It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cave reveled after Georgia flood, should I....

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Good luck be sure to take a rope and make sure you've got plenty of light and a number of people. I'd be in there in a heartbeat, given water and weather permitting. Seems reasonable to wait for the weather to pass though to be as safe as possible. Good luck and hope you take pictures and BE SAFE!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Speaking as someone with years of caving experience behind them, the people actually suggesting the OP explore it are, quite frankly, out of their freaking minds.

OP, that cave is deadly and i suggest you stay away. Bottom of the lake for years? It is likely full of some very toxic gasses and very little oxygen. It has likely been eroded in a million places and is highly unstable. There are a million other things I could list.

Go a. if you want to die, but no caver in his right mind would go in there until it has been on the surface for years, and even then not without a team backing him up to make sure he doesn't die in the attempt.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I just wanted to add, that if it was just uncovered, it will not be safe for some years to go into it. If the area was roped off it is not because TPB don’t want you to know what is inside, it is more than likely because they know it is unstable.

If you are really that interested in the cave and want to explore it, remote drones with cameras are your friend.

When I talk remote, I am talking about drones with long cords not attached, because radio signal remote drones would more than likely lose their signal in the cave, however corded drones, you are only limited by length of cord and maneuverability of your drone.

If you go with the drone you will want a good strong rope to be attached to it as well as the wires, you do not want to be pulling the drone back out of the cave by wires if for some reason it dies on you because even though a cable might look strong, you can break the wires inside the cable by pulling on it.

With this type of viewing, you will not be putting your life at risk, but the equipment can be expensive unless you build it yourself.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Reply to post by Better Mouse Trap

Your best bet is to contact the national spelogical society. DON'T go down there if you don't know what you are doing.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
dont do it, you will likely die. like others have said there can be toxic gases.

huge drops, and the like. there is porbably a society to report it too. if they explore it , ask to come along once they are familiar with it, and sure it is stable.

you might even need scuba gear/rebreathers to fully explore.

also it could be an entrance to where the reptillians live, then you will never get back out.

[edit on 26-9-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Caution, the careful advice is right on. Bad air, drops (or pits) are very common in your area. Cave accidents are the hardest types to be rescued from. A simple broken/sprained leg could easily be a fatality. Water sumps, rain from another area also lend to trap even experienced spelunkers.

My advice, oder some "cave accident" report books from NSS National Spelunkers Society(may be different name now). Join a local Grotto, you can find through google. Buy good equipment, amnd go with experienced group.

Most caves are 55 degrees, you need proper clothing, helment, 3 light sources, rope, waiste harness, repelling equipment, accending equip., most likely a wet suit (to guard against hyperthumia), AND EXPERIENCE!!!

Caving is a blast! But please heed my advice and join a grotto first!

[edit on 26-9-2009 by Ikema]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

To add to that, take a good quality camera. You never know if you run into those pesky gnomes or find the lost gold of the templars

I was a pack mule for a photographer. We got some really great photos. Cave photography allows a lot of artistic license. We would set up a camera on a tripod and then do multiple flashes all over the chamber or one of the really neat effects is to use an old carbide lamb to "paint" the scene. It gives you some really rich reds and yellows. My Nikon still has a crispy edge where I singed it with my carbide light.

Caves are tough on cameras. We packed them in water tight army ammo boxes along with a lot of flash equipment.

The guy I was pack mule for in college ended up as a professional photographer. I have photos from all over. Mexico, Jamaica, France, England, Germany, Canada as well as here in the US.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
BMT, if in fact you decide to explore this cave, here are a few tips for you:

- Bring a flashlight. It's hard to see in the dark.

- Wear shoes of some sort.

- Don't bring any water, it will just weigh you down. Instead...

- Bring a single piece of bread. Break it up into crumbs and leave a trail behind you so that you can find your way back out. Fool-proof.

- Don't be afraid to take risks, including tight fits and long drops. All of history's great explorers took risks.

- Rope is for sissies. In fact, all spelunking equipment is for sissies. Do it like our ancient caveman ancestors did it. That's all for now, good luck.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by greatpiino

thats terrible advice. why would you say that to a fellow atser?

