It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India's lunar mission finds evidence of water on the Moon

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Some sciencetist says that the moon
is 1 billion years older than the Earth

Whoh, just think about that

Here's CLEMENTINE - USGS IMAGES

astrogeology.usgs.gov...

there's a bunch of intresting pic's there

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

How big do people think the earth looks from the moon?

I thought the earth was bigger than the moon?

www.alanbeangallery.com...

Looking up at the Earth, I could see my home 240,000 miles away. I moved into my spacecraft¹s shadow to get a better view without squinting. It was a brilliant blue and white world floating in a shiney black sky. From this great distance, the collective problems of an entire planet are small beyond recognition. If there really are angels, is this the view they see? Reaching up, I balanced the earth between my gloved thumb and forefinger. Our world, the whole earth was safely cradled in my fingertips.

Isn't that how the moon is to us? I've done this before with the moon. I would think that the earth would look bigger in the moon sky than the moon looks in the earth sky.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by fieryjaguarpaw

Hmm...you have a point. This could be a possible explanation for some or all of the T.L.P. (Transient Lunar Phenomena, Bright flashes of light of on the lunar surface), sightings down through the centuries.

The sun, at a certain angle relative to an ice deposit or area(s) of impact melted silicates (as you say, essentially glass), would probably create all manner of flashes of light of differing colour and intensity, depending on impurities and presence of water ice and so on.

Of course, it could be something else entirely.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by romanmel

...you add nothing to the topic.

On the contrary, in the very post you "replied" to, I offered some valid information...also free, BTW.

It is necessary to balance out against blatant misinformation.

The Internet is full if it...misinformation, I mean. Would not be helpful to those seeking to learn, if they just receive bad data.

Oh now, come on
this website is a Conspiracy website,
what do you expect? it's such a silly thing if anybody that want's
valid information, acording to the main stream knowledge would
study these stuff from this website

People come here because they think diffrent, out of the box,
they want a place that they can have alternative information,
the Internet is already full loaded with mainstream stuff,
just get with it, come on man . . .

[edit on 24/9/09 by BlackRosEmyth]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackRosEmyth

I agree wholehartedly. Some people get off on being the "world's foremost authority." The same NASA scientists that for 40 years misled us about water on the moon can hardly be trusted.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
LIVE NASA - Discussing WATER on MOON NOW!

go to:

www.nasa.gov...
(Select NASA TV - Media Channel)

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by agnain

Nice picture of the moon.

But shouldn't the terminator be a little more...diffuse?

We shouldn't be seeing a razor sharp divide between the lit features on the surface, and the inky black of the unlit portion of the moon. There would naturally be a blending of light and dark, an area of 'dusk' or twilight if you like.

Looks very much like a lazy mask and paste job to my untrained eyes.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
This news is totally amazing.

I'm glad to see that other space agencies are reaching out to the people with their info.

I don't think we are realizing the full implications of this confirmed finding here...I mean, with Jupiter's moon Euuropa and Mars, we now have many celestial bodies in our solar system with water on it.

If theres's that many places with water in our little solar system, we could safely presume that water isn't rare at all in the Universe. Therefore, it reinforces the idea that there's life somewhere, intelligent or not.

Also, I think we might be watching at the beginning of disclosure. My guess is that we'll see a cascade of new scientific ''findings'' from the space agencies in the near future.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by freighttrain

All i see is a 'waiting for video' message.

Nothing streams.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo
reply to post by Redeemer

There is a reason why Greenland was rightfully named.

Of course there is!

Greenland

The name Greenland comes from Scandinavian settlers. In the Icelandic sagas, it is said that Norwegian-born Erik the Red was exiled from Iceland for murder. He, along with his extended family and thralls, set out in ships to find the land that was rumoured to be to the northwest. After settling there, he named the land Grœnland ("Greenland") in the hope that the pleasant name would attract settlers.[37][38] Greenland was also called Gruntland ("Ground-land") and Engronelant (or Engroneland) on early maps. Whether green is an erroneous transcription of grunt ("ground"), which refers to shallow bays, or vice versa, is not known. The southern portion of Greenland (not covered by glacier) is indeed very green in the summer and was probably even greener in Erik's time during the Medieval Warm Period.

How did Greenland get it's name ?

To stop new emigrant move in, resident there intentionally give their land a name that make people feel that it was a cold and lifeness land - Iceland. At the same time, they give a name to a Northern Island which cover by snow all the year - Greenland, to deceive more emigrants to move there.

The name"Greenland" is one of history's great geographical scams,

Why is Iceland named Iceland and Greenland named Greenland?

[edit on 9/24/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by imdeceived

No one has ever said water is rare. In fact we find it just about everywhere we bother to look for it, even in interstellar space. We've suspected it on the moon for more than ten years. We've known about it on Mars for a long time. Comets, in good part, are made of it.

The trick is finding it in its liquid state. That has not yet been done. Europa may have a sea of liquid water under its ice but we do not know that for certain.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
it seams to me that the same frozen comets that bombarded the earth also hit the moon....

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Okay, so I've been watching these NASA people talk and I have a VERY BIG problem with their presentation!

At the least, they say there is only about 16 ounces of water per 1,000 pounds of dirt. So, they say, that is not very much.

Maybe compared to Earth and its oceans it may not seem like an awful lot, but have you EVER SEEN 1,000 pounds of dirt?!

