It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India’s lunar mission finds evidence of water on the Moon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
India’s lunar mission finds evidence of water on the Moon

Source Link
Snippet from source:
"The search for water was one of the mission’s main objectives, but it was a surprise nonetheless, scientists said.The unmanned craft was equipped with Nasa’s Moon Mineralogy Mapper, designed specifically to search for water by picking up the electromagnetic radiation emitted by minerals. The M3 also made the unexpected discovery that water may still be forming on the surface of the Moon, according to scientists familiar with the mission."

information on Nasa’s Moon Mineralogy Mapper: m3.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Maybe this has something to do with NASA's planned press conference tomorrow afternoon regarding whatever information they've been withholding. Tomorrow is hopefully going to be an exciting afternoon, I hope it's not just to say they found more rocks and dust

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Estharik
Maybe this has something to do with NASA's planned press conference tomorrow afternoon regarding whatever information they've been withholding. Tomorrow is hopefully going to be an exciting afternoon, I hope it's not just to say they found more rocks and dust

That would be great if they said something earth shattering. I agree I hope it is not just about rocks and dust. I hope MikeSingh didnt leave here to go to NASA and try to convince the world that a bunch of rocks are alien skulls or wrenches from a lost civilization.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Official: water has been found on the Moon.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
This is news, how new.. well here's a NASA press release from 1998 that talks about it:

"On 5 March 1998 it was announced that data returned by the Lunar Prospector spacecraft indicated that water ice might be present at both the north and south lunar poles, in agreement with Clementine results for the south pole reported in November 1996.

In a Science magazine article (5) on 29 November 1996, it was announced that interpretation of data from a Clementine spacecraft experiment suggested the possibility of ice on the surface of the Moon."

1998 NASA Article

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
One big difference is that they are no longer saying that the water is just at the poles in permenately shadowed craters.

Now they are saying it is almost everywhere!

I think 10 degrees above and below the Moon's equator to be more accurate.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
might wanna take a look at this ... it was in a post here on ATS eariler that i say
200,000 year old Statue FOund on the MoOn

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
too bad theres no geothermal activity. I wonder if its safe to drink?

[edit on 23-9-2009 by Totalstranger]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Its a spacestation up there! Offcourse it is water there also! we are 50 years behind the truth!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Where there is water.. there is life !!!!

Could there be some sort of life form on the moon? maybe the type that can withstand the lack of atmosphere and harsh moon environment?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by InterconnecteD
might wanna take a look at this ... it was in a post here on ATS eariler that i say

Have you read about this?? I believe it was a hoax. Here is a link to a thread from ATS that discuss the fakery
of it. The thread is closed but you can still read it. Its about 14 pages but I believe this was a fake.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
This is great news although i think they knew there was water there a long time ago but never mind that because this is better news than just water at the poles.

A surprising amount of water has been found to exist in the Moon's soil.
Data from three spacecraft, including India's Chandrayaan probe, shows that very fine films of H20 coat the particles that make up the lunar dirt.
The quantity is tiny but could become a useful resource for astronauts wishing to live on the Moon, scientists say.

From news.bbc.co.uk...
I still think there is more than water up there but i do not think they will ever till us that unless they had no choice but one day you never know i live in hope

THANKYOU

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorbash

Where there is water.. there is life !!!!

Could there be some sort of life form on the moon? maybe the type that can withstand the lack of atmosphere and harsh moon environment?

If there is it's almost certainly not in these regions of the moon, and if it's in a place where water is more abundant like at the poles it would be unlike any extremophiles we're familiar with. The traces detected by these spacecraft are too small to be useful to life, we're talking about molecular amounts. I highly doubt any water-requiring life could survive on that amount while being steadily bathed in ionizing radiation. The permanently shadowed lunar poles might at least provide some shielding from solar radiation, but I still don't see how it's possible given the lack of useful energy in those regions. It's interesting from a chemistry point of view, and because it points to large amounts being available at the poles, but even with processing the amount elsewhere is probably too small per ton of regolith to be practical for use by future explorers.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

I disagree with you on the amount of water on the moon i was watching a segment on BBC news this morning and on SKY news and the way they were talking there is alot of water in the soil not just molecular amounts.
That is just my opinion.
Where there is water.. there is life i absolutely agree with this.
Just have to wait and see what NASA go to say on the water subject interesting times indeed or will NASA burst the bubble and make up some bull as per usual to make it sound not so good.

THANKYOU

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I think what's interesting about the "water" find is that it was unexpected. What they found were hydroxyls, basically water molecules missing a hydrogen atom. The amount is pretty miniscule, and seems dependent on the solor wind for its generation. You can read more here:

www.universetoday.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by InterconnecteD

Have you read about this?? I believe it was a hoax. Here is a link to a thread from ATS that discuss the fakery
of it. The thread is closed but you can still read it. Its about 14 pages but I believe this was a fake.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I read that and I agree with you, it is a big hoax.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by Gorbash]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mars1

i think i read for about 1 ton of surface rock you could get 1 litre of water.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The reality is that no one in this thread or anyone else knows how much water is there.

The instuments used could only penetrate a very thin layer of the surface so that is the only place we know for sure it exists. The water could go much deeper than just a thin layer but the instruments can't see into the regolith to confirm or deny this.

Further more the solar wind theorey is just that... a theorey not a fact. In the press conferance they said that it is possible that the water is seeping up from under the surface. In other words there could be resivouirs of water underground for all we know.

Interesting how some are so quick to say there is very little water. They don't really know that, and if the past is any indication then they will probably eventually be proven wrong once again.

Why not think of the possibilities rather than allways seeing the glass as half empty... or in this case the Moon.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mars1
I disagree with you on the amount of water on the moon i was watching a segment on BBC news this morning and on SKY news and the way they were talking there is alot of water in the soil not just molecular amounts.

According to universe today, it's only one quart of water per ton of regolith, a concentration of 1000 ppm (0.001 percent), so we're talking needing a whole lot of dirt to get just a little water. The theory is that it's just a molecularly thin film within the regolith. By comparison, you can find anywhere from 1-9% water in desert sand on earth (a 3% example in a dry year: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...).

[edit on 24-9-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by fieryjaguarpaw
The reality is that no one in this thread or anyone else knows how much water is there.

The instuments used could only penetrate a very thin layer of the surface so that is the only place we know for sure it exists. The water could go much deeper than just a thin layer but the instruments can't see into the regolith to confirm or deny this.

We've hit the moon with some very large impactors over the years and we've never seen large amounts of water from those impacts.

Further more the solar wind theorey is just that... a theorey not a fact. In the press conferance they said that it is possible that the water is seeping up from under the surface. In other words there could be resivouirs of water underground for all we know.

Could be, but there are reasons why that is less likely, including previous impact evidence and a failure to detect such in seismic studies. I'll believe the seepage theory when there is evidence for it.

Interesting how some are so quick to say there is very little water.

There's no real reason to think otherwise (and some reasons to think there isn't), at least at mid-latitudes. The poles are a different story. I'll believe the "large amounts" theory when there is proof.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by ngchunter]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join