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

If you don't understand the intention of the post, then the post is not for you.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by greatpiino

May i add to that exceptional list one thing~a big hungry cat incase a pesky rat happens across that nearly foolproof bread trail idea.

P.S. DO NOT under any circumstances even think about reading TEDS CAVE,before,during or even after your exploration.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
no way in hell would i ever be the one to say don't go. i will say this, it
looks to me like you better damn well be careful and not take any chances boy. that said . holy cricke that looks like fun.

oh hey that's right, someone in georgia last week was talking about fumes rising up from the ground .i guess i am going to say it. you might not want to go in their stud. fumes could over come you in seconds now that i think of it . you stay safe cause im starting to give myself the creeps,

If you don't understand the intention of the post, then the post is not for you.
i think i understand it. kinda like that holy bartender joke.

ok! i got one.

what did the red neck say just before he died?

[edit on 27-9-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

Speaking as someone with years of caving experience behind them, the people actually suggesting the OP explore it are, quite frankly, out of their freaking minds
lmao. no feces man you want to die like some dummy? go right a., just don't take anyone with you fool, do it on your own. shows you how a lack of knowledge adds up to stupid. it's not like your going to find el dorado or anything,

watch this!!!

[edit on 27-9-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Too me it looks like it might be a wash out hole and less of a cave. I would wait at least untill spring when it has dried out some. It really looks like it could collapse without much provocation. Wait a few months (at least) and then follow the advice of the pros here.

Personally I would wait at least a year before trying it out.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I would do reasearch to see if it was intentionally gug, if you find out its new be careful with your exploring for it may not be structurally sound and you dont want to be a permanent visitor in there. Good luck

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
**spoiler alert***
nothing good will happen in a cave

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Here's some folks to contact:

www.georgiaoutdoors.com...
Caving Organization Information For Georgia

Athens Speleological Society
c/o Don Hunter
157 Madison Oaks Dr
Colbert, GA 30628
Cave Country Gazette

Augusta Cave Masters
c/o William Jackson [E-mail: wjackson44@home.com]
4784 Silver Lake Dr
Evans, GA 30809

Clayton County Cavers Grotto
c/o Jeff Sorensen
2053 Cezar Drive
Kennesaw, GA 30152-3109
Monthly Breakdown

Clock Tower Grotto
c/o Kenneth Martin [E-mail: clocktowergrotto@yahoo.com]
6 Verbena Dr.
Rome, GA 30165

Dogwood City Grotto, Inc.
c/o Ricky Rawlins [E-mail: dcgnss@hotmail.com]
3232 Cobb Parkway - Suite 264
Atlanta, GA 30339
Georgia Underground

Lost Mountain Cavers
[E-mail: ericmelissa@pipeline.com]
1372 Ormewood Avenue
Atlanta, GA 30316-3811

Middle Georgia Grotto
c/o Tom Moltz
101 Old Hickory Rd
Byron, Ga 31008
Cave Talk

Pigeon Mountain Grotto
[E-mail: pigeonmountaingrotto@alltel.net]
P.O. Box 7
Rock Spring, GA 30739
Pigeon Mountain Grotto News

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

You forgot GOLD!! I have recurring dreams about going in a cave that opens up at the base of a large tree. Have a great adventure!

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by greatpiino
BMT, if in fact you decide to explore this cave, here are a few tips for you:

- Bring a flashlight. It's hard to see in the dark.

- Wear shoes of some sort.

- Don't bring any water, it will just weigh you down. Instead...

- Bring a single piece of bread. Break it up into crumbs and leave a trail behind you so that you can find your way back out. Fool-proof.

- Don't be afraid to take risks, including tight fits and long drops. All of history's great explorers took risks.

- Rope is for sissies. In fact, all spelunking equipment is for sissies. Do it like our ancient caveman ancestors did it. That's all for now, good luck.

Best damn post in this thread.

Seriously, OP, don't do it.

You will die a dark and horrible death if you go down there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join