It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spanking may lower kids' IQs

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Child abuse is wrong.

Spanking an child for a serious offence is not. I cannot tolerate this whole new generation of kids who have no respect for anyone.
This same generation will grow up thinking that no matter what they will do, all they get is a mild slap on the wrist.
No wonder people no longer take responsibility for their own actions. This is the same kind of person who sues his daughter's school because she became pregnant.

Parent are no longer willing to take responsibility and children are unafraid of the consequences.

This is the age where we see 9 year olds killing 7 year olds. That is the result of not enough respect.

My son is 14 and last got a spanking when he was 7. Why? Because he now respects me and listens when I raise my voice ... and he is the most amazing, intelligent, responsible boy - far better than I deserve.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Can't people realise the dramatic rise in crime and immorality has been a direct result of poor discipline and parenting. When your young and you burn yourself for the first time on the stove, candle, whatever, you learn not to touch fire because it hurts. Same thing with a spanking, done right you learn the first time not to do what caused it. I got caught throwing rocks at the neighboors windows when I was young by my dad who snuck up behind me and "knocked" me on the top of my head with his knuckle which hurt soo much I couldn't think straight for 10 minutes. Trust me, lesson learned, never happend again.

Kids who will take an appropriate spanking and laugh it off are the ones to really watch for. There most likely is some kind of overiding mental or bio-chemistry issue going on and should be looked into.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Well grounded or not, kids are kids and susceptible to temptation.

You are going to be SO shocked when you find out the things your kids are/will be doing.

Unless of course... you've raised them under the reward policy. In that event, you've set them up to fail once they get into the real world.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

That is exactly the age that I last had my spanking!!

Thanks, Pseudo-pop-cause-mine's-not-close-by --- I appreciate the stinging sensation of authority!

link   

Originally posted by Veritas Lux Mea
I completely agree, and am glad that there has been a study on this!

Growing up, I was only spanked once or twice -- but my eldest brother got whipped nearly every day of his childhood. Since I was the only girl, I was spared, I suppose.. but I still had to helplessly listen to my big brother getting beat and I could do nothing about it.

Now, as we're older.. he is clearly lacking in IQ and doesn't have very much common sense. I love him the same, but I've always believed that the beating he endured DELAYED him in some way..

And now, a study..

So thank you for posting this!

Star & Flag for your contribution!

- Mea

Yes. The only reason your brother is stupid is because he was physically punished. That is the only, single reason, and if it wasn't for that, he would have cured cancer by now. [/irony]

I'm sorry, I really am, but some people are just not that smart. It's a fact of life. It's how we get averages. And your brother just happens to be one of these people.

link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

I'm sorry. I don't have a clue?

I apologize friend, but you don't know me. I've been raising 4 children, one of which is off at university and they've turned out wonderful, partly because of the reasons I gave above.

Please don't judge me based on your very limited perception of myself or my parenting.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

It's like people are recreating my stories...

Amen.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Consider yourself judged.

You don't know what you're talking about and it is quite obvious. University implies nothing. Do you know the kind of things that take place at universities?

Honestly. This is another thing I've noticed even about my own parents. They seem to be changing their attitudes. It's like they hit middle-age and they all of a sudden begin sort of naive again. What's with that??

University = sex, drugs, rock and roll - oh, but it is such a quaint place really, when you go and see it!!

Yeah. Okay papa.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Veritas Lux Mea
...my father was very intelligent and educated -- yet he still spanked my brother nearly EVERY day.

There will always be exceptions to any rule, but generally speaking I would imagine my theory holds up. The study itself was based on averages as well, to iron out the inevitable exceptions/anomalies.

He was old-school and believed that boys should be toughened up when they acted up.. (something HIS father did to him).

