It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The war for Internet lockdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I highly recommend the following video, which explains the context of "net neutrality" and increasing struggle to control and restrict the Internet content.

60% of the content on the internet is produced by PEOPLE rather than corporations. For network TV, the percentage is ZERO. This is the goal for the net among those want to turn the Internet into another corporate playground, safe and sanitized. This is especially important for those who love ATS and "alternative" sites...our freedom is at stake!

[edit on 9/23/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Hi, I can't watch the video. From all I've been reading net neutrality is a good thing for us consumers. It's getting opposition from the likes of AT&T which says to me it must be a super good thing. From what I can tell it prevents Internet providers from limiting the kind of information the customers can receive and from preventing them from providing you degraded service. ISP's like AT&T want to be able to capitalize off of your Internet usage above and beyond what you're paying for service. They also want to be able to limit people's usage because they are using too much bandwidth like people who download lots of movies. When in reality they are at fault for advertising more bandwidth then they can realistically afford. If they can't provide everyone with X gigabytes of data per month they shouldn't be offering it. I think ISPs have been ripping off computer illiterate consumers way too much and they've been getting away with it which limits the options for educated consumers.

Of course, I could be the victim of propaganda and maybe this is a bad thing. Can you enlighten me with some trustworthy links?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by theyreadmymind

I basically agree with your analysis, and the video paints a similar picture, although from a different angle. The idea is that the big content corporations want to control CONTENT and will try to END net neutrality and essentially create a "second internet" that will replace the first. This new internet will be much more like a TV experience, with a limited number of "TV-channel-like" sites to choose from and increasing limitations on the ability of "the little guy" to get his voice heard.

The video also posits two interesting paralells in history.

1) The printing press: In its early centuries, printing was cheaper and many views proliferated in public posters, broadsides, pamphlets, etc. published by normal citizens. These materials inflammed the revolutionary era, for example. But by the late 1800s, the cost of printing had soared and the newspapers had sprung up, providing a more organized but much less diverse amount of information...and of course covering up or ignoring sensitive issues.

2) Radio: Similar story -- in the 1920s there were thousands of home-made radio operations set up by individuals, broadcasting all sorts of content in a free and unregulated manner. Then the FCC stepped in. The result was the creation of a limited number of "channels" (dominated my mainstream media giants, again).

The Internet is the next target for squeezing out controversal or exposee-like information and delivering a "smoother, improved, streamlined" digital experience where content is limited and sanitized by, you guessed it...the MSM.

new topics

join