It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATT Atheist: The Sky is blue and the Grass is green?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Jesus is my God, but thats a whole other discussion. It is completely my choice. All choices have negative or positive consequences, some just less sever than others. People need to get away from all preconceived notions about what the bible says and read it for themselves. Most pastoral teachings are not biblical. They take what they want and leave out what they don't like to manipulate the masses. I do not put my faith in the word of man but in the bible.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Better Mouse Trap
Did you know that those two colors are the most pleasing to the eye?

This is by "design," not some random BS
Some "advanced" being was being "thoughtful" by gracing us with this anomaly, so why are you STILL an atheist?

[edit on 25-9-2009 by Better Mouse Trap]

Like ancient people, you are fixated on something akin to the idea that the solar system revolves around the Earth. Your belief is effectively that the Earth revolves around humanity; that is, the Earth was created to please humanity as opposed to humanity adapting to the Earth.

What you fail to realize is that blue and green are subjective interpretations. For example, birds see much more detail than we are capable of seeing. Their sight is more detailed, they see a broader range of colors, including florescent rays. They see colors we don't see. On some species, the florescent color spots aid the birds to visually differentiate between the sexes. Compared to birds, we might as well all be red-green color blind.

If God actually existed, he could be sued under Strict Products Liability for making a defective product that gets cancer and offers insufficient protection against deadly diseases.

Please write "Because God said so on your exams at school." That would be hilarious.

Why the sky is blue?
The earth has a protective blanket of gases, water and dust called an atmosphere. The blue color of the sky is a result of sunlight passing through and interacting with the atmosphere. If you look at sunlight through a prism, you will find that "white" sunlight is actually composed of a rainbow of colors.

As sunlight passes through the atmosphere, the atmosphere selectively filters blue light using a process called scattering. Selective scattering (preferential scattering of one color of light over other colors) occurs when light scatters off particles that are much smaller than the wavelengths of the colors. In the case of our primarily nitrogen filled atmosphere, the shorter wavelengths (blue) are scattered much more strongly than the longer wavelengths (red). Thus, as sunlight passes through our atmosphere, blue light is preferentially scattered, and becomes visible to the eye.

Why are so many plants green?
Plants are green because they have a substance called chlorophyll in them. Understanding why chlorophyll is green requires a little biology, chemistry and physics. If we shine white light on chlorophyll, its molecules will absorb certain colors of light. The light that isn’t absorbed is reflected, which is what our eyes see.

A red apple appears red because the molecule of pigment in the apple’s skin absorbs blue light, not red. Thus, we see red. Chlorophyll molecules absorb blue light and some red light. The other colors are reflected resulting in the green color that we associate with plants.

Plants get their energy to grow through a process called photosynthesis. Large numbers of chlorophyll molecules acts as the antenna that actually harvest sunlight and start to convert it in to a useful form. Here’s where the absorbent properties of the chlorophyll molecule come into play.

It turns out that eons of evolutionary design have matched the absorbance of chlorophyll to the actual color of the sunlight that reaches the leaves. Sunlight consists of primarily blue and red light mixed together, which are exactly the colors that chlorophyll molecules like to absorb. Light is a form of energy, so the chlorophyll is able to harvest the sunlight with little waste.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by andrewh7]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
We all have lungs, too.

Surely if this was all by random chance, humans wouldn't have something as complex as lungs, and we'd all die of suffocation.

*FACE PALM*

Evolution isn't random chance. Those who are more successful in an environment live to reproduce and pass on their genes. The first animals to walk on land has serious advantages because the new environment lacked any natural predators. The only exception is natural disasters like asteroid strikes that cause mass extinctions and open up new niches for the survivors to fill.

Eyes began as light sensitive patches of skin, then something that could detect motion, and finally something that can distinguish colors. Many species stopped at one of these levels because their environment offered no significant advantage to those who saw better.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by andrewh7]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
I think it was christopher hitchens elementary school teacher, who told him that the grass was green because it was most appealing to the eye, and could he dare imagine it being purple!

Ah yes -that is a great book.

images-eu.amazon.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Better Mouse Trap
Did you know that those two colors are the most pleasing to the eye?

This is by "design," not some random BS
Some "advanced" being was being "thoughtful" by gracing us with this anomaly, so why are you STILL an atheist?

Blue and green are pretty... so God exists?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Ok but what if what I call blue is actually purple in your eyes, and what I call green is actually orange in your eyes, but we call them different names. So your orange is my green.. Now there's a problem because we're calling grass green and saying it's pleasant to the eyes, but when I see green I see what you call orange and it's not as pleasing as what you call green.

I just debunked your theory

Holla back!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Is it a debate you want or just a pissing contest with athiests? I thought this kind of thing was frowned upon here. I'm happy for you that your happy in your faith. But why the thinly veiled bash against non-believers. Live and let live.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

The sky is blue because of a phenomen called Raleigh scattering, where the shorter wave blue light, is absorbed by the gases in the atmosphere, while the longer wave lights (eg rer, orange, etc) is reflected back into space. Grass is green due to the content of chlorophyl in its leaves.

I am sure the OP knows about this. They sky and the grass reflect or refract specific wavelengths.

I am guessing what he meant is why do we see the colors as we see them and why are some pleasing than others.

A computer can detect the wavelengths of the light, but it does not "see" the colors.

But I do agree with you. Just because we see beauty in nature doesn't mean there is a god.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Exodus 32:27 And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.

Exodus 32:28 And the children of Levi did according to the word of Moses: and there fell of the people that day about three thousand men.

Your Just, Perfect, Loving, and Forgiving god, ordered the death of 3000 people. This is just ONE verse of MANY verses like it. Seriously....

I actually tried to show a christian verses like this and they replied with, "Well, I don't know, but I think God was angry in the old testament, but now he's loving because he sent his Son to die for us, and I know I'm saved."

To each his own I suppose.......

[edit on 30-9-2009 by doped00]

[edit on 30-9-2009 by doped00]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Better Mouse Trap

To the OP. You are very likely wrong in assuming that the sky and grass was made to please our eyes.

Ever see the Truman show? He lived his life in an artificial environment that was free of crime and whatnot. The sun rose instantly in the mornings. But it was all natural to him because he didn't know any different.

Same with us. Something we have known since birth such as the sky being blue on a sunny day or the grass being green in the spring is pleasing to us because we have known it since birth.

I was hardcore gothic during my high school years. I wore black all the time. The color black became a very comforting color to me and continues to be to this day.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join