It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meditation 

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Hello!

I am 18 years old and currently studying at university. I have been told by many "Psychics" that I have "The Gift" and I could achieve great things if I develop these "Gifts"...

One of the things I was told was too meditate regularly, so I was wondering if people could give me tips and information first hand instead of gathering useless articles off the internet!

I am living at University halls in the city, and there are constant noises and music being played, so I was wondering does anyone have tips for me...

Where do I even begin to start...

[edit on 23-9-2009 by The Songwriter]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
All you do is pay more attention. That sucks about it being so noisy around you, though.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I personally went down the Taoist route, rather than transcendental. I found it much more based on bodily sensation, and the movement of ch'i, which I already understood well from taichi.

It's really quite simple. Start with taoist, or reverse, breathing. Let your abdomen (and your dan tien, the point an inch or so below your navel) expand outwards when you exhale, and move in, towards your spine, when you inhale. Concentrate on your breathing, and nothing else.

When you can do this easily you have to get in a position in which the flow of energy around your body is unimpeded. This is difficult to explain, much easier to show. You can sit in a chair, but the full lotus position is the best for deep meditation as it concentrates the energy in the upper body. Your back should be straight, not with your chest puffed out but so you can run a hand up your back and not feel any dips or bumps in your spine. Your head should be held as if it is suspended by a wire right at the crown of your head, directly above where your spine joins the skull, your chin should be slightly lower than this point. Your shoulders should be held as if there is a tennis ball under each armpit, not against your sides. You will feel the difference when you get this right. Lastly, you lips should be closed, your lower jaw relaxed so that there is a very slight gap between your upper and lower teeth. The tip of your tongue should be touch the upper teeth at the gum-line.

Now you will be ready to start the lesser heavenly circulation. Your mind leads your energy, so imagine that you are breathing in energy with each inhale. Feel it traveling down your chest as it fills your lungs, then draw it down further to your navel. As you exhale, send it further down, through your genitals and perineum. Inhale again, and feel the energy going up your spine, exhale when it reaches the middle of your back, and let your next inhalation draw it up over the back of your skull to the crown and through your brain, then through the bridge in your jaw made by the tip of your tongue. Now start the circulation again. A flood of saliva at this point shows you are getting it right.

Spend some time letting this become natural, and then you can start emptying your mind. Let thoughts come, do not fight them, but also do not attach to them. Let them be like bubbles in water that rise from the depths and then burst. Soon you will be able to ignore them, and then they will stop coming.

Then, just keep practising.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
this is THE BEST meditation article I've ever read

www.attan.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ancient_wisdom
this is THE BEST meditation article I've ever read

www.attan.com...

I was struck by the similarities between the taoist and buddhist traditions, particularly with regards to posture:

When the spinal column is properly aligned it strengthens the nervous system. When the neck is in proper alignment it insures that all the air that needs to be expired is expired. When the tongue is placed against the roof of the mouth and the eyes are properly focused the inner physical body’s organs are nourished with vitality. In sum, when the posture is correct the body is in better harmony with us. But our mind still needs further training. Our inner vision needs to be converted from a coarse vision, attuned to the outer world of sensory objects, to a subtle vision which can see the invisible world of spirit that is antecedent to the entire body.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I chant a mantra from this discipline.

www.sgi-uk.org...

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Thank you everyone for giving me some tips and advice! I will be putting them into motion...

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Forgive this, but today there is a push on to awaken to your own spiritual awareness. You can spend years in meditation and not even meet the inner teacher, your higher-self. So I think it more effective to forego the traditions and jump right in where you will meet the Teacher Within.

With this in mind, you might like to try the simplified methods I used and have been sharing now for over 10 years. They work very well for anyone who takes the experiences seriously enough as pointing direction for their further research and experimentation.

You can find the methods and simplified concepts by clicking on the link in my signature

Good luck and be well.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
www.project-meditation.org...

You can download free meditation guide cd, its really great.

new topics

top topics

join