It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a problem with my car, any suggestions what it might be?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Recently I have been driving far distances back and forth across the country. Recently I can't accelerate past 60KM so my car is basically crap right now. Im getting it checked in 3 days becasue the mechanic is full. What do you think is the problem. Thats all the information I can give. Transmission, engine???

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
You can enter your car make/model into Google along with the tag "problems" and links will typically pop up that can direct you to common issues and suggested solutions.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Could be something as simple as a clogged fuel filter. But could easily be something less wallet-friendly.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Sounds like a transmission problem, but like Kosmicjack said- google it.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Fuel Pump.

My mustang would not go over 70, I thought that it was haunted.

Changed out the fuel pump and it did an easy 120.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Could be clogged fuel filter not allowing your engine to get enough fuel.

It also could be a vacuum leak that is not allowing your transmission to shift into high if you have an automatic transmission.

The indication of a fuel filter is your statement of excessive long distance freeway driving.

If you purchase gas at a station near a freeway you can get dirty fuel.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
What kind of car is it? Is it making any weird noises? Does it fall flat on its face at full throttle? Are there any weird noises coming from the engine bay?

If I would have to take my best guess I would say transmission. Example, if you were driving at 60km and tried to accelerate and the RPM's kept climbing higher and higher, I would have to say clutches in the transmission are starting to burn up. If the car falls flat on its face and will not generate anymore power I would say that this could be a fuel deliver issue.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Nah it found out it was the catalytic converter. It was clogged up so it wouldn't make the car accelerate. Set me back $1000 :bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Recently I have been driving far distances back and forth across the country. Recently I can't accelerate past 60KM so my car is basically crap right now. Im getting it checked in 3 days becasue the mechanic is full. What do you think is the problem. Thats all the information I can give. Transmission, engine???

Could the air filter be dirty?

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Nah it found out it was the catalytic converter. It was clogged up so it wouldn't make the car accelerate. Set me back $1000 :bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

I was going to say the catalytic converter.

But I didn't.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Yhea I've heard they have some exotic metals in those things.... Hang on a second...

Due to the external location and the use of valuable precious metals including platinum, palladium, and rhodium, converters are a target for thieves. The problem is especially common among late-model Toyota trucks and SUVs, due to their high ground clearance and easily-removed bolt-on catalytic converters. Welded-in converters are also at risk of theft from SUVs and trucks, as they can be easily removed with a battery powered reciprocating saw.[15][16] The saw removal of the converter can often inadvertently damage the car’s wiring or fuel line resulting in dangerous consequences. Rises in metal costs inside the United States during recent years have led to a large increase in theft incidents of the converter,[17] which can then cost as much as $1000 to replace.[18]

Well that's interesting, I've never heard of them being a target for thieves... I guess your mechanic can also get some money for a scraped one? - That's some pricey metal in there, I wonder in what sort of quantities? - And it's my understanding that they are there for a chemical reaction, So presumably that can be reversed? Or would a thief only go for brand new ones?

Hope yours is fixed on real well! - A clip on one could be asking for you to be left in the middle of no where minus a cat converter.

top topics

join