It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sub Conscienceness becomes Conscienceness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I have had a dream where my sub conscience (at least I think it was that) was in control of my visual perception of the world.

Take a few examples from my dream. A young boy I met, apparently he too was having the same effects as me, was in fact an older gentleman. He died as soon as he became 'aware' so to speak.

Another one was it was like living in a world where not your greatest dreams come true but how your mind would perceive it if our understanding of the world was blocked and our sub conscience was viewing it.

In the dream I had to save a woman, who again, was having the same effects, but as the dream went on, I started becoming aware and noticing this young beautiful woman was in fact older. I had to deal with the fact I fell in love with the younger version that I was envisioning to the older version that was reality.

Not really a lot to work on there sorry, cause Im still trying to iron out what exactly took place from my sketchy notes.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
If you've recently read up on material explaining how your brain works, it's possible that it has influenced your dream. Generally though, you subconscious mind isn't like your conscious mind. It's an interplay of various cognitive functions interacting and reacting to each other as well as sensory stimuli. The disconnect between "I" and all the sub processes going on underneath which make up the "I" you perceive is the difference between conscious and subconscious. It couldn't really come alive or display it's own personality distinct or separate from your own.

However, the brain is initially homologous and symmetrical between the left and right hemisphere - and specializes into Left Brain/Right Brain specific tasks through development and post-birth experiences. If you sever the corpus callosum (the structure connecting the two hemispheres), you can see two similar (though distinct) identities emerge (split brain disorder). They're the same person, and "YOU" can't really tell the difference, but by interviewing each side (by blocking sensory input of the other) some startling differences can emerge.

In some extreme cases, I recall hearing of individuals who's left hand will try to take off their pants - while the right hand will try to pull them up. Or one of a man who, when arguing with his wife, had to restrain his right hand with his left hand to keep from attacking her.

But since pretty much all cognitive faculties seated in the brain's hemispheres are symmetrical (though specialized), each side would appear to be their own consciousness... subject then, to their own subconscious.

Here's a link to some games and experiments you can do yourself which demonstrate left/right brain aptitudes.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I appreciate the comments and response. I will check out that link.

I guess the thought of being able to perceive the world to maybe idealistic perceptions rather than what we consider to be real perceptions is what the dream was about.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
In my experience conciousness or awareness is just PR for the sub-conscious.

You think YOU make all the key decsions you do in life such as which girlfriend/boyfriend or which career etc.

In fact YOU DO NOT make these decisions, your conciousness just PR's it to you that way.

Most such decisions are made out back in the toolshed of the sub-conscious, you just believe you make such decisions yourself which couldnt be further from the actual truth of the matter.

I dont find conscious or sub-conscious is a very accurate way of describing MIND and how it works, but will have to do for this thread.

Once your "toolshed" has recommended the appropriate actions and you have blindly implemented, then the rest of you is controlled and influenced on a bio-chemical level via glands and hormonal manipulation to "feel" and or "mentally" experience/project frequencies of love, anger, fear in direct relation to physical input/output etc.

Dont for one minute believe you are carrying out your own freewill - thats like calling the Windows software on your computer the actual computer operator (for the record, in human terms, Windows (mind layer) was hacked, partitoned and compressed eons ago)

As a case in point, how many of you fell in love with the most wonderful gal/guy in the world, believing SHE/HE is "THE ONE"?

Only then to find out that once the 6-12 month chemically induced phase of "I am in love, blind with it and she can do no wrong" is over that>>>>>>TADAAAAAAAA you had married someone eerily like your own MOTHER"???

Thanks

Bravo

[edit on 25-9-2009 by Bravo111]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Bravo111

Yeah I know its not how the brain works, it was just the best description I could think of involving the dream.

It was a total disconnect. In the dream, I transitioned from one state to the other seamlessly. The fight back to 'conscientiousness' was the battle. It was like I had a war raging in my head to understand reality once more.

In my dream, I didn't want to give up the state I was in. I remember in the dream as I was fighting to 'come back', there were flashes of reality of the place I was in and it was completely different from where I was. Like say in the state of visually perceiving my surroundings it was clean, quiet, near perfect I suppose but as I was fighting my way back to regain control of my sensory perception, I would get glimpses of the fact I was in a dirty, dingy, highly mechanical place that is still a bit foggy in my mind.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Bravo111

In fact YOU DO NOT make these decisions, your conciousness just PR's it to you that way.

Were that the case, then why would you need a consciousness to begin with? If we're completely at the mercy of our sub-conscious, it would serve no point. I mean, it's circular logic. Your consciousness is only there to justify to the consciousness the actions of other systems it cannot detect or influence? Otherwise, you would have to presuppose an additional observer whom are both just along for the ride, but convincing each other they're in control.

In terms of a simple demonstration - recite the alphabet out loud. A to Z. Easy huh? Now do it again, but this time, only say every other letter. That's the difference between unconsciously drawing straight memory in well established neural paths, and pulling it up into your mental palate for purposeful manipulation.

