It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: FBI Says Corrupt Border Officials Accepting Bribes Expose U.S. to Terrorist Risk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Exclusive: FBI Says Corrupt Border Officials Accepting Bribes Expose U.S. to Terrorist Risk

abcnews.go.com

With evidence of corrupt U.S. border officials allowing illegal immigrants to enter the country in exchange for bribes, the FBI is concerned terrorists or materials that could be used in a terrorist attack might also slip through.

In one instance at the U.S.-Mexico border, FBI video surveillance obtained by ABC News caught a truck full of illegal immigrants pulling up to Customs and Border Protection officer Michael Gilliland, and being waved through his border inspection lane for $100,000, officials said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

And in Texas, an undercover FBI operation allegedly caught a deputy sheriff in the act.

"You can either pay me here or follow me all the way to Petula and you can pay the judge," the deputy sheriff told an undercover FBI agent posing as a Mexican national, despite the agent having broken traffic laws.

"So the fine is $150 here," the deputy sheriff was recorded as saying.

"You don't have to worry about court or anything," he said, after the undercover agent handed over $150 in cash.

"I don't worry about nothing?" the agent asked.

"No," the deputy sheriff replied.

The FBI says corrupt border officials willing to betray their badge for a price represent a potentially grave national security threat.

Hmm...A little bit of infighting? Do you think it's about time that somebody did something about this?

I used to spend a lot of time down by the border and knew a sheriff's deputy that would party with us. Of course, 'party' doesn't mean cake and balloons.

What surprises me, and I still can't understand, is why tell us this? Why tell us that our OWN people are corrupt and allowing dangerous crap across the border? Why not just arrest them if you know they're corrupt?

Why would the FBI have to GAIN by letting us in on this?

Any ideas?

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Well if something does happen they can say these people caused it or allowed it to happen. Look at the title.

They are worried "terrorists" may be let in so that these ppl can make a quick buck.

It wasn't the governments fault, no no no, it was the border patrol.

More red flags indicating something may happen soon.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
NOW they are CONCERNED!!!

And these are just the people they caught. Not to mention how many people that cross the border every day that isn't seen by anyone.

Unbelievable. We have been saying that we need to secure the borders for years now. Why does it have to take an investigation like this to finally wake people up... However, Politicians will do whatever it is they want to do so that it fits in their little agenda... who cares what the people think. I'll just throw some more propaganda at them and tell them what to think... (Sorry rambling, just p*ssed off!)

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
And this is surprising? Maybe if they paid border security based upon the actual value of keeping the borders safe, then they wouldn't be accepting bribes.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

"The FBI says corrupt border officials willing to betray their badge for a price represent a potentially grave national security threat."

Is this not tantamount to TREASON? Do these agents not take an oath to serve and protect, hold secure the borders they are entrusted to watch, maintain the integrity, so on and so forth?
The "mole" "planted", received $5 million dollars from the cartel, got caught, and sentenced to 240 months in jail: Where is the sentence being served? As a member of the law enforcement community, she is probably segregated from the same criminals she was hired to capture, at a greater cost.

The situation along our borders must change. The number of corrupt agents caught, just as the amount of drugs seized, represents a fraction of the actual numbers.

What is to be done to control the borders, if the people paid to do so, willingly fail? I feel the answer is obvious, however, too drastic for the more liberal crowd.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Aggie Man
And this is surprising? Maybe if they paid border security based upon the actual value of keeping the borders safe, then they wouldn't be accepting bribes.

It IS a little surprising to me. Not so much that the Border Patrol doesn't get paid enough, but because it's hitting MSM and we have one branch of the feds (FBI in this case) bagging on another (DHS) in public.

It's hard to believe that almost ANYONE would think they are getting paid what they are worth, from the guy flipping burgers to a CEO for AIG...but accepting bribes wouldn't be right for either of those. I don't think we can use that as an excuse. It makes it easier to understand, sure.

x2Strongx
Unbelievable. We have been saying that we need to secure the borders for years now. Why does it have to take an investigation like this to finally wake people up... However, Politicians will do whatever it is they want to do so that it fits in their little agenda... who cares what the people think. I'll just throw some more propaganda at them and tell them what to think... (Sorry rambling, just p*ssed off!)

I think we've all known for a long time about the porousness of the borders, it's just weird that this is only being talked about in MSM now..at least to me...I know they are spending a lot of money building new border stations and such...well, not the ones that NEED it, but useless ones with no traffic...I just can't help but question the timing...it seems to me like they REALLY need some fall guys for all the crap that's going on right now. Just seems really convenient.

mkross1983
Well if something does happen they can say these people caused it or allowed it to happen. Look at the title.