It's NOTHING! It's TINY. Do they mean 1,000 earth pounds or 1,000 moon pounds? If that is the case that weight is different, then volume is different as well! In that case, 1,000 moon pounds would be six times more (which still isn't that big at all!! 3 tons of dirt wouldn't get me a driveway!) and then 16 ounces of water actually would be 16 times 6 which is 96 ounces of water. So, the ratio is the same anyway. No matter how you look at it, that is a WHOLE $&!# ton of water!

They are trying to play this off as if it is nothing. Their graphs and their analyses I understand are a part of their presentation, but it is almost like they are avoiding at all costs having to answer for this. Let's do another calculation. However heavy all the dirt on the moon is, there is an amount of water that weighs 1/1000 of all that dirt. So, if there are 100,000,000 tons of dirt on the moon, how much water does that mean?

By the way, they try to play it off like there isn't a LAKE or anything. So, all the water is spread evenly all over the moon. That's how they are presenting it by saying 1 part this 1,000 parts that! Does anyone ever measure anything on earth like this except for recipes where everything is supposed to be mixed together evenly?

Here is what I think. I think, and judging by the looks on their faces they know, that there is much more to all of this than their silly press release. WHAT THE HELL does any embargo matter on THIS KIND of information?! What kind of retarded have we become?

Do people believe that this information would be a detriment to our security if it was released any earlier than today? Does the press pay off a company which eats OUR tax money to hold onto information so they can prep for the blow-out? Does it really take 6 months to tell a story as simple and unsatisfying as this? Really?

What is the POINT in telling us any of this stuff? Why does the public give a damn about pointless little tid-bits like these? Why are we wasting air-time, tax-payer money, and our own time watching these people give us as little information as they possibly can (because we ALL know they WANT to just explode, watch them!) while they think to themselves, "I just want to go home, this sucks."

What a farce. What a stupid waste. I am so angry right now. Yes, I know that people are stupid and blind and I expect this to happen. But, by God, give us a break. I NEED this. I need for these people to get it over with. IF not only to verify my apparently insane imagination and feelings, but also so we can move on to these next step. The number 1 reason that people SUCK is because of IMMOBILITY. I think people are good. I think people want to "evolve" so-to-speak. I think people want to learn. I think people want to live, and love, and share. But, because of greedy, stupid, freakin' jerks converting others into their selfish and retarded religion of Meme-me, the only way to progress anywhere in this world is to kiss a big, brown hole on a derrier!

Okay. So, this is what India's lunar mission means to me.

A revealing of Nothing.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

On the contrary. I think the scientists seem to be pretty excited about it. Myself, I find it fascinating.

[edit on 9/24/2009 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Are you joking? Are you always joking?

It is not necessarily a sign of strength or intelligence to be stale in your expressions.

Those scientists are NOT excited. It is clear. I know what excited looks like. I am human, too.

As far as the information being fascinating, IT IS NOTHING NEW. You said it yourself. You are deluding yourself to the 10th degree.

This is kindergarten show and tell, and that is it.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
No one has ever said water is rare.

Hello Phage,

I beg to differ. As far as anything we've ever gotten from NASA, it's always been drip drip drip. The "conspiracists" have been telling us about these things for quite a long time, much to the scorn of yourself and many other skeptics. "Water on the Moon" is but one of these things.

Don't you find it the least bit suspicious that from all those soil samples brought back from the lunar surface way back when from the 60's that we have just supposedly been made aware of this "discovery", now?

Here's the lame excuse we've been given:

“To some extent, we were fooled,” said Taylor, who has studied the original Apollo missions. “Since the boxes leaked, we just assumed the water we found was from contamination with terrestrial air.”

www.nst.com.my...

Since the "boxes leaked"?

I would've imagined that great care would have been taken for those samples in order to ensure accuracy of the results. I don't buy that supposedly all the Apollo missions that brought samples all had "leaky boxes". That should be insulting to anyone's intelligence.

At any rate, have a nice day.

Best,
M

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Wow I mean wow' I never knew Moon had water and even that the surface of moon was anything other than grey. Maybe I didn't research better or just took the stuff told to me thru school, univer. newspaper, magezines and websites now that moon is dry and is grey.

Great find op S&F for you. Also this is really a big achievement for Indian Space Research Org. who is still in it's infancy n comparison to other countries on Earth such as USA, UK, Japan, China etc. I noticed that on ISRO website it has a link to Right To Information Act, which means anyone can ask ISRO to divulge info. regarding such findings and more details etc. Does NASA has any such links too?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Hiya!!!

This is a really good question, thinks for expanding thoughtfulness!

Isn't that how the moon is to us? I've done this before with the moon.

I can only guess (since obviously I've never been in space) that the view of the Earth, from the Moon, is relative.

I mean....I started thinking of "The Kids in the Hall"....and, "I'm crushing your head!!!" LOL!

Hold your arm out, and say, put the Moon between your thumb and forefinger....how far away is your hand?? It is relative to the size (and distance) of the object you're squinting at. Play around, you'll see what I'm trying to say.

In case I'm not clear....pick an object, across the room. Hold your two fingers close to your eye...move your hand out and back...see???

Yes....given the relative difference in diameter, between the Moon and Earth. The Earth, at 240,000 miles away will appear larger than the Moon, fromthe same distance.

Keep in mind, though....a lot of our size judgement relies on other relative sizes, we subconsciously compare to. Familiar sizes.

This is one reason the Full Moon, viewed from Earth, will sometimes appear abnormally large, when low on the horizon. Optical illusion....

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by fatdad

it seams to me that the same frozen comets that bombarded the earth also hit the moon....

Bingo!!!

Very astute!!

Moon is a smaller target, of course....but still, given the amount of time involved.....

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join