It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Driver takes GPS to top of cliff -- and nearly over

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Driver takes GPS to top of cliff -- and nearly over

ca.tech.yahoo.com

I hate to admit this, but horror stories about people following the directions of their GPS units with utter abandon just never get old. I can't count how many times I've read about drivers that have ended up in various bodies of water, but this is the first time in recent memory that I've heard about a GPS enthusiast that's found himself about to drive off a cliff.

This week's installment of bad driving comes from the UK, where a 43-year-old man named Robert Jones drove a $45,000 BMW off the main road and onto an unpaved trail designed for horses, bicycles,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Why didn't this guy just use an old fashion map, because technology has made easier for people to get around rather than making the effort of planning a route.

I much prefer a map over a GPS system because sometimes these things happened, like getting lost or making a wrong turn. But nothing extreme like just about getting yourself killed. My first vehicle is going to be an older model without all this non sense included.

ca.tech.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I use the roads everyday to commute to London and back from the burbs and I see people GLUED to their satnavs, and not watching the roads instead.
The thng that galls me the most is that people think the GPS unit in their cr or attached to their dashboards is per second update, they don't realise it takes a few seconds and if they're driving TOO FAST they miss their intended turnoff, slam on their brakes and either slow to a crawl without pulling over , or do a U-turn infront of me, and me being on a motorcycle it can be a bit dangerous.
They pay more attention to the little screen than to the road or common sense, and I'm glad this guy got done for undue care and attention, if your going off road then obviously you've taken a wrong turn and if you don't use your eyes to see your environment then tough luck , you either get done or get killed, but just don't anyone with you.

It's like when people text on their mobile phones whist driving along, they should show that California? bus driver as her texted for 6 minutes before slamming into the back of a line of parked vehicles. now that was justice. except he injured the people he ran into the back of.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Myself and my Parents have never used a GPS ever, my brother however insists on them and once while travelling in a Convoy in the East of UK the GPS brought us out and around a needless Junction, only to turn around and having to get back on a Motorway to get off where we should have intended to (although I knew this simply by looking at the map.)
Maps don't lie, unless your either no good at bearings or its seriously out of date. GPS technology makes me wonder that in a time of a emergency who's not to say people flee'ing the scene would be using GPS which, instead of taking them out of town, actually takes them to set-up camps or military checkpoints.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
this that gets me with these storys is the sheer stupidity of the drivers.

gpc has a tiny screen, the wind screen, which they should be looking out is massive, if they were actualy looking out the window and not at their gps window they woudl notice the freekin ocean coming up in front of them, be it night or day!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
G.P.S is not reliable.
always believe your eyes ,rather than a gps.
recently in Brisbane , Australia ,a large hire
motorcruiser, ran aground[using obselete old map]
on gps,
at full speed ,at night, straight into a man-made
rock wall.
They were all badly injured, [4?]I think one person died.

look before you trust an inaccurate gadget.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I love the way the GPS is blamed.

What ever happened to personal responsiblity?

What evert happened to the use of eyes, and common sense, and a bit of thinking?

The GPS didn't take this guy to the top of a cliff. His choice to blindly follow it did.

Its nothing to do with the technology and everything to do with his own personal stupidity. He deserves the fine, and really should be banned to be honest, because he obviously hasn't got the common sense to be driving a vehicle on a public road.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I agree, it's like these drivers just hand over responsibility and their lives, to this little box that doesn't even know the best or quickest way to get anywhere.

What happened to reading signs and using a map?

Or as you said nef.... common sense.

I dunno :shk:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
What happened to reading signs and using a map?

the stupid lemming nearly drove over a cliff because the GPS told him to, do you seriously expect him to have the where-with-all to be able to effectively navigate using signage and a map?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Well, GPS are reliable - most of the time. I can think of many times my GPS has done strange things and led me to a dead end, but that's par de course. Mostly it is reliable and I rely on it - but have a back-up road atlas (just in case).

The amazing thing is where people follow their sat nav without using their brain, intuition and initiative.

Regards

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I use GPS all the time but i will not drive by one.

nether will i use a map type GPS. because i am off the map when i need a GPS.
I use them for way points when boondocking in the desert.

I can go to Google earth and find the dirt road going where i want to go and mark the way points at every junction and the GPS will show me where to turn.
but i dont just turn because the GPS tell me to.
I follow the roads.

Some times GPS is as much as 30 feet off the mark.

Because of flash floods in the desert i have found roads that show on google earth satellite photos that are no longer there.
But i did not find them by driving blindly into a dry wash.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Wow this GPS is totally taking me to right where I SSSSHHHHHHIIIIIIII!!!

LMAO, that's priceless.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

the stupid lemming nearly drove over a cliff because the GPS told him to, do you seriously expect him to have the where-with-all to be able to effectively navigate using signage and a map?

Fair point mate... I can't believe how stupid people are.

It's getting like the Movie "Idiocracy".
We're not far off that.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Oil

Every time I've ever followed a GPS its either gotten me lost or taken me a round-about way with more turns then is necessary.

They really are not dependable and yet I see people all the time taking their GPS directions as though they are absolute truth.

So who's controlling who? Seems like that machine has a great deal of control over some, some are dumb enough to nearly drive off a cliff

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I'm amazed he found a stretch of road, even a dirt road, with no other cars on it.

The UK reminded me of one slowly moving circular gridlock nightmare. Talk about overcrowding !

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
If a computer told you to jump off a cliff, would you?

Beside the story says he was driving a 50,000$ beamer. I wouldnt take my benz or beamer down any road that wasnt designed for a road car. But if you do than your an idiot.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I only use GPS when im going to somewhere i dunno the way.. And ive got to say that in one situation it saved the day (well, the night)when i got a bit lost, offroad, and it took me back to the right way

GPS are good and handy, but you must pay attention to the road itself all times

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
MAPS! It seems like no one knows left form right on a map!! hell i was reading maps well before i got my liscense!!!
You know whats really sad? ive talked to teens today, about GPS and old fashioned using yuor eyes and brain/maps..they cant fathem reading a map gps is so accurate nad gets them their fast, blah blah. So, i say soemtimes..oh really..well what are yuo going to do one day, if thiers a disaster and gps isnt working"? be your going to wish you knew how to read a street map..and its so damn simlpe...gps has made the younger generation dumber*

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

Man it seems pretty sad that most teenagers haven't got a clue how use a map, but when it comes to technology they seem to know it all. Then when disaster strikes maybe they might finally start thinking for themselves or not.

[edit on 9/24/2009 by Big Oil]

[edit on 9/24/2009 by Big Oil]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
What of the GPS markings on our doors?

Think the night hawks will have better luck finding our doors than this poor guy and his driving?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join