They are worried "terrorists" may be let in so that these ppl can make a quick buck.

I didn't want to seem to paranoid, but I was left with that overwhelming feeling. Thanks for your input.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by pyrytyes

"The FBI says corrupt border officials willing to betray their badge for a price represent a potentially grave national security threat."

Is this not tantamount to TREASON? Do these agents not take an oath to serve and protect, hold secure the borders they are entrusted to watch, maintain the integrity, so on and so forth?
The "mole" "planted", received $5 million dollars from the cartel, got caught, and sentenced to 240 months in jail: Where is the sentence being served? As a member of the law enforcement community, she is probably segregated from the same criminals she was hired to capture, at a greater cost.

The situation along our borders must change. The number of corrupt agents caught, just as the amount of drugs seized, represents a fraction of the actual numbers.

What is to be done to control the borders, if the people paid to do so, willingly fail? I feel the answer is obvious, however, too drastic for the more liberal crowd.

You make some very good points. She would have to be segregated, or face certain death, I would assume....and yes, for every ONE they catch, there are probably ten more they don't. It's hard to believe that individual officers are guilty without something being known further up the chain. It is unfathomable that these officers would be operating without any interaction from supervisors or regular ethics checks.

Even though your idea of a solution may be radical, I'm very interested in hearing it.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by mkross1983

Like the axe falling on the FBI's budget allocation if they aren't magnifying trivial and common crimes to be the next 9/11...reminds me of the DEA's report of 2003 making connections between recreational drug use- even pot- and terrorism. Post 9/11 reorganization of DOJ into DHS and they feel they might get the short end of the funding stick, so have to remind Americans how much we need them.
Expect even the most tenuous of terrorism connected events to make front page headlines until forever, or sheeple get a clue, whichever comes last. Thus we happily accept every outrageous orwellian abuse of our freedoms by an increasingly self serving and lazy government who we believe can "keep us safe" from a risk less likely than being struck by lightning. Meanwhile they just hire more people who all feel that incremental pay raises are a right not a performance based compensation, want astronomical retirement packages, and by and large have no accountability to the people anymore. Worst case there is NSA. OMFG.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

All govt officials take bribes. That's why our best weapon in the battle against illegals is to make them not even want to come here. Take away all their benefits like welfare access and free ER care and free schooling and of course, imprison employers who hire illegals.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

pay them what they're worth? they can expect about 30,000 a year to start. plus all US government benefits....not bad for an entry-level position. check this site for details....
honorfirst.com...

No one is twisting their arms making them take the job, and to insinuate that low pay is the cause of their corruption is ridiculous.

[edit on 9/24/2009 by glevel]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

"Even though your idea of a solution may be radical, I'm very interested in hearing it."

When the services for which you are paying are not be done to your satisfaction, you either obtain another provider, or do it yourself. Doing it yourself insures satisfaction. There are many willing, and capable, individuals ready, nay anxious, for a bit of "DIY" border security.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by glevel
reply to post by Aggie Man

pay them what they're worth? they can expect about 30,000 a year to start. plus all US government benefits....not bad for an entry-level position. check this site for details....
honorfirst.com...

No one is twisting their arms making them take the job, and to insinuate that low pay is the cause of their corruption is ridiculous.

[edit on 9/24/2009 by glevel]

It's not just low pay...it's what is being offered vs. low pay. And it's not ridiculous. Lack of "acceptable" compensation is the cause of "disgruntled" or "rogue" employees ALL THE TIME...no matter what the occupation. Justifiable? NO. Reality? YES!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mkross1983

That's what I was thinking. That's what most of us are thinking. We feel it coming. I think we all had a collective feeling that it was going to go down on the 22nd.

I hate this, I wish we didn't like in this type of world, but the truth of the matter is, many senarios people have come up with involve bringing suitcase nukes through the Mexico border, so maybe that really could happen, or something just as bad, maybe worse.

But either way, at a time like this, and considering how many enemies we have made over the last 100 years and how many wars we've waged, I'd say it's damn near time we did something about our lax border security.

Remember, we all worry about false flags now, or at least the informed do, but also, we really have made people hate our guts something fierce; we really do have enemies who want to harm us.

So maybe stepping up control of our own borders isn't a bad idea at all.

Now, that police are corrupt, that is nothing new, nor is it news. Maybe in some civilized areas things are different, but in the south or southwest, they are awful lawless sheriffs from the old west. Best to keep on moving through and not draw any attention to yourself. But maybe I get more profiled since I am brown and I have a beard, I don't know.

new topics

top topics

join