It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fist bump! Long lost African greeting?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Ok it was embarrassing enough when Obama and his stupid wife........oops I mean the "First Lady" fist bumped each other on national t.v. But now we have another American politician teaching of all people the DaLi Lama how to do it? Tacky, unsophisticated, embarrassing!!!!!!!!!!!

I know Asian cultures are known for bowing in front of others as a form of greeting. Other cultures like Middle Eastern cultures kiss hands. Is the "fist bump" an African custom?

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
No it is not.

Its an african american custom, although many people of all ethnicities use it as a way to praise or greet someone. I don't see the point of this thread though..

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I use the fist bump with my friends. I'm a white kid, I really don't see what the problem is. It is a greeting which indicates trust and friendship. Not to mention it is much more sanitary than shaking hands.

All in all, it isn't a big deal, it's just a new greeting that has emerged in the last few decades.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It's tacky and unsophisticated. That's the problem..........you two, obviously much younger don't see anything wrong with it. It's a pop culture thing hardly a customary tradition. If I'm at a dinner party meeting someone for the first time or if I greet my doctor should I fist bump him? We are not talking about friends in private. We are talking about heads of state and other important political leaders doing it in formal settings. It's not a formal greeting. It's stupid. The point of this thread? What's the point of half the threads on ATS? It's political discourse i.e. OPINION! If you think the thread or the topic is worthless don't post in it.

It's symbolic of the twilight of American culture.

new topics

top topics

join