It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lots of photos of Worlds Largest Submarine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I ran across a site that has probably a hundred or more photos of the World's Largest Submarines and I thought it might be interesting to many ATS members to see how big such a submarine is. There were 6 of these submarines and now there are supposedly only 3 in use.

englishrussia.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Wooooooooooooooooooweeeeeeeeeeeee!

That thing is massive!

I wonder why you would want such a large sub.

Re-supply? Perhaps the ability to stay out there after nuke war. lol I dunno.

Wouldn't that scare the hell out of you to see that slip past you beneath the surface looking down from a cruise ship or something.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
While I don't think it is the largest submarine ever, those photos are suspicious. I know the cold war is over and everything but shouldn't some of this technology still be classified?

For example, this image clearly shows the nuclear reactor:

I can easily make out each of the individual clusters of fuel rods and/or control rods.

Great pictures though!

Jon

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

They are huge! I am suprised the thing can actually submerge.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The Russians tend to build things very large no matter what it is. Anyways, at least they can tell the world that large objects can be made and work.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
That cat in the first pic looked Russian

Anyway I know its out of action right now, but man, some parts of that thing looked like a death trap. Other parts were really nice...They might wanna clean the rust up before they put the pics on the web

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Jesus, I went looking through some of the other pics on that site. Truly beautiful countryside, but anyone...ANYONE who says that we're running out of resources only needs to look to all the abandoned iron and steel of the former Soviet Union. If we recycled a third of what's sitting out there rusting, we could build ships the size of Borg cubes

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by midnightbrigade
Jesus, I went looking through some of the other pics on that site. Truly beautiful countryside, but anyone...ANYONE who says that we're running out of resources only needs to look to all the abandoned iron and steel of the former Soviet Union. If we recycled a third of what's sitting out there rusting, we could build ships the size of Borg cubes

I once proposed that the purpose of human existence is to return the earth to its usual carbon-dioxide rich and oxygen poor atmosphere. As a species, our chief activities for the last 10k years have been the liberation of carbon-rich compounds and iron ore from the earth. We burn the carbon-rich compounds, in the process adding carbon to the atmosphere, in order to purify the iron ore. From the moment the iron smelted and made into steel, it will start oxidizing. By rusting, our steel creations will slowly work to remove molecular oxygen from the atmosphere.

Jon

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
It makes one wonder how long it will take until some other government or drug lords purchase these old subs and put them back into action?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I am not very impressed with these photos of this Russian Submarine.

It is immediately obvious as to the techniques of noise quieting incorporated here. Mostly the lack thereof.
Also the swimming pool is a very dumb idea. It looks good initially. But to keep a swimming pool like this in operation means large quantities of fresh water from a distillate system. On a nuclear submarine fresh water is at a premium for hotel services and or reactor feed water. It is also this way on large nuclear aircraft carriers. Unless this pool is configured for salt water. This would also mean extra equipment to support the pool features...electricity, pumps et al. Space is at a premium on every submarine. Much better to use the space for food or storage of critical spares. A swimming pool would also add to the potential for unnecessary noise and re ballasting/trim. Such a feature while good press ...would be secured most of the time.

Those are photos of a reactor?? Wow!! Ok..if you say so.

What is missing from the photos are specifics of the engine rooms. I can understand this as this would be classified. So too would be the reactor configuration as part of the propulsion chain.

A whole lot of hard mounted equipment in these photos as well. I can see why they would need alot of tile technology on the hull. This is also not a fast running submarine.

Interesting photo of the missile hatch with the number 19 on it. My first instinct is to look for the locking or safety devices by which the hatch is gagged or safety pinned into the open position. Thus people can safely enter the hatch area to work on this system without being crushed to death if the hatch should close or be closed accidentally.

Go down in the photos to about photo 21. You see a piece of pipe with another stainless steel pipe coming out of the side of it. Notice that the fasteners/bolts are not rusted. This means some kind of stainless or nickle fasteners. Notice also the large pipe out of which this smaller pipe originates. Notice how it appears to be manufactured out of square sections fitted or welded/seamed together. This is how ventilation systems are often fitted together. Notice also that up to the point it goes down into the bottom of the picture the construction appears to be somewhat light or not heavy duty. Suddenly there are large heavy duty bolts and nuts at a flange. This indicates that this is the location of a heavy duty valve.
Notice also that the nuts have significant locking tabs bent down onto the pipe flange and also on the other side..to the sides of the nuts. This is how important fasteners are prevented from backing out or loosening on important critical systems.

Notice also behind this green painted stainless pipe..the curved surface. This appears to be part of an elliptical bulkhead indicating that this may be the pressure hull. All of what you see in this photo is in a free flood area....under sea water pressure.

If you look on the floor ...you see some grey blocks. These appear to be zinc anodes for obvious reasons.

What is also telling is the smaller pipe running vertical in the photo. There is a support hanger running from the left to right and attached to this stainless pipe. This hanger is in very poor condition and it is not good practice to mix two types of metal as such without significant paint or corrosion treatment. You can see the hanger rubber or whatever material they use to surround the pipe. Not a lot of it used here.

If you have seen a significant number of piping runs on boats like this ...the piping runs here are significant and telling.

These boats will not be going anywhere soon....not without a significant capital investment. I don't think drug smugglers are interested in a set up like this. To much work involved to keep them going or just to get underway. Drug smugglers lack the discipline to run systems like this. This is why they are in more instant gratification careers...like drugs. Running something like this would take a lot of postponed gratification/discipline to keep and maintain. Not the bailiwick of drug people.

Thanks,
Orangetom

new topics

top topics

join