It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May 19th fuel boycott

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I recieved an Email today......begging all USA and Canadian citizens to boycott the purchase of ANY fuel/oil products on May 19th........also asking me to send this Email to everybody.
I dont SPAM no matter WHAT the note says..........but it makes me wonder

This note was CLAIMING that if all USA and Canadian people would go along with this boycott, it would have such a SERIOUS effect on the major oil companys, via drowning them in theyre own stockpiles and sending a SOLID messege about our unhappiness of the very high prices of fuel..................could this be true?
If we all only refused to buy gas for one day would the repercussions be so vast? I would think not.....but I can surley go a day without fuel purchases, so I will do this sure why not?....I only buy fuel once a week a best anyway......so WHAT if anything would such a boycott actually DO????? would it acomplish anything???
I wonder.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
It would work if everybody in the U.S. and Canada didn't fill up all their gas related engines on May 18th just so they didn't need to purchase gas on the 19th. They wouldn't be losing anything. It would need to be longer than a day. People still need to get to work unfortunately. Make it on a weekend when less people have to work....not in the middle of the week. Boycott on Sat. and Sun. 22nd-23rd.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
FOR A GAS BOYCOTT TO BE EFFECTIVE, WE WOULD NEED TO RIDE A BIKE OR THE BUS TO WORK,
THE REASON? IF WE KEEP DRIVING, WE'LL ALL BUY OUR GAS THE DAY BEFORE OR THE DAY AFTER THE BOYCOTT.
WE'D STILL BE USING THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT OF GASOLINE AS BEFORE... THEREFORE PRICES WOULDN'T FALL A PENNY.

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by spot73]

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
*sigh* every time I see those e-mails, I want to scream. They rank up thre with all the other urban legends.

The posters are right--it won't work. Look around at all the gas guzzlers..vans, trucks, SUVs and Hummers...yikes.
Do you really think they are concerned with saving fuel and the ecology

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
It worked in Britain a few years ago.Its about to happen again.If you think your fuel is expensive try paying 90 pence (approx $1.20)a litre hear.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
As it is now, I take BART to work. Cannot stand passing a corner full of gas stations and seeing what we are being gorged.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The only way this could work (I got the email, too) is if everybody walked or rode a bike to work. That would show the gas companies that they're not absloutly necessary.

Just not buying for a day would mean higher profits on the next day.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
2 words

Hydrogen Cars

not as dangerious as most might think has the same combustion rate as gas.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
2 words

Who Cares.

I'm pretty tired of people complaining about gas prices.

They'll pay 300,000+ on a stinking townhouse or condo, yet two lousy bucks for a gallon of gas is a major boil on their ass.

I say pay the money and shut up, or get an electric car.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I agree wholeheartedly with SPOT..........and dont SEE HOW this would send any REAL message.........
I put this post UP to see if anybody could come up with a reason WHY this might even work.....but I have seen nothing like that yet, everybody seams to be of the same mind I am on the subject.............
So I am thinking this is BUNK,what a waste of time.............I dont buy fuel dailey, and it wuld be EASY to make sure May 19th was not one of those days.

I cant REALLY see WHAT good this would really do, or WHAT messege it would really send..........I appreciate YOUR thoughts on the matter, and thanks for responding.......but I am not learning anything new here.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
I put this post UP to see if anybody could come up with a reason WHY this might even work.....but I have seen nothing like that yet, everybody seams to be of the same mind I am on the subject.............
So I am thinking this is BUNK, what a waste of time.............

Well, that's good to hear...I began to wonder as this was not typical of your posts

Thanks for the explanation

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
2 words

Who Cares.

I'm pretty tired of people complaining about gas prices.

They'll pay 300,000+ on a stinking townhouse or condo, yet two lousy bucks for a gallon of gas is a major boil on their ass.

I say pay the money and shut up, or get an electric car.

NOt everyone has a $300000 town house. Some of us have low income jobs and need to drive to get to work! It takes me $25+ to fill up my car and i have a HONDA! Real please refrain on the stupid statements

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo
It worked in Britain a few years ago.Its about to happen again.If you think your fuel is expensive try paying 90 pence (approx $1.20)a litre hear.

$1.20? i'd take that. it's currently $1.98 - $2.35 in my area...

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
It wouldn't do a whole lot, just have people take public trans. for a day or two, and the gas stations wouldn't have as big a profit (not everybody will follow the boycott).

new topics

top topics

join