It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student from SC private school closed for flu dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Is it beginning?

MANNING, S.C. -- An 11-year-old student at a South Carolina private school closed because of a possible flu epidemic has died.

WIS-TV reports Laurence Manning Academy student Ashley Pipkin died Wednesday while being taken to a Columbia hospital.

The girl's family says she started complaining of flu-like symptoms Monday and ended up with pneumonia.

Laurence Manning Academy will be closed through Friday after about 290 of the private school's 1,000 students called in sick on Tuesday, citing flu-like symptoms.

Headmaster Spencer Jordan says a third of those students have been diagnosed with Type A Influenza, while the rest have various cold symptoms.

He says the school has no confirmed cases of swine flu.

Link

290 Students all with the normal flu sick enough to call out?

It looks to me as if this is hitting real close now.

Semper

[edit on 9/24/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Wow Semper, I used to live in Manning, right down on the lake
and I worked up in Sumter.
Jasper county is ridiculously poor and I'm sure the general health of
kids there is relatively bad. Like many other supposed swine flu
deaths there is usually an underlying cause like asthma or
a heart condition. We'll see, but I doubt that there will be any
other fatalities attributed to the flu in that area. I'm sure there
will be a correlation of swine flu deaths and poverty, disease
always seems to work that way. Thanks for keeping us
posted Semper!

[edit on 24-9-2009 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Hey Semper,

Do you have a link to the article because i'm having some problems reading it.....

MANNING, S.C. -- An 11-year-old student at a South Carolina private school closed because of a possible flu epidemic has died.

shouldn't that be...

MANNING, S.C. -- a South Carolina private school closed because of a possible flu epidemic. An 11-year-old student has died.

Good thread, star and flag for that!!

Peace

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Sorry..

Added the link

Semper

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Reading on other reported cases it seeems that Pneumonia is the more common. there seems to be a relationship with it and h1n1. I dont know what but if you read about the cases where mass goups got it pneumonia is in the group as well.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

Is it beginning?

This is tragic news, very scary and as you stated a precursor to an evet unfolding very rapidly here in the US?

Laurence Manning Academy will be closed through Friday after about 290 of the private school's 1,000 students called in sick on Tuesday, citing flu-like symptoms.

So statistically, if one in 1,ooo dies of this, lets see we have over 300million in America...

Headmaster Spencer Jordan says a third of those students have been diagnosed with Type A Influenza, while the rest have various cold symptoms.

Strange that 'all' the children in the school have been tested? Odd in and of itself dont you agree? And if this was only monday, how do they have the test results back on 1,000 kids so fast?

He says the school has no confirmed cases of swine flu.

Link

290 Students all with the normal flu sick enough to call out?

If a child dies at my childrens school, I am pulling mine out and out of 1,000 Children 200+ being kept home by concerned parents is a low number if you ask me.

It looks to me as if this is hitting real close now.

We will have to wait and see, stay calm and watchful without getting so worked up that you make rash decissions.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
She didn't die from swine flu.

She died of pneumonia.

Sad, really. My heart goes out to her parents. To lose one so young to pneumonia of all things >_

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
www.laurencemanning.com...

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: September 22-25, 2009

In an effort to ensure the safety and health of all of our children in regards to the H1N1 virus and other illnesses affecting our student body and faculty at this time, the administration of Laurence Manning Academy has made the decision to close the school on Wednesday, September 23rd, Thursday, September 24th, and Friday, September 25th. All athletic and extra-curricular events during this time have been cancelled and, if possible, will be rescheduled at a later date.

The varsity football game schedule for Friday, September 25th, has been rescheduled for Monday, September, 28th at 7:00 p.m.

SCHOOL WILL RESUME AS NORMAL ON MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 28th.

Please take this opportunity to ensure the health and safety of your family by taking all necessary precautions to avoid contracting or spreading any type of infectious disease. Please consult your personal physician if you have any questions related to this issue.

Please keep in mind that the health of all our children is at the forefront of every decision that we make here at Laurence Manning.

God Bless,

Spencer A. Jordan

Headmaster

In an effort to ensure the safety and health of all of our children in regards to the H1N1 virus and other illnesses affecting our student body

In regards to the H1N1 virus????? Stories like this are surfacing all over the US..........

This is why manditory vaccines will come very soon!!

[edit on 24-9-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
More info from school..........

September 8, 2009

Dear Parents,

It has come to the school’s attention that two of our children have been positively diagnosed with the H1N1 virus (also referred to as swine flu). This information came to us this morning prompting me to inform our parent body about this issue. The students who have the flu did not have a temperature while on campus and, therefore, were not contagious. Listed below are some of the recommendations that both South Carolina DHEC and the CDC have emphasized to slow the spread of the flu.