"All things in moderation" is my motto. I think that a balance of physical, social, and other consequences is beneficial in terms of forming children's views of right and wrong. Corporal punishment, as with all forms of punishment, becomes detrimental when excessive in administration. What is harmful to children, IMHO, is the cotton-wool, hyper-protective world we are increasingly trying to create for them. No playing on swings, they might get hurt. No spanking, they might get upset. What we are creating is a generation of over-protected, maladjusted, namby-pambies.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I'm sorry, you were born in 84 was it? Yeah ok.

Secondly, I'm not an idiot, yes my daugher is at University and she probably will have sex (that's implied) probably will meddle with some form of drug and I HOPE she listens to rock and roll.

She needs to live out her youth doesn't she?

Perhaps you have children and think that you've done a better job, maybe not. Then again your opinion really isn't of any importance to me or my family for that matter.

Continue on your high horse my friend. I hope it serves you well.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

First of all, if opinion didn't matter, this story wouldn't have been a topic at all.

Secondly, you're not a good father to be assuming your daughter to be doing all these things and it's completely fine with you. In fact, this just goes to show that you raised her based on the reward system, which is extremely faulty and messes people up for life. Look at the average white collar personality.

Your daughter will be the kind of person who tries to "shh" the kid in the store while he's throwing $&!# around and saying, "NO, I want that NOW" and she'll just be so stressed not knowing what to do because daddy never spanked her when she was bad but gave her whatever she wanted, so how would she know better?

If you think age implies the amount of intelligence or honesty you have, you are wrong.

Kids need to be smacked. If you do not, you doom them or your grand kids. It's a fact.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mathius
any time one human strikes another, nothing good can come of it.

Spanking is violence, and violence should NEVER be a solution.

Nothing good can come from violence you say, but nature is full of violence and shielding your children from that reality can only bring them harm. You people who condemm violence in all its forms are the reason our laws are lax and violent offenders get the chance to become re-offenders. God forbid violent offenders should recieve a punishment equal to they're offense.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Well grounded or not, kids are kids and susceptible to temptation.

You are going to be SO shocked when you find out the things your kids are/will be doing.

Unless of course... you've raised them under the reward policy. In that event, you've set them up to fail once they get into the real world.

Funny thing...in all these years not one single person had written a book on child raising that could withstand the scrutiny applied over the course of just a mere 30 years. Look at Spock. He was THE authority on child raising throughout the 60's, 70's, and 80's. In the 90's he admitted that much of his approach was flawed and wrong, and issued a few corrections.

I would not expect your expert opinion to be much better. While i respect your opinion, and your right to have it, i must say that your apparent arrogance and belief that you are right and others are fools only makes it that much more apparent that you really don't know what you are talking about. The irony of that is that your claims that others don't know what they are talking about when you are in the same position also adds a nice touch of hypocrisy.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Haha, alright there mister.

You go ahead and beat your kids all you want when you have them. That's your decision.

However, don't tell me I am wrong for not following what you deem is appropriate, that just shows a lack of class and civility. Now that sounds familiar doesn't it?

Ohh, wait, deny ignorance is the motto.

In any case, I won't argue the point with you any longer. Obviously you have different views than I do, and that's fine you are entitled to those and I respect your opinions.

Again as for my children, don't make assumptions based on pre-conceived notions and limited information.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

There are some people in this thread who are not fools.

It's not opinion, it is fact. Of course, there is nothing on this planet that can "withstand scrutiny" because opinion is much more highly regarded than fact, and not everyone always agrees on the truth because humans are faulty in the sense that the first reaction is to NOT agree with truth because the truth scares humans, which is why WE SLAP OUR KIDS so that they realize there are consequences to avoiding the truth (and also to add a little kick-start to their brains).

Regardless, I don't need to write a book. In fact, the simple fact that books need to be written on HOW TO HAVE A BABY?!?!? HOW TO TAKE CARE OF A BABY!?!?!? HOW TO RAISE A CHILD?!?!?!? is Stupid.

Animals can't read and they do it every day. We must be INCREDIBLY stupid.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

i can see this thread getting heavily moderated, as the potential for personal criticism is already running rampant.

