It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Muscle Will Show in G-20 City

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Thanks for posting that Warren. Starred and flag.

We are getting to that time of day when things will start heating up I fear.

Thanks for keeping us posted Warren.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I don't want to be accused of inciting riots again, but if these protesters are beaten and harassed then something really needs to be done, and i don't mean just in Pitsburgh.

There need to be some serious protests around America and this needs to be brought up in Congress.

If not, then democracy in the United States is dead.

If i don't hear of even one U.S politician speaking out about this, then it is truely a disgrace.

Again that is, if the protesters are treated in such a way.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Now Cindy Sheehan on scene. Can't really work out what's going on now. Got the Ustream on. The order to disperse I heard on GCN 10 minutes ago is now on the ustream vid.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

So they are ordering the protesters to disperse?

And are these protesters protesting legally? I mean do they have a permit?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I would have no idea whether they're full blown anarchists, police plants or certified protesters.

The audio was stating they were not permitted and had to disperse so I guess they didn't.

Point of order though:

If you have to get a permit to protest then all that means is the protest is state-approved

That is NOT a protest.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

The group's map showed Penn Avenue as the expected march route, but Perrine reported that protesters left the park via 38th Street and seemed to be headed downtown via Liberty Avenue instead.

I don't know what the police have planned. Certainly, I do know law enforcement is capable of causing great violence, so maybe you need to ask the law enforcement," protester Renee Sanderfer said. "I have no idea of any (plans to cause disruptions). I haven't heard a single thing."

Cipriani said security forces are already taking steps to make sure the protest doesn't get too close to the convention center, where world leaders will convene to discuss the global economic crisis over the next two days.

Cement barriers have been set up along Penn in the Strip, starting at the 16th Street Bridge intersection.

Further up Penn, there are police officers and military members stationed along the Veterans Bridge across from the convention center.

Inside the Golden Triangle downtown, there are federal, state and local police officers on foot, bike and horseback, patrolling a security perimeter that has been established around the convention center by the U.S. Secret Service.

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl swore in thousands of visiting law enforcement on Wednesday night at Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall in Oakland.

Here we go this just in from Twitter

Riot police marching down 32nd street yfrog.com

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Is it usual for US riot police to be wearing camo-trousers?

There appears to be a line of them alongside the regular black uniforms.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Beautiful Down Town Pittsburgh and the Riot Police!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

The helmeted police make me feel safe and secure.

Nothing like that friendly plexiglass covered eye contact to put you at ease!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Because hey this muscle bound guy dripping weapons and laden with explosives stopping to politely ask for directions looks real dangerous

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Hey, hold a minute. Anyone know that the "first women" are all meeting up at Theresa Heinz-Kerry's house?

What's that all about then?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal
Hey, hold a minute. Anyone know that the "first women" are all meeting up at Theresa Heinz-Kerry's house?

What's that all about then?

It's about wealth and power and privelage and the fact that a few of the Powers that Be made their fortunes in Pittsburgh off of coal, steel, metals and food.

Friends in low places.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Police deployed tear gas on protesters as the largest demonstration against the Group of 20 economic summit brought more than 500 protesters into the street in Pittsburgh.

The group scattered in all directions as officers in riot gear fired tear gas into the crowd in the area between Arsenal Park -- at 40th Street and Penn Avenue -- and 35th Street. A group dressed in black face masks marched outbound on Liberty, back toward Lawrenceville and Bloomfield and a police line stopped them from moving toward Downtown.

Officers warned the crowd in several languages to disperse or face arrest.

Protesters first rallied in Arsenal Park, then spread to streets around the park at 40th Street and Penn Avenue, some lying down in the street and others chanting: "Bankers, bankers, watch your back, we don't protest, we attack!"

Yahoo News

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

E.J. Thompson, 39, of Monterrey Bay, Calif., arrived in Pittsburgh on Sunday to protest what he called destruction of the environment by world leaders. He came to Arsenal Park prepared for violence. He duct-taped phone books to his body, and wore shin guards and baggie yellow protective pants, similar to a firefighter's turnout gear.

"I just want my message out there," he said. "The difference between me and the people who are supposed to be keeping order is that I don't deliver my message using tear gas and rubber bullets."

Earlier, a group of several hundred people calling themselves Students for a Democratic Society marched from Oakland through Bloomfield toward Arsenal Park .