Swine flu has been circulating in our state, as well as other states, since May of 2009. South Carolina DHEC has been monitoring this virus throughout the summer and continues to monitor as schools have opened for the 2009-2010 school year.

The swine flu spreads the same way that regular seasonal flu viruses spread; mainly through the coughs and sneezes of people who are sick with the flu. It also spreads by touching contaminated objects and then touching your eyes, nose or mouth.

We need your help to prevent the further spread of flu among our children and Laurence Manning Academy. Some things that you can do to help slow the spread of the flu:

•Talk with your child about hand washing. Frequent hand washing with soap and warm water helps remove viruses and other germs. Children should wash their hands for about 20 seconds or longer.

•Teach your child to cover his or her mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing and then to throw the tissue away. Your child can cough or sneeze into his or her upper sleeve if no tissue is handy. Wash hands afterward.

•Keep your child home if he or she has a fever of 100◦F or higher with a cough or sore throat for which there is no known cause. Call your child’s school or childcare provider and tell them your child’s symptoms. In most cases, your child can return after he or she has been fever free for at least 24 hours without taking fever-reducing medications.

•Make sure that we have a way to reach you (turn-in your medical info. and general info. sheets if you have not done so). Children who become ill with flu-like symptoms at school or childcare must be sent home.

We greatly appreciate your help and understanding. To view the childcare and school exclusion lists, you can visit the DHEC web site: www.scdhec.gov/health/disease/exclusion.htm. They list information about when a child should be kept home.

At this time, South Carolina DHEC does not advise cancellation of any school related activities. Information on the novel H1N1 (swine flu) continues to change quickly. The administration of Laurence Manning Academy will remain in contact with our local DHEC authorities to do all we possibly can to help slow the spread of the virus and keep you informed as best we can.

Together we can slow the spread of flu.

With regards,

Spencer A. Jordan

Headmaster

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chiiru
She didn't die from swine flu.

She died of pneumonia.

Sad, really. My heart goes out to her parents. To lose one so young to pneumonia of all things >_<

I think just about all swine flu victims died from pneumonia... swine flu CAUSES pneumonia... They call it COMPLICATIONS FROM SWINE FLU.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
This is interesting, the UGA football team members also were diagnosed with swine flu.

One of the players was quarantine and could not attend the first game of the season, but the rest of the team that had the flu already got over it and played.

Supposedly all the team got some variations of the flu, but they all did well and they are back at the game.

Also many other teams around the nation had also problems with players been sick.

I have not hear that the UGA campus has been closed because students are sick.

Here in my neck of woods the flu the cases has been sporadic and since the school years started no schools has been closed yet

[edit on 24-9-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Another school case..............

www.woai.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Considering that the black plague had three variants, pneumonia being the 95% mortality rate one, could be good reason for it being what it is. Would be interesting if these were the initial outbreaks, the spread could be rather insane in speed if comparable to outbreaks of the past. Considering the concentration of people it'd be nothing for this to get out of hand and fast.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Well I wonder how many of those getting the swine flu already have gotten their regular flu shots.

This are not good news,

Seasonal flu shot may increase H1N1 risk: early data

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Or this other news.

Is Swine Flu Vaccine Causing Swine Flu Deaths?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

From the source,

little known study released by the CDC that reports on the deaths of 36 children attributable to complications from the Swine flu. The majority of those deaths occurred in children with very significant neurodevelopmental disorders.

researchupdate.mccoypress.net...

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by IlmInsa

Plague was spread by fleas that were being carried by rats. Influenza
travels from person to person, through mutal contact or airborne
within close proximity. The rate of infection will be different, perhaps
even faster than plague.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
In the letter above from the school, it mentions that if someone does not have a fever they are not contagious. Since when does not having a fever mean you can't spread disease? That is completely false. My son has a cold right now and no fever but I am sure my other kids will have colds soon too! Many with H1N1 do not even have a fever and some actually have reported lower body temps instead.

Also, most of the H1N1 deaths are due to cytokine storm, which could be another reason for the "pneumonia":

"The 1918 flu caused an unusual number of deaths, possibly due to it causing a cytokine storm in the body.[5][6] (The current H5N1 bird flu, also an Influenza A virus, has a similar effect.)[7] The Spanish flu virus infected lung cells, leading to overstimulation of the immune system via release of cytokines into the lung tissue. This leads to extensive leukocyte migration towards the lungs, causing destruction of lung tissue and secretion of liquid into the organ. This makes it difficult for the patient to breathe. In contrast to other pandemics, which mostly kill the old and the very young, the 1918 pandemic killed unusual numbers of young adults, which may have been due to their healthy immune systems mounting a too-strong and damaging response to the infection."

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join