It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What US State Would You Choose?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I've been trying to decide where to move within the US, taking into consideration all the shtf scenarios, resources available, current state laws, rural areas, climate, etc.
There's much discussion about what country to go to, but not enough about what state to go to.

I'm thinking New England or Oregon. Seems laws are changing so quickly these days, certain picks I had are no longer options.

So, what state would you go to?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
i dont think it makes that much difference - states to avoid are state of panic and state of confusion- they are already full

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by serendipitynow

I often wonder the same thing, but I really don't think you need to worry about State Laws in a SHTF case.. laws won't matter at that point. Look at population and resources as well as climate and capability of the surroundings. JMHO though.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Texas or Alaska...Alaska seems to be the last great frontier to me...though any state in the west would be good

I've always wanted to get out of CA but I'm probably stuck here, as my gf is a beach loving Cali girl girl

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
TEXAS!! Baby hands down!

I couldn't imagine a better place, perhaps hawaii but...eh not really.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
New York and DC are great places for SHTF situations from what I heard

seriously though check this out, it might be what your looking for.
Best places to live 2009

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   

The safest and best places to go are the Rocky Mountain states-Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Utah. These are some of the best places to live. They are honorable independent, hard-working, simple, down to earth people who take no crap off anyone trying to impose their will on someone else. They are pro individual freedom,constitutionally oriented, pro gun, pro states rights. They are industrious and help take care of their neighbor. We teach our children the correct way. We teach them their ABCs, math, science, english, history but we also teach them self-sufficiency, respect, integrity, honesty and dignity. The people are willing to use the barter system and know how to use it. Most of us are ready for a crisis.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Texas. No state income taxes in Texas.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I would have said Texas, but it is a little iffy right now, so I will go with Oklahoma! It is like Texas-Lite!
Plus you have the Indian Reservations as sovereign land, and you have a lot of caves and lakes!

TX, OK, KS, MO, AR are the top choices IMHO. Then comes Dixie, LA, MS, AL, GA, and N. FL, KY, TN, and the Carolinas. AZ, NM, CO, Utah, Montana, the Dakotas, follow along nicely.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
AL is iffy right now, Birmingham is like the Chicago of the south with it's corrupt politics. The north of the state is pretty nice. If you stay away from the cities it's awesome. Streams with EDIBLE fish in them and everything, yummy critters prancing in the woods.

I prefer AR but I was born there in the hills so, it's in my blood. Plus AR attracts outcasts and loonies from other states (especially western states) so you get to meet all kinds of cool folks. The deer are bigger than in AL but fewer, the fishing is about the same.
if you are looking for a SHTF escape definitely stick to the nothern 3rd of the state.

Oregon would be the ONLY west coast state I would consider, due to politics.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by hotrodturbo7]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I'm going to go with Oregon also. Although S can HTF in a number of different ways, I think nuclear fallout is the biggest concern. Take a look at these maps:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/34bb6879c45f.jpg[/atsimg]
www.futurerevealed.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9b68fb8af51a.jpg[/atsimg]
ocw.nd.edu...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2aa2e1ac1277.jpg[/atsimg]
www.infomercantile.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/83dcf7219847.jpg[/atsimg]
www.atomicarchive.com...

In all of those maps, most of Oregon is predicted to receive the least possible effect of nuclear fallout.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Im staying in oregon. If you know how to survive around here, there is not a better place to be, but if you arent familiar with it, it will eat you up really quickly. No need to worry about tons of people flocking here from other areas-they wont last long and will only serve to provide me sith supplies after they drop

There is everything you could possibly need to self-sustain off the land, the forests are beyond vast, so you can get lost forever if you wanted to.

edit because i should learn to proof read

[edit on 24-9-2009 by captaintyinknots]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Born in Texas, Raised in Texas and by God I will die in Texas.

No SHTF situation is going run me out of the place that I love the most.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Guadalupe Mountains area of Texas is very beautiful. Living in this area you can take advantage of the sophistication of New Mexico and the freedom of Texas.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Extreme northern Ca. and Oregon. Northern California is very different from the rest of the state. You have a wealth of of untouched forest and natural resources.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
You still have the draconian politics though. I'm normally pretty heavily opposed to bashing "left wing" and "right wing" ideologies, but California just pushes the level of liberal bullcrap right to the edge of reason and beyond.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by serendipitynow
I've been trying to decide where to move within the US, taking into consideration all the shtf scenarios, resources available, current state laws, rural areas, climate, etc.
There's much discussion about what country to go to, but not enough about what state to go to.

I'm thinking New England or Oregon. Seems laws are changing so quickly these days, certain picks I had are no longer options.

So, what state would you go to?

take a look at idaho....not so much in the northern end because of the snow and cold winters but because it is also a very strong red state and has gun rights that will not be surrendered..... good quality of living, and a good place to raise children, as well as low cost of living by comparison to some states....

Boise is a medium sized city with a little of everything.... good fishing, hunting, land is fair in price..... so it is something to consider..

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Thanks so much for all of your input.
I'm currently in limbo for a permanent residence- by choice, and honestly, I'm at a loss as to where to go. Rugged territory and harsh climates don't bother me as I'm accustomed to all of that.
Current concerns are general crime rates, freedom, acceptance of new-comers, a safe place to raise older children, & a good portion of a population who won't tolerate losing personal freedoms.

I prefer to be near water.

People have been trying to send me to Oregon for years - I am going to have to check it out soon.

I really don't want to live in a big city for obvious reasons.

No comments on New England at all...MA is out because of all the changes going on. Was thinking Maine or New Hampshire...any input at all?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
So where exactly is this state of "New England" located?

I would probably head for the Republic of Texas as I have relatives there and it can survive on it's own.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Personally, I want to move to Wyoming. But I live in Oregon currently. And I can say easily; It's not a bad choice. It's close to the ocean, has plenty of rivers to fish from. A very big rural area, lots of forest to live in.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join