It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: World failing to deal with challenges

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Obama: World failing to deal with challenges

www.cnn.com

NEW YORK (CNN) -- President Obama said Wednesday that the nations of the world are failing to work together to confront the most pressing challenges of today.

"Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges," Obama said, in his first speech as president to the U.N. General Assembly. "If we are honest with ourselves, we need to admit that we are not living up to that responsibility."

Obama cited issues such as terrorism, long-running conflicts, nuclear proliferation, climate change, poverty and pandemic disease, then added:
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The Council for Foreign Relations agenda has been officially outlined for the year! More to look forward on the War on Terrorism, the War on Pan-Epidemic Diseases, the War on Global Warming, and the War on Non-Proliferation ahead!

The world is failing to unite on these horrors (we must need a one world government) leaders aren’t being responsible about these things (we must need Obama to lead this one world government) but alas of course we fail to talk about that the very people advocating for a more aggressive unified stance are the very same people causing the divisions and the problems in the first place!

Our corporate and political leaders seem to speak in code to one another by talking about what we must confront seems to encourage some of them to go out and do those horrible things, and overplay those horrible things until we just all say; hey we need a one world government. Sadly it’s the same people who screwed up this world who will be in charge of that world! Oh boy!

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Obama said Iran and North Korea "must be held accountable" if they continue to ignore international nuclear weapons treaties.

"If the governments of Iran and North Korea choose to ignore international standards; if they put the pursuit of nuclear weapons ahead of regional stability and the security and opportunity of their own people; if they are oblivious to the dangers of escalating nuclear arms races in both East Asia and the Middle East -- then they must be held accountable," Obama said.

Of course if you are on the ‘Preferred’ ‘A List’ of nations that don’t abide by these rules and regulations that’s ok.
Even if you actually do the things you fear someone on the ‘B’ ‘Non-Preferred’ list is suspected of wanting to do, and hasn’t done while your ‘Preferred’ ‘A List’ nation does all of those things, presumably because some ‘B’ list nation is planning on doing it first and the ‘A List’ nation must beat them to the punch!

Of course we never talk about those things at the U.N. instead it’s more like a dysfunctional American Family at Thanksgiving, some of the relatives can’t be seated together and some things just can’t be talked about!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I love how he stated " We need not go and dominate other countries ". Yet we are? whether or not we are actually trying to take them over its beside the fact, just our presence in area dominates the flow of life in that surrounding area.

Now Gadhafi is speaking, and getting pretty heated over his voice not being heard, and the seats for less popular representatives aren't permanent, they make a speech and disappear. He's calling the Security council resolution " terrorism " requests it be vetoed.

add on your highlights if your watching.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by 10001011]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
We do have global concerns and the UN's purpose is to bring the countries of the world together to face the challenges that we, as a planet, face. I'm not sure I understand your concern...

I don't think we need a one-world government, and I don't think anyone is suggesting that, but we do need to start respecting other countries and working together with them instead of what we've been doing recently, which is alienating, invading, ACTING like the world police and just generally pissing people off.

UN

WE THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED NATIONS DETERMINED to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, which twice in our lifetime has brought untold sorrow to mankind, and to reaffirm With in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women, and of nations large and small, and to establish conditions under which justice and respect for the obligations arising from treaties and other sources of international law can be maintained, and to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom....

I heard Obama speak and I thought it was fantastic.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

The jist of Obama's message is fine my friend, even commendable in some ways, what isn't is the fact that too little real communication takes place because of some leaders predispositions.

If you are the President of Iran or Venezualla, or Libya in other words you represent the places that don't always or completely agree with how some things are being done, you get ignored, and rediculed and the cheif leaders from other nations basically encourage everyone to not even attend or listen to them when they do speak.

It's no way to influence enemies or to win friends, by not giving them a fair and equal say and then entering an honest debate with them, we don't do that, we make the process dictatorial and advesarial and because of that solutions do lag.

To many of these leaders (all of them really) act like children on a playground when it comes to hearing, listening, considering and talking with one another, and just like kids, each says and claims it's the others fault and justified.

The world suffers for that, we all suffer for that.

It's a disengenuous process because of that.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
The Council for Foreign Relations agenda has been officially outlined for the year! More to look forward on the War on Terrorism, the War on Pan-Epidemic Diseases, the War on Global Warming, and the War on Non-Proliferation ahead!

The world is failing to unite on these horrors (we must need a one world government) leaders aren’t being responsible about these things (we must need Obama to lead this one world government) but alas of course we fail to talk about that the very people advocating for a more aggressive unified stance are the very same people causing the divisions and the problems in the first place!

Our corporate and political leaders seem to speak in code to one another by talking about what we must confront seems to encourage some of them to go out and do those horrible things, and overplay those horrible things until we just all say; hey we need a one world government. Sadly it’s the same people who screwed up this world who will be in charge of that world! Oh boy!

You know something, there really is something to reading between the lines, and I don't think anybody could have done it any better than you just did. You mentioned practically everything. Excellent work, star and flag for you, additional compliments to the chef.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Thank you BH! It's good to see some adult supervision on this thread!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

Thank you my friend, just to give one example yesterday 100,000 Faux Editions of the New York Post showed up on the streets of New York City before the real New York Post hit the stands.

It was all a spoof on Climate change from cover to cover written and published by an orginization that wants to illustrate how so many of these 'issues' like climate change are entirely contrived for the most part for control and to make money.

More and more people are seeing the hypocracy and behind the scenes manipulation and collusion going on, and addressing the world's problems and simply highlighting them to exploit them by handing out contracts and checks to the 'usual suspects' who don't do anything but keep exploiting them isn't a solution. It makes for pretty speeches, it makes for corporate profits, it makes for higher taxes and fewer rights and privelages, but it rarely makes the world a better place and usually has the opposite effect.