I'm sure we can all agree that every child is different, and every parent is different, based on how they were raised. So anything that a person believes in will generally stem from how their parents did their job, and so on.

Once again on this subject there is no black and white there is no right or wrong. I happen to believe that violence is not an answer; but that doesn't mean I won't grab my kid forcefully by the arm, hold them at the shoulders and scold them with an intense look, harsh words, and mannerisms that show my displeasure.

But I also believe that once you start to threaten your child with violence, ie. spanking, and then actually follow through with it... you are scarring the child for LIFE. you are showing them that violence is a solution. which is an extremely damaging message... and can lead to "bigger, badder" things.

We live in a violent society, and this has all stemmed from our violent nature. I firmly believe that we need to supress these violent tendencies that have been burned into our souls.

Think about it: if every parent in the entire world, from the dawn of human kind, had NEVER hit their child, don't you think the world would be a much less violent place? Kind of a silly question, I know.

but i shall state once again: VIOLENCE is not a solution.

[edit on 25-9-2009 by Mathius]

[edit on 25-9-2009 by Mathius]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Funny how other animals don't spank their kids though huh?

Interesting little thought people don't think about. I guess the other animals know a secret we don't.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I'm not much for class and civility. I'm more about honesty and self-sufficiency and strength and respect for my elders. If everyone respected their elders and elders respected their own elders and so forth, then all the kids that have proceeded from said elders since the beginning of humanity would be getting along (not necessarily agreeing) because everyone had respect for their elder.

But, alas, there is war. And war is not caused by slapping your kid when they're being retarded. War is caused by not slapping your kid and they go and screw with someone else because they don't know what they're getting into and then THAT person has a bone to pick with the idiot who screwed up.

Are you really that damaged? What, did you always say to yourself, "I will never hit my kids like my mom/dad did! Never!! I won't do it! You'll see. They'll love and respect me. I'll give them everything they want!! My parents suck! They never gave me anything and all they did was hit me! Why why why! Me Me Me!"

The selfish personality grows up to think like this and goes on to procreate and well, Ooops.

A child can coax a child into adulthood for a short period of time, but it takes a parent to force a child to become self-sufficient and intelligent.

And by the way, your statement earlier about SHOWING the kid what is right instead of hitting them... YEAH! You had three year olds? You wouldn't know it! First, you smack the kid. THEN, you show them how to do it once you get them focusing. Then you tell them to stop always asking how to do things and try to figure it out for themselves. And then you get them to read and learn and you train them in the best ways you can but you make sure that they are able to have self-discipline as well.

And yes, all people make mistakes, but atleast the mistakes made by good and honest people are rarely and probably never intended to hurt anyone or be incredibly deceptive.

Of course, if you're the kind of person who doesn't want your kid to have boundaries, they have no reason to lie to YOU or hurt YOU -- but they sure as hell know they can get away with it towards other people that don't matter to them. Other people never gave them all the things that momma/daddy got me, so they are all the bad people!

I could go on and on. The fact is, humans are not honest with themselves and NEED a brain slap and discipline.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
What if kids with lower IQ's are just more likely to do stupid things and not listen to their parents, thus getting spanked more often?

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Mathius

You're wrong.

How do you like that?

There is black and white and there are good and bad people.

Let's "deny ignorance" and not tolerate lies.

And as far as personal attacks go, if people are getting so offended, then do you believe in what you are saying? I certainly haven't felt offended by opposition. I wonder if that is a sign...

If you parents are so offended because you're afraid to look at someone spouting your very own mistakes, don't worry. We all make mistakes. That's not the point. The point is to be HONEST with yourself about those mistakes and not re-create them.

I am not attacking people and saying people are bad. I am saying that the human condition is that of Lies and Deception. Lies and Deception may be able to re-create civility, but it is not honest civility and this government and this world is becoming more screwed up -- It is NOT improving, and I daresay that the ROOT cause of this is because parents are failing to raise their kids properly due to selfishness and laziness!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join