Young protesters, many wearing masks or bandanas covering their faces, shouted and carried signs calling for the end of war, greater access to education, and the demise of capitalism on their march from Schenley Plaza to Arsenal Park.

Many of the protesters identified themselves as residents of Washington, D.C. and Rochester, NY.

"We're here to let leaders of the world know that education is a right and that the current way of doing things is not working," said Deborah Hollingsworth, 30, of West Jefferson, NC.

Police followed the crowd in marked and unmarked police units and a helicopter hovered overhead. The crowd was boisterous but not unruly, keeping to the sidewalk and obeying traffic lights as it marched.

City Councilman Patrick Dowd was among people waiting along the initial march route from Oakland, standing at Penn Avenue in Bloomfield with his three children, ages 7, 10 and 12. Observing the protesters was a "learning experience" for them, he said.

I wonder what the youngsters are learning in this last paragraph? How Americans no longer have the right to protest?

Pittsburgh Tribune Review

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
This absolutely makes me sick. I cannot believe this is occurring, and it blows me even further away to see the good little minions playing along.........................Hey, they have power too!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Police in riot gear blocked the marchers from leaving the park on the 40th Street side, but the group was allowed to exit on 39th Street and head to Liberty Avenue, where they turned toward Downtown around 3 p.m.

But around 34th Street, a recording in both English and Spanish blared out that it was an unlawful assembly and ordered marchers to disperse. The announcement was accompanied by a high-pitched noise.

Most of the marchers then turned down an alley near the Church Brew Works restaurant and headed toward Penn Avenue. From there, police blocked some of them on Denny Street, where some Dumpsters were overturned, while other marchers headed to Mintwood Street. Eventually they got to 37th Street and headed toward Butler Street.

At that intersection, police again confronted them and ordered them to disperse, then fired tear gas, forcing the marchers to retreat.

Some of them regrouped at Penn Avenue and Main Street and began chanting "Round 2" before heading to Liberty Avenue in Bloomfield, where they chanted "Whose street? Our street." That group, Detroit-based Bail Out the People, then walked in a traffic lane of Liberty Avenue through most of the Bloomfield business district before 10 to 15 police cars arrived, with K-9s, and dispersed them. They headed to Friendship Park in Bloomfield.

Others reached 32nd and Penn, where traffic was brought to a halt when police again confronted the marchers and ordered them to stop. As of 4 p.m., that group obeyed orders to move to a sidewalk but refused orders to disperse.

Still another group was reported going into the PNC Bank in the 2000 block of Penn.

Read more: www.post-gazette.com...

Demonstration leaders chanted "Round 2," as they fled the area, a suggestion that yet more confrontations could be forming.

(As of 4:35 p.m. some 400 had re-grouped at Friendship Park in Bloomfield, and police were arriving.)

Pittsburgh Post Gazette

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones
This absolutely makes me sick. I cannot believe this is occurring, and it blows me even further away to see the good little minions playing along.........................Hey, they have power too!

Well friend Sancho it looks like this is not just a hardy band of 400-500 protesters but a determined one that the police have been harassing throughout the day, trying to pen them in at times, and trying to get them to disperse at other times just to see them keep regrouping.

They seem determined, it should prove deciding round about the time the sun goes down, the Police will want to break them up before the night wears on.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
8' high fencing, multiple check points, bomb dogs, national guard,
armed gun teams, jersey barriers, police patrols, and they do have a sound cannon, and they are telling people to leave and if you dont leave you will be subject to force, its on local tv now, JUST WOW!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
8' high fencing, multiple check points, bomb dogs, national guard,
armed gun teams, jersey barriers, police patrols, and they do have a sound cannon, and they are telling people to leave and if you dont leave you will be subject to force, its on local tv now, JUST WOW!

Welcome to the U.S.S.A.!

Thank you for serving the Glorious State!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Well, so far the US really does look to be as Apathetic and entirely uncaring as I feared it would be. 500 compared to 35,000 in London? Keep on fighting the good fight for television and KFC, you wonderful people, keep on fighting.

Sarcasm because I was hoping this would be the year that they finally overran the thing and shot them in the street. 100k armed would do the trick, and even if they didn't succeed the amount dead would rally enough to the cause that it would have the same effect.

Seems that no one in the world cares anymore.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join