Thanks for posting my friend!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Thank you BH! It's good to see some adult supervision on this thread!

Hunka a brilliant off topic post that couldn't even meet the two line ATS Terms and Conditions requirements as usual!

You must work for the U.N. too, the point is WE AREN'T KIDS.

We can actually read the rules and respond to the rules that make sense.

Most citizens do abide the sensible laws, and try to live their lives doing no harm.

Our leaders don't though, and it's really them that need more Adult Supervision and not the people who stand up and point out the hypocritic actions and statements made by the U.N. and it's cheif principals as they try very hard to disenfranchise anyone who doesn't agree with them in a dictatorial process, through very similiar actions as your own.

Thanks for the off topic post buddy!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

You obviously missed the thumbs up on the second line...

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I realize there are always dangers in parsing, BUT....

i don't think the man has ever previously said one single thing that I agree with, but (if nothing else) I have to agree with this:

"Those who used to chastise America for acting alone in the world cannot now stand by and wait for America to solve the world's problems alone."

I still CANNOT believe, though, that he actually used the word "world order" in a UN speech. In any context.

But, we cannot say we didn't see it coming!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
The jist of Obama's message is fine my friend, even commendable in some ways, what isn't is the fact that too little real communication takes place because of some leaders predispositions.

But this isn't the place for an intervention or harsh discussion. Those take place behind closed doors, one leader to another. We have to be careful, TACTFUL and diplomatic when all the leaders of the world meet in one big room. It's not like Thanksgiving dinner, it's like an event attended by the KKK, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Skinheads, Focus on the Family, the LGBT head, Planned Parenthood and Christians against Abortion.

You can't just go in there and start calling people out or you'd have a global town hall on your hands. You don't let Al Sharpton or a flaming transsexual get up and say their piece. It could start a war.

If countries don't abide by the international laws, then yeah, they get the cold shoulder.

It's no way to influence enemies or to win friends, by not giving them a fair and equal say and then entering an honest debate with them, we don't do that, we make the process dictatorial and advesarial and because of that solutions do lag.

We can enter honest debate, but not in the presence of their enemies. It's just too volatile, IMO.

To many of these leaders (all of them really) act like children on a playground when it comes to hearing, listening, considering and talking with one another, and just like kids, each says and claims it's the others fault and justified.

The world suffers for that, we all suffer for that.

I agree with this part. But we have to move toward having a dialog. Some of the countries are so upset with each other right now, no dialog can take place. I want that to change, but it's going to take time.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

The term world order, even New World Order is used all the time by politicians. It usually is intended to mean the "way things are".

I have a quote by President Clinton in one of my Cruise Books from the Navy which says:

This is a new and hopeful world, but one full of danger. I am convinced that your country, through you, has a historic role in trying to make sure that there is, after all, a new world order, rooted in peace, dedicated to prosperity and opportunity.

The American people have placed their faith in you, and you have placed your life at the service of your country. The faith is well placed, and I thank you.

-President Bill Clinton March 12, 1993

[edit on 23-9-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1
I still CANNOT believe, though, that he actually used the word "world order" in a UN speech. In any context.

The term "world order" was around long before there was a conspiracy about it. It's like someone using the term 9/11. It's the conspirators who give it the "scary" meaning. It's a perfectly legitimate term.

And it's not like it slipped out. His speech was carefully crafted.

I agree with you about his statement on the world not depending on the US to fix everything.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

You miss the point I fear entirely my friend.

If the World Body is meant to give all the nations of the world a platform and some leaders are greeted not by respectful consideration but widely publicized appeals to be ignored and for others not to even attend and listen then the whole purpose of a meeting place for a World Body is mute and null and void...let me provide an example:

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Iran's controversial president, was scheduled to speak early Wednesday evening.

An Israeli official has called on leaders to leave the U.N. General Assembly when he delivers his address.

"We call on world leaders to leave plenum when Ahmadinejad begins rant and not give legitimacy to the most dangerous anti-Semite since Hitler," Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister Danny Ayalon posted on Twitter.

So I ask you what makes any one leader's or group of leader's claims about themselves or other leaders and nations any more valid than an others that they would engage in such shameless and shamefull entreaties to deny anyone a voice in the world body before they have actually spokeon?

Your idea of procedural protocol is simply nothing but an endorsement of not using the U.N. for it's purpose to work out difference and instead to highlight differences through a dictatorial type of approach where those deemed not 'credible' by the 'chosen' few, and elite nations, are slandered in their purpose and intent before even speaking.

That makes a mockery of the whole proceeding and smacks of trying to control agendas in a non-democratic way.

Everyone should be heard and this comes from the Greeks who invented democracy.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
As usual, the future looks about as bright as a coal mine.

Obama is being played. Im sure he has good intentions, but he doesnt realize he is laying the foundation for the fascist new world order.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

As usual, the future looks about as bright as a coal mine.

Obama is being played. Im sure he has good intentions, but he doesnt realize he is laying the foundation for the fascist new world order.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by Copernicus]

Sadly my friend it is us citizens of the world stuck as the proverbial cannaries with these despots in control, and apparently they are anxious to see us all croak!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I will think that Obamas latest speech is to get the G20 ready for the changes that he will be putting on the table on their upcoming meeting.

Many of the issues that he is addressing in this speech are actually what I read a few days ago that will be the main topic of his G20 address.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Sadly my friend it is us citizens of the world stuck as the proverbial cannaries with these despots in control, and apparently they are anxious to see us all croak!

Why is it so many world leaders appear to be psychopaths?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join