It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 of the World's Strangest Plant Species

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by phi1618
Personally i found alot of these really really cool. My favorite is the shy plant, just think it would be awesome to have one of those n the house
i could see myself not being able to walk by it without touching it lol.

anyway enjoy

While on my camping trip 2 weeks ago, I saw some of the "shy plant". I pointed it out to my wife and she laughed...until I touched it and the leaflets closed up immediately upon contact. It's a cool plant, but I would personally rank it #10 on the strangeness scale of the 10 plant's you have shown...but maybe it's because I have seen this plant many times in the wild here in Texas; whereas, I have not seen the other ones in the wild.

Nice find. S&F

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Oh right on!!

Amazing the "walking onion" is not here lmao!!
I have several of species here that have bloomed that are not supposed to in most homes.
One which I have called to ask about, it is a cousin of the needle plant. However I found out when it blooms and goes to seed it releases these needles and a rash developed on the skin. This is a common house plant, just doesn't bloom much for people I was told.
Another has this pointy flower, that is supposed to stink, but my smeller doesn't work well. I through it in a corner and forgot about it, until these strange flowers appeared.

This is a very cool post and thank you so much for posting it!! I want that plant that closes up when touched :0)

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
very fascinating indeed, my fav is the dancing plant, i could quite happily have that on my windowsill and watch it dance all night.

Has anybody ever watched the film "dennis"? the one with the naughty kid? there is a plant in there if i remember rightly that only flowers in 100+ years? i cant seem to find it anywhere, or is it just made up for that film?

S+F

this is the plant i was thinking of
www.imdb.com...
anybody know the name of it?
[edit on 24-9-2009 by GezinhoKiko]

[edit on 24-9-2009 by GezinhoKiko]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Nice info.

Thanks for these pics.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I am surprised the Carnivorous plant Nepenthes is not listed here either. There are some amazing varieties of this plant, with many being very unusual in size and shape.

I have seen one that big in a photo that it has a kitten sitting inside of it, and in the wild there are species which trap and digest jungle rats, with one new species recently discovered and named after the famous naturalist David Attenburough.

I grow a couple of smaller Nepenthes species in my back garden. They are a fascinating plant.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWretched

apparently you just thieved that image lol, it wont let me view it, it says it is banwidth theft

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
S & F - Wonder what's the potential that a date would go well if you could bring a bouquet of one of these plants instead!
"I'm an eccentric botanist, y'know."

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I really want to make a little dancing plant section on my desk in my office @ work.
When all else fails to alleviate boredom I could see myself pretty easily entertained with the plant and some background music.

S+F for a good thread

[edit on 24-9-2009 by n1zzzn]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevilJin
S & F - Wonder what's the potential that a date would go well if you could bring a bouquet of one of these plants instead!
"I'm an eccentric botanist, y'know."

I would love it if a date handed me one of these, like a venus fly trap would be better than roses
Anyone is able to give roses. Venus Fly Trap now well that would be some thought!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

Those bottle trees make that area look like an alien landscape, the only thing missing is the moon in the background or lets say a large ringed planet. We talk about aliens all the time and alien biospheres, but if you look at these images and others you will start to think that maybe maybe we are looking at aliens all the time.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Wow! These were amazing! I think the first plant, with its two huge leaves, the "onion of the desert", was my personal favorite. To survive such a hostile environment is most impressive. Living up to 500 years!

I'm glad there aren't any flowers whose smell resembles that of carrion in my area-- no way could I handle that. And if one could have the "shy plant" as a house plant, I'd want one in a heartbeat.

www.caringlawyers.com...
Pittsburgh Wrongful Death Lawyer

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by GezinhoKiko

Now I am not sure about this, but that plant looks like the baby plant before it got big in "The Little Shop Of Horrors",you no that movie where the plant grows and demands to be fed.....
If it is , it would be fitting to such a show about a little monster kid lol!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
ok, everyone reading this thread NEEDS check out this other thread:

Secret Life of Plants

...and, you need to watch the movie about the book, which i found and posted in that thread, here:

Google Video Link

www.abovetopsecret.com...

you'll never look at plants in the same way, ever again!!

i promise!

[edit on 24-9-2009 by adrenochrome]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

probably alot more expensive too
think of all the money youd save on fly swatters tho

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

Star and Flag. I love plants and these are some really cool ones. I wouldn't mind having a couple of those Welwitschia mirabilis, anything that can live without water and gives food too is a prize for sure. Thank you for sharing

Shea

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mcgrower

Im not too sure about that being the same one, i know which one you meen tho, "feed me seymour!!! feed me now!!!" although i could be wrong.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join