It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Show me the whuffie!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Have you ever wondered what kind of reputation you might have online? More importantly, how do you measure it? A new start-up called the Whuffie Bank aims to try and codify that for you. The non-profit organisation is using the term coined by science fiction writer and columnist Cory Doctorow in his science-fiction novel Down and out in the Magic Kingdom to describe a currency reflecting your online reputation. The idea is that the better your online reputation, the more whuffie you have.

The Whuffie Bank aims to turn this theoretical currency into a real one, and is even exploring the idea of printing physical notes. Starting with the micro-blogging service Twitter but gradually extending out into other social networks such as Facebook, the Whuffie Bank will monitor your online activities and credit you with more whuffie, the more you positively affect other people's online lives.

www.geektown.ca...

In short, the Whuffie Bank hope to turn your online reputation into something that you can spend. It is essentially developing a new currency. It will be an uphill struggle, given that we're in a time when people are suspicious of the currencies in general

www.thewhuffiebank.org...

Just when I thought I'd seen everything. Well now if being online and going to my twitter and facebook can be turned into actual spendable currency...woohoo! However, bully for those who try to do this whilst working at your regular job. Not sure how good of an idea this is, considering there are already too many, myself included, internet addicts. This just reinforces "cocooning" and cutting oneself off from society even more methinks.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by AccessDenied]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
good idea if they have things to buy with it online, or if they can x-fer it to real currency. If not i cant see this getting off the ground.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by phi1618
good idea if they have things to buy with it online, or if they can x-fer it to real currency. If not i cant see this getting off the ground.

Well, they are speaking about "printing" currency..how ironic

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
So it's like a sort of reward for sitting around all day at the computer? Wow, but, even if it could be turned into real money I don't think I'd be able to handle the ISOLATION that I would have to endure. Still, for those that do just sit there all day it's great AND it must be an insentive for others to start doing that. Hehehe, Whuffle...

Ramadwarf laughs at Whuffle but desires it

new topics

top topics

join