Excalibur, is it real?

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I know the legendary story of king Arthur was based on true events.

In the popular romances, as King Arthur lies dying he orders one of his knights to cast his sword Excalibur into an enchanted lake. After twice disobeying the wishes of his king, the knight reluctantly consents. When the sword is thrown, the arm of a mysterious water nymph - the Lady of the Lake - rises from the surface, catches the weapon and takes it down into the watery depths.

Humdrum Source

I'm not saying this is exactly how it went down, but could this story be based on a true historical event?

I did find a story about a Tuscan Excalibur but I'm not sure if it is even close to the same.

Tuscany's Excalibur is the real thing, say scientists

The sword of St Galgano, said to have been plunged into a rock by a medieval Tuscan knight, has been authenticated, bolstering Italy's version of the Excalibur legend.

Galgano Guidotti, a noble from Chiusdano, near Siena, allegedly split the stone with his sword in 1180 after renouncing war to become a hermit. For centuries the sword was assumed to be a fake. but research revealed last week has dated its metal to the twelfth century.

Only the hilt, wooden grip and a few inches of the 3ft blade poke from the hill, which still draws pilgrims and tourists to the ruins of the chapel built around it.

'Dating metal is a very difficult task, but we can say that the composition of the metal and the style are compatible with the era of the legend,' said Luigi Garlaschelli, of the University of Pavia. 'We have succeeded in refuting those who maintain that it is a recent fake.'

Source

I don't think this could be the true Excalibur of legend.... do you?

I haven't really been able to find much information re: the actual Arthurian legend.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I hate to be the pee in someones oatmeal, but. . .

The legend is an analogy of creating metal.
Sword from stone? Iron, from iron ore.

Whomever can do that will be king. The legend rose during the time of Romes retreat from the British Isles, plunging them back to the dark ages. And anyone who could recreate the process for refining metals, would become the replacement for the roman empire.

Juuuust my humble opinion. . .

next? The secrets behind santa clause and the easter bunny. Later, I'm planning on divulging the real secrets of the illuminatti, hint? They use unsalted butter.

new topics

join