It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What ARE Weapons of Mass Destruction?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
OK, the title says it all. What qualifies as a WMD? The reason I ask is due to the following article: U.S. terror suspect indicted on bomb conspiracy charge

Now, I thought WMDs were nuclear, biological and chemical weapons. But this article says:

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A Colorado man arrested in a U.S. terror probe has been indicted on a charge of conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction -- explosive bombs -- against persons or property in the United States, the Justice Department said Thursday.

So, my question is this: Does any type of bomb or explosive device NOW qualify as a WMD? OR did these suspected terrorists have something of a nuclear, biological or chemical nature and we just have not been told about it yet?

What do you all think of this?

EDIT: if any bomb or explosive device can be labeled as a WMD, then it looks like Bush was right about Iraq after all, No?

[edit on 24-9-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I think TV and Mainstream Media have become a very Dangerous weapon of mass destruction.

Seriously. Propaganda Kills.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by titorite]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is another thread with the same subject, although slightly different theme.

The press is trying to have their cake and eat it too! If this is a WMD, then Saddam certainly had them! I thought we never found any WMDs in Iraq, so Surface to Air Missiles, and bunkers full of explosives, and IEDs, and all the other "conventional" warfare items did not qualify at that point!

But, now, a chemical bomb that I can make at home to blow up an old stump qualifies? This is utterly ridiculous! Now, we all have WMD's! I could whip one up at work, or in my kitchen if a couple of minutes!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

i was wondering the same thing.

either the news in minimizing the 'threat' posed by the supposed terrorist plot...

or they are slipping in key words to amp up the fear? though i would guess the average person skimmed over the WMD statement without hesitation.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I could whip one up at work, or in my kitchen if a couple of minutes!

OMG Don't say that!

They come for you next!

Unless your not a Muslim....

You know folks keep on comparing this presidency to the third Reich...

I just compare this government to it... Ever since 911 and ever since another religion got put on the bad list..The US even started Camps in Cuba but we have not stood up to our government yet to say WE DO NOT WANT TO REPEAT HISTORY...

But I digress.

What is a weapon of mass destruct was asked..

It is what ever the dude with the badge and tazzer tells you it is.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by titorite

OMG Don't say that!

They come for you next!

I been wondering about that lately!
Had Cobra helicopters about 500 feet over my house with full arms a couple of days ago, and I am nowhere near the airport or any landing areas, or any military bases for that matter!

A picture of me at the 9/12 Rally made the papers! Maybe it was my "Vote or Get Sodomized" Shirt!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
They reshape the box to fit their immediate needs.

I'm glad I grew up when I did. Even at twelve, I used to go and buy gunpowder by the pound, and as kids, we'd have a real blast.

Nothing malicious. Just exploring the effects of explosives on washtubs, stumps, and even launching cans hundreds of feet into the air.

Using thick pipe, we could launch golf balls hundreds of yards through the air, and could barely see the splash in the sound.

Of course in SF, I became a team engineer. Explosives.

Under the present determinations, I'd have been a twelve year old terrorist with weapons of mass destruction.

I think that any device that can kill more than one person at a time now qualifies.

Of course a high powered rifle, if you can get a shot when they're lined up - that too would qualify.

They're making this up as they go along.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
They reshape the box to fit their immediate needs.

That's what I figured too. They redefine to justify the cause. Typical

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
A brain.

Which is why its under constant attack I guess.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
What are weapons of mass destruction? I've always thought Agent Valentine in the movie Lord of War put it best when it came to WMD's...

