It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shock Video: School Kids Taught to Praise Obama

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Regardless, I would be very uncomfortable to have my child do something like this- especially put to the tune of Battle Hymn of the Republic with lyrics similar to Jesus Loves the Little Children in one stanza. Even if others consider that over reaction, I'm the parent so that's that.

Well within the rights of any parent to take issue...if it is your child.

That said...how uncomfortbale would you be if it was your child in that video and Fox News elevated it to national news as a talking point in the context of the current political climate?

And right wing blogs were broadcasting names and contact information of the school and teachers to your childs school encouraging followers to "express" their discontent??

Ponder that for a moment...

I am not naive, I know about ratings and sensationalism, but really...are we targeting a grade school for singing a song about President Obama during black history month? Is that what we do in this political climate?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

i love your avatar, but find myself disagreeing with almost everything ive seen you post. why is this?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

No one wants to confront the elephant in the room. This isn't about indoctination or Hitler Youth( though I love hyperbole). This about choice which is one of the good things you can say about America. Like you say A free market. Public education has proven itself to be a miserable failure. I say chuck it all and privatize education. If you are not willing to sacrifice for your children then why did you have them. But like true americans we get all in a tizzy over this and avoid the real problem. Maybe the great American experiment itself is a dismal failure.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizan

I don't think it's a failure... I think that we are still learning... and some lessons are tough... but I agree whole heartedly with your sentiment.

If you are going to have children, whether you plan them or not, they are YOUR responsibility and no one elses...

It's great if there is someone to help, and I do believe in a public option for these things.. but the public option should never be seen as the standard... just an option

[edit on 24-9-2009 by HunkaHunka]

link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
I am not naive, I know about ratings and sensationalism, but really...are we targeting a grade school for singing a song about President Obama during black history month? Is that what we do in this political climate?

Yep.

Smear at all costs. Even at the expense of the privacy of the school and the kids in the video.

Pathetic, isn't it?

link   

Originally posted by lucentenigma

The thing is, the screen shot is supposed to be the women who filmed the videos youtube page.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by lucentenigma]

The screen shot is from the site of a School chum of the President's who has been a vocal supporter...NOT the person who filmed it. Likely some mother sent it to her.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Originally posted by Resinveins
No it's not. I have a problem with this no matter the context.

I can see how people have a problem with it. Thats not my issue. My issue is that people have condemned it without even considering the context of it, on the pretext of a lie about when it was filmed.

Thanks for assuming I took everything at face value and that everything included was true and that I reached some "knee jerk" reaction based on a falsehood. Yeah.. I take everything posted next to a youtube video as gospel. Or maybe... just maybe.. I looked at it from the stand point of "Is there any possible scenario where I'd find teaching this song to a group of children that young ok?" And since the answer I come up with is "Absolutely not... that's one of the creepiest things I've seen all year."... that sort of takes context out of the equation... at least for me. It makes no difference to me if it was filmed during black history month.. or right after the election... or if you substitute George W. Bush for Barrack Husein Obama in the refrain. So I hope you'll understand if I object to your assertion that this is all about context... for some it most certainly is not.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Very good point and an honest question. To be honest, I'd be rather unnerved to have my son's school find itself at the center of a political controversy and on the news. Something to think about for sure. On the other hand, I don't believe in silencing matters like this. I don't have a perfect answer for you but can acknowledge you bring up some possibly valid concerns.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I'd rip my kids outta school so fast... that makes me so mad.

That's disturbing...

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

I know you were not responding to me...but in light of your explanation...

I respect your opinion while I disagree with it. Please disregard my response to your original post.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resinveins
Thanks for assuming I took everything at face value and that everything included was true and that I reached some "knee jerk" reaction based on a falsehood. Yeah.. I take everything posted next to a youtube video as gospel.

I made no such assumption. I said "people".

If I wanted to make an assumption about you, I would have said "you" plainly and simply. I'm like that, plain speaking is my kind of thing.

Sheesh. You need to chill out.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Ms.Skies

For your own sense of personal outrage or your childs benefit? There is a difference.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

I am curious however... you sound like someone who would support a public health option for the same reasons... is this true?

[edit on 24-9-2009 by HunkaHunka]

I see where you are trying to go with this.

IMHO children should have the right to free quality education and health care among other things.

Let's face it, there are many people who have children and can't take care of them. Some plan their pregnancy's and then # happens and the run into hard times.

In any civilized society our children should be our first priority and every child should have the same basic privileges no matter if ones parent is a lawyer or a crackhead.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I sometimes rate my media intake with my own imaginary news-worthy meter.

I imagine it is 150 years ago when the primary way news spread nationwide was by horseback. For this story would you put a man on a horse and send him riding?....Otherwise it is local news. Between the parents and the school...the way it was meant to be.

...alas...now a leading story just has to be you-tube worthy and innocent folks/kids get eaten up in the light-speed tabloid news cycle and the ratings race.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucentenigma

The thing is, the screen shot is supposed to be the women who filmed the videos youtube page.

The screen shot is from the site of a School chum of the President's who has been a vocal supporter...NOT the person who filmed it. Likely some mother sent it to her.

And you know this how?

I'm not saying for certain she is the one who filmed it but if you know who did can you please post?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

reply to post by AshleyD

I sometimes rate my media intake with my own imaginary news-worthy meter.

I imagine it is 150 years ago when the primary way news spread nationwide was by horseback. For this story would you put a man on a horse and send him riding?....Otherwise it is local news. Between the parents and the school...the way it was meant to be.

...alas...now a leading story just has to be you-tube worthy and innocent folks/kids get eaten up in the light-speed tabloid news cycle and the ratings race.

Well that stand point depends on two things:

1) The way news was spread before was the correct way.

2) This news in no way affects other people or speaks of a larger issue.

Based on those two things, I would say your premise is wrong. I would think most people agree that the system now where information spreads more quickly, is better than horseback and word of mouth. Also, I think most people agree this is a larger issue that simply one school or one class and their kids. Logical deduction reasons that this is neither a local issue, nor is the horseback information dissemination method better.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
IT's a sign!!!

not really

This is a teacher parent issue

But I see it must be Hitler

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

He probably will end up like Kennedy.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I am just curious.. Have any of you noticed the I am Barak Obama poster in the backround in the video?

About 1:36...

And is it just me or is the second part.. after the cadence..does it sound like it is sung to the tune of "Glory Glory Hallelujah" ?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by johnny2127

But what can an American president do? With all the pressions from everywhere: the firms that gave him the money for the election, the lobbys, the multinationals, the army and others I don't know, there is no way somebody could change anything unless there is a revolution!
About the song: seen from France, this is very very shocking too, even if we have a very good opinion of Obama. Even if the French President died, children wouldn't praise him like this, the teachers would never ever allow it.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join