It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India’s lunar mission finds evidence of water on the Moon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Well I'll belive there is only small amounts when there is proof of it.

If someone said there was water at the equator of the Moon 24 hours ago most would have said that was silly. I'm not saying there is an underground river or anything just that we don't really know.

I still don't understand why some are so quick to suggest that the objects in our solar system are so dead, boring and uninteresting. The methane on Mars is a good illustration of this. I read a article on Space.com about a month ago where scientists were grasping at straws to explain it as nonbiological. The reasoning is that it is only in certain locations and not spread evenly over all of Mars. Why is it not possible that the life producing methane wouldn't be found in only regional areas? Why would life be evenly distributed all over mars? By that reasoning I could say that palm trees don't really exist because they aren't seen in my backyard.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I really think NASA has no option but to come out about the water i do not think India wants to play there game.
NASA is keeping allot more secrets about the moon but for how long there is allot of countries planing to go to the moon and they all want glory.
So NASA speak now or on your head be it.

THANKYOU

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
That should show us how NASA keeps us out of the Loop. Geez, they visited the MOON in 1969, even before they Visited they must have known that there was some water.

It is funny how it took a foreign country to bring this to light when we the U.S. have been sending probes and visiting the Moon since the 1960s.

This only proves that Conspiracies do exist, NASA knew, they always did! In order for them to get it out to the public it has to be forced out of them. Geez, what a world huh....

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Actually, there's a chance there could be a LOT of water underneath the surface of the Moon at the polar regions.

That has two implications: 1) We can now use the water for human habitation and use it to make liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen rocket fuel, which right there drastically cuts the cost of flying back from the Moon to Earth; and 2) the very slim possibility that we could even find very primitive lifeforms in the deep lunar soil in the near polar regions.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter The traces detected by these spacecraft are too small to be useful to life, we're talking about molecular amounts. I highly doubt any water-requiring life could survive on that amount while being steadily bathed in ionizing radiation.

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong all the time?

UPDATE

This just in from NASA

WATER on the MOON....

Now I want all you skeptics out there who have given me and others grief over using color to highlight images to APOLOGIZE
... either that are be fair and write NASA and bug them too

These images show a very young lunar crater on the side of the moon that faces away from Earth, as viewed by NASA's Moon Mineralogy Mapper on the Indian Space Research Organization's Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft. On the left is an image showing brightness at shorter infrared wavelengths. On the right, the distribution of water-rich minerals (light blue) is shown around a small crater. Both water- and hydroxyl-rich materials were found to be associated with material ejected from the crater.

Credits: ISRO/NASA/JPL-Caltech/USGS/Brown Univ.

I DEFINITELY am beginning to like these guys

www.nasa.gov...

Of course with all that water NASA tells us is on the moon, there must be atmosphere to stop it from simply sublimating like it did on Mars when Phoenix exposed that water ice... sublimated in seconds

What I find REALLY amusing is all the people that say now "Oh yeah we knew about that for years" I bet I could find hundreds of posts aback in 2006 where these people said 'no way'

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Yawl are firmly in 'Third" right now

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Now, now zorgon, you're smarter than that....

I cannot believe you actually THINK that NASA false color image is showing actual liquid water???!!???

I mean...their own despcription makes that quite clear.

Now, I've learned a lot, and found this:

Magmatic water or juvenile water is water which exists within and in equilibrium with a magma or water rich volatile fluids which are derived from a magma.

This article is relating, of course, to what has been observed here on Earth. BUT, there should be corollaries to the ancient Lunar magma, now cooled and solidified into igneous rock....

This magmatic water is released to the atmosphere during a volcanic eruption. Magmatic water may also be released as hydrothermal fluids during the late stages of magmatic crystallization or solidification within the Earth's crust. The crystallization of hydroxyl bearing amphibole and mica minerals acts to contain part of the magmatic water within a solidified igneous rock. Ultimate sources of this magmatic water includes water and hydrous minerals in rocks melted during subduction as well as primordial water brought up from the deep mantle.

en.wikipedia.org...

No need for an atmosphere to prevent the sublimation, as I doubt there is actual water ice existing on the Lunar surface, exposed to the near vacuum.

If I read that correctly, the molecules....H2O and HO are bound up within the other molecules composing the rock.

They (the hydroxyl molecules) are not "free ranging"...

[edit on 26 September 2009 by weedwhacker]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
www.spaceref.com...

Three Separate Spacecraft Have Detected Significant Water On the Moon: Why Has NASA Waited So Long To Say So?

In another paper, previously unreleased 1999 flyby data from Cassini ("Detection of Adsorbed Water and Hydroxyl on the Moon", Roger N. Clark) shows hydroxyl concentrations on "the sunlit face of the Moon". Water was detected in concentrations as high as "10 to 1,000 parts per million" and according to the paper "Regardless of its origin, water is found on the lunar surface in areas previously thought to have been depleted in volatiles."

The Chandrayaan-1 paper ("Character and Spatial Distribution of OH/H2O on the Surface of the Moon Seen by M3 on Chandrayaan-1", C. M. Pieters et al) says "data suggests that the formation and retention of OH and H2O is an ongoing surficial process. OH/H2O production processes may feed polar cold traps and make the lunar regolith a candidate source of volatiles for human exploration."

It would seem that NASA has been sitting on a lot of data confirming with regard to the Moon - in some cases, for years. Meanwhile, a lot of people are trying to downplay the importance of these findings in and around NASA at the same time it would seem that the Moon has been revealed as being much more useful than had been previously released publicly. NASA's Science Mission Directorate has some explaining to do.

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Mon Sep 28 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
I cannot believe you actually THINK that NASA false color image is showing actual liquid water???!!???

What I believe is NASA used BLUE because 90% of people will look at it and say "water"

top topics

<< 1   >>

join