Valentine: Do you know why I do what I do? I mean, there are more prestigeous assignments. Keeping track of nuclear arsenels - you'd think that be more critical to world security. But it's not. No, nine out of ten war victims today are killed with assault rifles and small arms - like yours. Those nuclear weapons sit in their silos. Your AK-47, that's the real weapon of mass destruction.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I live in Western NC and there was a story on our local news the other night about six teenagers who were arrested on arson charges for trying to bring down a gazebo on a scenic overlook in the western mountains outside Bryson City. Among the other charges? Possession of weapons of mass destruction b/c they used, get this, molotov cocktails to set it on fire. These kids should pay for what they've done, it was very stupid and pointlessly destructive, but to label a molotov cocktail a WMD? Better watch your children on the 4th next year... a cop sees one sparkler and it's off to Gitmo with them...

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Here's the link to the story... again, I can understand why these idiot teenagers should face the music as it were, but the WMD thing... fit for an SNL "REALL?" moment...

www.wlos.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Here's the link to the story... again, I can understand why these idiot teenagers should face the music as it were, but the WMD thing... fit for an SNL "REALL?" moment...

www.wlos.com...

[edit on 24-9-2009 by Legion2112]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Do I get points for this? a cookie maybe?

Politicians

banksters

Pharmaceuticals

Corporations

Royalty

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Perhaps the FBI was concerned because Zazi (sp?) was supposedly trying to construct a

HYDROGEN (peroxide) BOMB!!!

(Oooohh, Scary!)

Sheesh! Somebody better produce some weapons-grade plutonium real quick and be able to pin it on this guy, or the FBI is going to be shown with MUD on its face and S**T-for-Brains.....Again.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

hello there legion i am one of the kids who was on the news with the dreads...and stupid assholes exploited the whole entire story! the story goes we went up there one night and seen the lookout tower and seen that fires were built in it so we made a molotov and threw it in there and it did no damage what so ever we cleaned it up and everything. we did it numerous times but the media blew it all out of proportion were just kids in this stupid hick town trying to have a little fun. And now the media and cops are giveing us kids a low life reputation as criminals or even TERRORIST!! It's is completely obscene how the news and high authority who is supposed to look over us can twist our truthful story we gave them and exploit us on the news like that and make us look like low life criminals to the public! The reason we threw them in the tower was so the forest wouldnt burn down! hello being responsible enough for that! everyone does stupid # to have fun but there is no reason they should make us kids look worse than terrorist or murderers! If you still wanna talk trash about than do so but i hope someone reads this and will atleast agree with me. Just thing of back in the day when people could have fun like this and everyone just lived there life. Now it's these kids are terrorist and should be exploited and put on the news...If you want the whole story E mail me at [email protected]
Sincerely your stupid teenage kid

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by titorite

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I could whip one up at work, or in my kitchen if a couple of minutes!

OMG Don't say that!

They come for you next!

Unless your not a Muslim....

He could be a Christian or a Republican too, you know those are obviously threats to national security too right?

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ot3P Legion

You need to watch "1984". Freedom is the Freedom to say 2+2=4.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
WMD defination has changed but it is on the Homeland Security website. A weapon of mass destruction is different that a handgun that is used in armed robbery or murder. WMD are defined by the laws of this country with the purpose of using the term in a charging, prosecuting, sentencing, and in the courtroom.

Choice WMD of governments are biologicals, chemicals, and nuclear. Delivered via military craft and military personnel.
Choice WMD of AQ terrorists are crude chemicals, stolen biologicals, pieced together nuclear, shoulder fired rockets, AK47 and other automatic weapons, home-made bombs (IED). Delivered in stolen vehicles, suicide vests, and sometimes donkeys and pregnant women.

Ahhh, now the tricky part. The ISI in Pakistan is a military organization that allows AQ to perform WMD destruction... so it's a combo of the above. That gives them more power and the reason the generals in Afg are asking for more troops.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Ot3P Legion

Well, if it was already on fire then I apologize for insinuating that you were the cause. That not withstanding, you should've left well enough alone and realized that it was only a matter of time before the cops were called. I know there's not much to do left of A'ville but seriously dude, c'mon...

In any case, I think my original point was that for someone to call a molotov a WMD is akin to labeling an inhaler filled with albuterol a chemical weapon should it be discharged in the presence of others.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join