It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religions and Numerology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
While searching for which religion I would like to participate I am constantly struck by how similar many religions are, even those that claim to be enemies. Now, yes you have the basic love God and be nice to everyone, but I'm looking more at the details right now. Which is where the numbers come into play, these religions (mainly I looked at Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) all reference the same numbers with some big event. This is an example of what I'm looking into:

-the number of days in the great flood (Noah)
-the number of years the Jews wandered around
-Rabbi Akiva, the gretest expositor of the Oral Torah, began learning how to read Hebrew at 40 yrs old (I'll come back to this)

-Jesus was presented at the temple 40 days after His birth
-Jesus fasted for 40 days/nights
-it the number of days between the resurrection and ascension
-number of days in Lent

-Ad Dajjal (the antichrist) roams around the earth in forty days
-Khadijah was 40 yrs old when she married Muhammad
-Muhammad was 40 yrs old when he began to receive revelations from the angel.

I find it intersting that the Rabbi began learning to read Hebrew at 40 yrs old and Muhammad was illerate and became receiving messages from God also at age 40. Same age, both technically illiterate I wonder if there is some significance here.

There are other numbers that I'm looking into as well ie 7, 12, 33.

Why do you think it is that different faiths hold onto the same numbers? I know that each built on the previous. What I do not understand is that the digit will remain, but in a new context, which is what I find interesting, why not scrap it and pick a different number? Unless, there is something special about these in particular.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The numerology thing can get interesting however Numbers like letters can be found anywhere you look for them.
oh yead edit to add:
7 days in a week,god created the earth and rested on the 7th day and 12 apostles

[edit on 24-9-2009 by zaiger]

[edit on 24-9-2009 by zaiger]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

I see your point, but it seems that any number mentioned with any significance is significant to all (but for a different reason). The 7 thing is interesting, tons of references here. I'm struck though here because as far as the days of the week, one could argue we use it based on the old testament, but what about the 7 continents, you can't create land out nowhere. I'm interested to explore what or if there is a real truth behind the religiously political b.s. And for some reason, I think the numbers play a key role.

Edit to add: When I think about it, I do not think that God would give revelations to one group or the other and screw the rest of humanity, I just can't swallow that, no one is special. Languages divide us, but what is a universal language? Math. I think there might be something in the numbers.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by searching4truth]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Well numbers do get interesting as much as i think much of it is coincidence some patters always seem to show up. This is what people get mixed up on math is not a universal language art would be more of a universal language. Try it for yourself, try to communicate an idea with numbers then try to comminicate it with art no matter how crude.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The number 7 represents the 'original' seven planets that were known to ancient man. These planets were Mercury, Venus, Earth, the Moon (Luna), Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn. The days of the week come from the names of all of these planets, except instead of Earth the sun takes the place of the seventh planet.

English
Monday (Moon-day)
Tuesday (Tyr's Day) Tyr = Germanic Pagan war god
Wednesday (Wodan's Day or Odin's Day) Odin = Germanic Pagan god of intellect and arts
Thursday (Thor's Day) = Germanic Pagan god of thunder
Friday (Frigg's Day) = Germanic Pagan Goddess of Beauty
Saturday (Saturn's Day) = Roman pagan god of time, also known as Chronos
Sunday (Sun-day)

Spanish
lunes (Monday; Luna=Moon)
martes (Tuesday; Mars) Mars = Roman Pagan war god
miércoles (Wednesday; Mercury) = Roman Pagan god of intellect and arts
jueves (Thursday; Jove, or Jupiter) = Roman Pagan god of thunder
viernes (Friday; Venus) Venus = Roman Pagan goddess of beauty
sábado (Saturday; Sabbath/Saturn) Could mean sabbath, or Saturn/Chronos
domingo (Sunday; Lord's Day) Dominus means "lord" in Latin

So basically
Monday = The Moon
Tuesday = Mars
Wednesday = Mercury
Thursday = Jupiter
Friday = Venus
Saturday = Saturn
Sunday = The Sun

[edit on 24-9-2009 by Albastion]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The number 12 comes from the 12 signs of the Zodiac.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
i find that numerology is a very stupid practice. Numerology is just the human mind looking for patterns. If you tell your brain what to look for it will find it no matter what. 23 is a great example

2012 20+1+2= 23
December 21st December is the twelfth month 12+2+1 =23.

with enough numbers and enough sources to can find enough numbers to justify anything. and with your sources being religious texts you can find a whole lot of numbers that seem to have some sort of meaning.

just my 2 cents

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Tesla

Normally, I would agree with you and I'm not so much interested in it from the perspective of future events or end of the world nonsense. What I find interesting is that its the same digits over and over.

Very briefly:
The number 33, in Christianity is the believed age of Jesus when He was crucified. But in Islam, it is believed that those in heaven are aged 33 forever.

The number 12: you have the 12 tribes of Israel, Jacobs 12 sons, the 12 apostles, 12 Imams that were the true successor of Muhammed (Shia), in Hinduism the sun god has 12 names.
As someone mentioned the 12 signs of zodiac but then there were the 12 olympians

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Tesla

23 is also the approximate number of degrees that the Earth is tilted on its axis.

This number symbolizes death or transformation.

You would be surprised how often this angle is used in artwork.

As for numerology, as far as adding digits with one another to get new numbers/meanings is concerned I'm not really sure that I understand the value of that practice. I do however think the use of numbers in painting and various forms of art throughout history can be significant.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Albastion

So basically
Monday = The Moon
Tuesday = Mars
Wednesday = Mercury
Thursday = Jupiter
Friday = Venus
Saturday = Saturn
Sunday = The Sun

Monday = Moonday