It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Novartis Chip To Help Ensure Bitter Pills Are Swallowed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Novartis Chip To Help Ensure Bitter Pills Are Swallowed

www.ft.com

Patients who fail to pop pills on time could soon benefit from having a chip on their shoulder, under a ground-breaking electronic system being developed by Novartis, the Swiss pharmaceuticals group.

The company is testing technology that inserts a tiny microchip into each pill swallowed and sends a reminder to patients by text message if they fail to follow their doctors’ prescriptions...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Oh brother, well Big Brother that is!

Too much! They are developing this under the guise of concern!

The Government is supposedly so concerned that they do not see the benefits in patients that drug companies claim and promote...so they will allow microchips to be inserted in the
pills?

What is next I wonder?

www.ft.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I'm on medication for a hearth condition and the invention seems useful to me. I can imagine there are people with more serious problems than I have, for whom to lapse on a particular medicine intake can be dangerous (there are some drugs you need to take continuously and withdraw off carefully).

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Awesome.

What's the frequency and data communication protocol? Is it in a patent?

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
I'm on medication for a hearth condition and the invention seems useful to me. I can imagine there are people with more serious problems than I have, for whom to lapse on a particular medicine intake can be dangerous (there are some drugs you need to take continuously and withdraw off carefully).

Yep. People can assign all the negative thoughts and connotations of what "could" happen, but that thinking impedes technology gains dramatically. For some people, they must take medicine every day, every time, on time, or die. For them, this could literally mean life and death. I support this, though of course I don't support it's being used by "Big Brother" to force feed us pills, so please don't assign these ideas to me in any case. I wouldn't want that, I just would like people not to die from forgetting to take their medicine.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Once the frequency and data communication protocols are reverse engineered, we could all walk down the street and discover who is taking what drugs.

Awesome!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Seems like a good way to catch drug smugglers/dealers but also could be a windfall for criminals.

It would be pretty hard to smuggle pharms through airports if they have microchips in them.

How about readers that are sensitive enough for cops to drive down the street and see who has pills in their house, how many, what kind.

Would also help with search warrants, just walk around a suspects house with a scanner to find the hidden stash.

On the flip side criminals could use the same tech to find drug caches in shipments, trucks, homes, etc.

If the pills send text messages you could intercept this data, punch it into a database and track pills in real time.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by lucentenigma]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Before everybody hyperventilates, remember that RFID and other such devices can be shielded by a metal container (in cases when a simple Aluminum foil doesn't work -- this depends of the frequency). Sounds like a solution to me, in case I want to keep my pills private

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
And just what would be the implications of a faulty chip? Supposed a person came to rely on this tecnology as some of you have said, and then the chip fails. You know, like your hard drive failing.

I can just see this debacle now. This is a totally ridiculous way of managing anyones medical care.

This opens the door for lawsuits galore...
not to mention malpratice suits, and even deaths for some patients.

I say it is no good, period!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
And just what would be the implications of a faulty chip? Supposed a person came to rely on this tecnology as some of you have said, and then the chip fails.

Thousands of people rely on pacemakers, and these are more complex pieces of technology. Lots of people have heart valves transplants, and sometimes these fail, too, with catastrophic results. Speed sensors fail on airplanes (remember that Air France crash). It's life, my friend.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Not the same at all. A pacemaker is obviously the last stop hope and can not be compared to taking a medication.

These chips will be mass produced, on a scale comparable to rfid chips, not made with the specs required for a pacemaker.

They will be cheap, and many of them will be faulty and will fail.

I say that each person should be resonsible for thier own medication, and if they need help beyond that, well they should be in a nursing home.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
I say that each person should be resonsible for thier own medication, and it they need help beyond that , well they should be in a nursing home.

I'm in a relatively good health and solid memory. I have a busy life, though, with kids and all, and in daily chaos I do sometimes forget to make a trip to the medicine cabinet. You trying to commit me to a nursing home is silly at best and a little offensive.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

That comment was not directed at you, please be assured.
I am referring to anyone who can not remember to take a medication. A busy lilfestlye is an indication that one can remember.

A chip is no way to manage someones healthcare, seriously that is my point.

new topics

top topics

join