It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We're here! We're queer! We're 13!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

We're here! We're queer! We're 13!

www.salon.com

According to recent studies, most kids don’t self-identify as gay or bisexual until 14, 15, or 16, but the mean age at which they become aware of their orientation is 10 (boys tend, on average, to know a year earlier than girls). And some of these kids are coming out to their families and friends and living lives that “would have been nearly incomprehensible to earlier generations of gay youth,”

And it suggests that gay and straight adults of the previous generation – by pushing for civil ri
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Let me apologize in advance... but this is very disturbing to me.
I mean I grew up in a rough neighbourhood so naturally I can't be used to this.
And to be honest, i'm extremely glad i'm not used to it and sorry, but i'll make sure my kids aren't either.

These parents of these kids are on my wall of shame as far as i'm concerned.
If parents of heterosexual kids don't want their teenage kids thinking of sex then how is it okay if the kids....... walk on the other side of the street?

Shoot, me I don't even want my kids thinking of pre-marital sex as far as i'm concerened(ya good luck to me on that ya I know), but whether i'm successful or not I MUST at least attempt parenthood.

What is happening to our society is we are unable to be honest with ourselves and society itself.
We are so being pushed into being politically correct that we no longer can label wrong things as being wrong.

Being politically correct does not make you intelligent, a good person or a good parent.

www.salon.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
So if it was your kid, you'd tell him/her that they were wrong for feeling that way?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

What is happening to our society is we are unable to be honest with ourselves and society itself.

A fair generalization...and it would also seem to be a fair generalization of your opinion.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus
So if it was your kid, you'd tell him/her that they were wrong for feeling that way?

Well you misunderstood what I meant by wrong in my opening post.
I meant these horrible parents are okay with their kids thinking of hetero/homo sexual relationships in a way too young age.

But if you really want an answer out of me...If I can rephrase your question

"So if it was your kid you would be honest with him and say tell him that this path is anti-procreation, makes the whole reproductive system useless and wouldn't allow him to have a family as I did"

Ummm.. yes I would be honest with him, of course.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Most gay people i know said they knew from a very young age.Im guessing now that being homosexual is accepted more they are having the courage to be honest with themselves,friends and family.Then again it is awfully young to know for sure...but then again when i was 13/14 i most definitely knew what i liked and wanted!

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I really couldn't care less, most people my age couldn't care less, and I'm personally very glad of this. It means that by the time my generation has kids, the last of this Neo-victorian "We don't talk about procreation, it's wrong" nonsense will have been washed out of society.

I would far rather my kids know about sex before they know about killing people, but they'll likely discover both at about the same time and there is not a damn thing I can do about it, because both are natural to the human species.

I've never understood the dedication some of you have to closeting away an act of nature like it is going to destroy a persons mind as soon as they know about it. "OH MY GOD, THIS IS WHERE I CAME FROM?? I AM TOTALLY CORRUPT NOW! MY LIFE, IT IS OVER, I CAN NEVER GO BACK." It's almost perverse, really.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by D.E.M.]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I agree with you. And if my kid did come up to me and state that he was gay, I'd let him know of the social repercussions that come with it.

Nature vs nuture argument coming. . . .

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

I meant these horrible parents are okay with their kids thinking of hetero/homo sexual relationships in a way too young age.

"So if it was your kid you would be honest with him and say tell him that this path is anti-procreation, makes the whole reproductive system useless and wouldn't allow him to have a family as I did"

Then why is the post about gay youths "coming out"? Why didn't you post about youth in general thinking of sexual relationships too early? Your hole, it's getting deep.

If you never thought about sexual relationships when you were 13, 14, 15; you're far more screwed up than the way you're portraying these kids.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

Honestly, when I was 12-14 all I thought of were books
I was always at the library reading biochemistry, anatomy, religion, history, physics, aviation, even issues of psychology today.

I'd love for my kids to have the same experience as I did and love reading and knowledge as much as I did and still do.

Even a flower needs to blossom first before a bee comes for nectar.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

A lot of the gay guys I've talked to, knew at that age, but they didn't "come out" until later.

Should they come out at 13? Well that's up to them.

11 or 12.. that's when I became interested in girls. So it makes sense.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
okay let me get this straight. Thinking about sex is bad. Thinking about gay sex is worse. Got it. We are born sexual beings. We can't avoid it. I know my three your old son enjoys checking out his equipment. Why not just title your thread 'I HATE HOMOS'. And we can take it from there.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

You wouldn't really need to let them know about it.

What you should do is teach them to fight well, so that they can handle the ignorant kids that want to pick their easy target.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

I have to agree with you here.....to me the problem isn't that teenagers are thinking about whether they're gay or straight, but that they are thinking about sexuality at all at that age. I know....hormones play a huge part of it, but it still disturbs me the way that late childhood and very early adult hood have become sexualised since I was there.

Gay or straight is not the issue here, and it's unacceptable to say that young things who feel that they are gay should be told differently. Stuff happens, hormones happen, it's they way we are....but to label one set of experiences as wrong is sliding backwards, and more damaging than the OP realises.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

With full realization that I am admitting to being bigotted by today's standards, yes, I would tell them they were wrong and I would seek help for them. I'm sorry, but we have centuries of mental health professionals who classified homosexuality as a mental disorder. Simply because politics got involved in the last several decades and forced that classification to be changed doesn't mean it is based on any defensible science.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I think we shoud ban homosexuality, just like we ban other unhealthy lifestyle choices like smoking or drug use. It would be good for society and lower the healthcare burden on society.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

As is usually the case, you are seeing this through purely sexual eyes.

Kids don't think of things in this way, but you are tainted by immediate connotations of "gay" = "sex", and you're wrong.

These kids are identifying with feeling an attraction to kids of the same gender, they're not out cruising for guys.

Adults need to get their heads out of the gutter to understand these kids.

And, BTW, I really feel sorry for your kids if you have such a limited understanding of them.
I mean, come on, this is basic stuff, you can't even see the difference between a kid knowing they are gay and a kid actually being sexually active and gay?

I despair at the ignorance sometimes.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
First, I would accept my children regardless of the sexual orientation.

BUT, when a child is 12 they should be engaged in school, sports, music, art etc. They should not be focused on sexual orientation.

When I was 12, I knew the facts of life but I'm not really sure that I believed them.

I say give kids the time to be kids. We need to slow down societies desire to sexualize children and let them grow up first.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Honestly, it's not the child's fault they are the way they are, it is societies, I mean in the whole "we're here, we're queer" movement, was kinda stupid to me, "I don't hate, and I'm straight".... but the fact of the matter is it's not the parents fault that they are raising queers, It's the media because now its OK to be gay/bi I mean, if it were up to me, the whole "we're here, we're queer" movement would have been stopped. if men wanna cornhole other men, so be it, that's on them, but when they wanted "marriage" i would have put a stop to it, because its just not natural, a "civil union" on the other hand for equal rights to those of someone who is married wouldn't be out of the question on the other hand, but in fact a marriage is between a MAN and a WOMAN, if we allow man/man woman/woman marriages we might as well allow man/dog woman/dog and so on... and as for "homosexuals" not "reproducing" they do reproduce, it's just not in the way man/woman does, they "recruit"

*edited to add: the media has been trying to "recruit" your children for some time now

[edit on 24-9-2009 by clever024]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Homosexuality is nature's way of saying:

"You shouldn't reproduce"

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join