subject

if they are killing our troops then they need to stay. Its pretty hard to gather info from people that arent on the battle field anymore. A cop has a crime scene at worst in the vicinity of his state if they guy runs . when you cathc a TERROR suspect your talking about countries apart from the detention center and the scene of the crime plus the people involved arent in the country anymore by the time legal action against this person begins. If there (TERROR SUSPECT)lucky the soldier could be dead! If he or she is not then you have to get statements from them where ever they are. Your talking months if not years of jurisdiction BS and follow up reports. The point is they did something bad and until they can be proscuted the right way they are fine there.

these civil liberities groups need to send ther loved ones over there and see how they feel if one of those guys they let out kills them. Then will they feel the same. You can cry foul when your not invovled looking from the outside in, but when you experienced it, its a different ball game.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by itsallalie

I meant that he is a puppet because he is just continuing everything that Bush did. This was something that he was against during his campaign. And he's doing it even though he was against it during the election. As for your point about us not needing to worry about civil liberties unions being upset- I disagree. This whole gitmo thing has made us embarrassed on the national stage and it has ruined our credibility in not only the eyes of American citizens upset at this but it has made other nations outraged at what we've been doing to the people at Gitmo. The people possibly have a need of being detained, but, this would also allow for the people who were wrongly detained to be detained forever, and, that's what I'm against.

reply to post by Iseekthetruth!!!!!!!!

That's my logic too. What if someone was innocent and put in there? What about them?

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

And here we have another example of "Human Rights are good, as long as I agree with the opinions of the people who's rights we are discussing!".

I assume you do know about the Watch Lists?
I assume you know that Militias are increasingly being labelled as "potential domestic terrorists"?
I am sure you are aware that several people have already been held for years and then released after being found to be INNOCENT?
I assume you are aware that torture has been consistently proven to be an unreliable source of information?
And I am sure you grasp that many have been detained and held indefinitely based on such false information?

You can't have it both ways, you either abide by international law and Human rights, or you don't. You cannot simply pick and choose what you'll follow and when as it suits you.

And, unlike you I don't think the civil liberty groups should send their loved ones over there. The members of congress, leaders, your representatives should be sending their loved ones over there. They go into these wars for oil, profit and strategic advantage, and they expect the poor people in society to fight the wars for them, to make their investments pay off, to increase their profit on the shares they have.
Those are the people who should be sending their loved ones.

[edit on 25-9-2009 by detachedindividual]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

"I think this movement to jump on everything the pesident does or says is kindergarden.""

Oh, yac a de yac, "no one jumped on Bush"....Yac a de yac... "Bush did"??????...yac a de yac "No one complained when Bush"....yac a de yac.

Newsflash! Bush is no longer here, Obama is

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by itsallalie
A puppet? what happens when we get caught? anyone... hello....what HAPPENS! We get our head chopped off on tv or just killed or we never come home. I think this movement to jump on everything the pesident does or says is kindergarden. There is more negitive press about what this man does its insulting. The man cant even drink a beer with out getting flack. Nobody jumped on bush as much. towards the end yes but in the begining of his second term there was much bad press. the guy hasnt even been office a year and he cant do right, thats because the RIGHT cant get him!

possibly you were offplanet the last 8 years. bush was bashed ceaselessly by the media, the entertainment industry as well as regular folk. he was the butt of jokes. everything he did was raked over the coals. unless you only watch fox news which did cut bush some slack, you weren't paying attention.

obama on the other hand has been treated like the Chosen One come to save the world by broadcast and print media throught the country. only conservative bloggers and again fox news have even raised questions about his actions and policies. they may question his choice of beer in the MSM or join in the picking of the dog and make much over Michelle's fashion sense but criticism? no. not happening.

obama was elected in part because of the anger toward bush. somehow the same outlets aren't willing to call obama the same names they called bush, for continuing the same policies. two wars instead of one? it's important to do what needs to be done now while under bush it was a crime. gtmo was a disgrace under bush but now it's a strategic problem that might take a while to work out, etc. perfectly understandable. no big deal.

we have already seen a demonstration of how intolerant obama is of criticism. we know from his chicago machine background that he knows how to get things done quietly to ease the way for himself. we know that he can look us in the eye and lie about who his friends are and aren't. we know that no matter what he does, what actions, he takes the democrat controlled congress won't fuss about it. won't stop him. certainly won't reverse him. look at his ACORN affiliations. he pretends they are negligible but they aren't, and i will be surprised if ACORN doesn't continue to somehow get funding no matter what is said publicly. so i think it is very likely that domestic terrorists (the only terrorists obama recognizes) will come under increasing scrutiny, eventual questioning, and detainment if anybody even knows about it will be perceived as an important precaution after the appropriate articles in the NYT and on broadcast news.

in other news, anybody who doesn't support him (the body of his actions) is vulnerable. we are all vulnerable.

the only question is, with increasing skepticism, where will they put all of us? where will the find enough people to man the detention centers? interesting situation.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Did...did we just jump back in time 8 years? Attempts to blow up skyscrapers, bypassing congress to detain prisoners indefinitely?

This sounds like a blast from the past...

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
TOO ALL OF YOU

No bush was not blasted this bad in his first year of both terms!

Yes i agree that the politicians should send there kids pver as well as the civil liberties groups as well.
war is not black and white, If your caught doning something in the streets you go to jail post bail and you show u to court the next day, when your caught in a war you post bail and they may never find you again. These people should not be let out i think the answer to this problem is not civil liberities group its law. How fast can these people be tried and have there day in court. It takes too long i agree but thats no reason to let these so called killers back out to continue fighting in the war. Its harder to collect information over there than you think. I think the system need to be changed yes but htats just life suck it up and wait.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Suck it up? Why should we suck it up? Yes, Bush was this bad in his first two terms. He rushed through the patriot act. He violated our civil liberties with his warantless spying. He started a war in Iraq. Yes, people who do bad things should go to jail but people who are innocent could now be put in Gitmo and not given a fair trial to be released from Gitmo. You don't change things by just sucking it up or just sitting there. Bush was this bad and Obama is just continuing where Bush left off. Bush started burning the of the constitution and Obama is burying it.

top topics

join