The conscious mind is the top layer of interaction among the various specialized brain regions. The "abstract" mental construct which takes in sensory input and ideas, manipulates them, as well as directs the body. It's responsible for short and long term planning, as well as a measure of selective memory recall for the construction of mental models - be it testing an idea in your head or constructing a sentience to convey ideas. While an idea may just "come to you", you can also "think" about it to pull specific data from memory to apply to your mental models. This wouldn't be possible if the consciousness was just along for the ride to provide passive commentary while the subconscious drove the body.

While the conscious mind is constructed entirely from the interplay of various subconscious cognitive faculties, and as a top layer of these interactions it can (to various degrees) both affect and be affected by the sub-conscious. On the one hand, you have instances such as the delay of gratification - the managing of desire against the anticipation and prediction of greater reward later as an abstract concept. On the other hand, you have instances of "uncontrollable urges" despite promises of greater reward for abstinence or threat of punishment. This is the difference between a "Crime of Passion" being forgivable, and a pre-meditated crime being given extra punishment.

In a simple (though purposfully flawed) analogy; it's similar to the rider and a horse traveling a familiar path. The rider provides the choice in direction, but isn't always necessarily in control. The horse may be in total control, but is managed and bends to the will of the rider in most instances. However the flaw is in recognition of separation of "Horse" and "Rider". In truth, the conscious mind and the subconscious mind are one in the same. The reason why it appears to be separate is, perhaps, due to information overload. Our mental abstracts simply aren't capable of accommodating that much information, so only the most relevant information to constructing specific types of relevant mental models are recognized. Among the many other tasks we're unaware of, we don't notice the pattern recognition processes our brains preform in order to recognize a face. (See: Margret Thatcher illusion), yet we can engage in conscious pattern searches OF someone's facial expression - such as paying attention for slight tells in a poker face in order to identify a bluff.

So perhaps consciousness may be a mere illusion of memory and pattern recognition; noticing how our thoughts and our bodies seemingly move according to our perceived will. Or perhaps it is a result of "noise filtering" of information irrelevant to those mental models too prevent. Or perhaps both. Consciousness is a tricky subject, which hasn't really been properly explained yet. Although, it is clear that consciousness is not some separate phenomena seated in some unique brain region - that the only difference between Conscious and Subconscious is awareness - and that free will is an illusion - although I would argue that the loss of free will is moot, because while we can make mental models and predictions of behavior in response to certain stimuli, we cannot even begin to conceptualize all of the factors needed for a perfect prediction. There will always be a degree of error, and we can always be wrong. Married men should be well used to this concept by now. Thus, free will remains a useful tool for social interaction.

(for the record, in human terms, Windows (mind layer) was hacked, partitoned and compressed eons ago)

What is this supposed to mean?

[edit on 25-9-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

Thats a good example Lasheic

What a fascinating insight into the workings of the Hemispheres .

I heard a neurologist describe a split brain patient with one hemisphere (so to speak)stating they were a theist , the other an atheist . Leading the Professor to ask does one hemisphere go to heaven , the other to hell ?

We still have all the `old wiring` in our heads with the recent additions wrapped about it .
Bubbles breaching the surface of awareness , where `we` are the last to know about it but are eager to take credit for all our drives & urges whispered by our subconscious .

I suppose we are still that primitive animal in the deeps of our mind , often at odds with what we`ve become .

please forgive my shoddy over simplifications .

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

I'm certainly pretty far away from neurology and such. But I have a bit of a theory on left brain vs right brain.

From what I've read and heard, the left brain is the more logical/practical side, where as the right brain is more creative/spiritual side.

When we are going about our daily lives and such, we mostly rely on our left brain. Picking up a phone and making a phone call is a left brain function.

I wonder if it's a matter of what people are using to fill their left brain. Now if you look out at the world, you get a total atheist point of view. The way the world appears and such suggests atheism, and so forth.

And what you mentioned seems to back this theory of mine off. The left side of that patient was atheist, but the right side was theist. If they are split then we know the only thing feeding that left brain is the outside world itself - the right brain is not communicating with it. They can not imagine a god or such, which is function of the right brain.

So in this manner, the theist/spirtual/creative person which has both side communicating is filling their left brain through the right brain. And so the atheist is mostly filling their left brain from the external world, and rejects their right brain a good bit.

I'm not an expert in anyway on this field etc. But I've looked into a little bit and this is what it seems to be suggesting to me. I could be way off base however.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

I think you would enjoy this video. I`d even go so far as to say you will probably watch the whole series of videos . It touches on your subject of interest at the 1:30 mark.
I`m like yourself , fascinated by the subject and i find the thoughts of neurologist V.S. Ramachandran most enlightening . I can imagine he was a fantastic lecturer in his day.

From a BBC series : Phantoms In The Brain .

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Check this video out…

It offers some very interesting ideas, on right and left brain hemispheres.

- JC

new topics

top topics

join