It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Anglo-Saxon Gold Hoard Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I noticed a couple of articles this morning on this and thought I'd share as some pieces of amazing workmanship were found.

Approx. 1500 gold and sliver pieces thought to date to the 7th century found by an amature with a metal detector in a field near Staffordshire UK.

They are thinking some of the haul may be the spoils of war and possibly have belonged to Anglo-Saxon royalty.

Pics and vid of the find at links below.

Sun - Man strikes gold with record haul

BBC - Huge Anglo-Saxon Gold Hoard Found

[edit on 24-9-2009 by Frogs]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Mr Herbert, 55, of Burntwood in Staffordshire, who has been metal detecting for 18 years, came across the hoard as he searched land belonging to a farmer friend over five days in July. The exact location has not been disclosed.

now thats what i call a cool story!!

Terry Herbert, who found it on farmland using a metal detector, said it "was what metal detectorists dream of". It may take more than a year for it to be valued.

im really happy for that man since metal detectorists are redicouled all the time.

S+F

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Given how much info archaeologists gleaned from the finds at Sutton Hoo, this promises to expand our understanding of Anglo-Saxon culture enormously.

Hmmm. Wonder how much a decent metal detector is?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Karilla

lol..i already googled 1

you know here in Malta ive never seen any one with that hobby so there might be some $$$ hidden somewhere

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The wealthy use to hide their valuables (hoards) before they were raided by Viking armies. Then, they either forgot where they buried them, or were killed and the knowledge died with them.

Probably more hoards waiting to be discovered

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Unfortunately the artical says , that because it's classed as a 'treasure' it goes to the Crown, as if they haven't got enough loot, now they want to get their parasitic claws into ancient archeological findings as well.Hope the finder gets what its worth. But I doubt it.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

It's always been that way. The British Museum values the hoard and then that money is paid out to the finder and the landowner. From what I understand, there is so much academic scrutiny of these finds that the real value does tend to get paid out.

I think the law harks back to the Spanish galleons bringing treasure back from the New World. The Crown needed it to pa for the endless series of wars it was engaged in at that time.

new topics

top topics

join